PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Biggest Losers and Winners on Day 1?

I think the Patriots are winners.

We got a QB who should at least be around league average and we did not give up draft capital to get him. Mac Jones might not be a superstar, but he at least will be top 10-15 which is enough to win if we surround him the right way. Maybe he can be more, but I doubt he will be less. He seems like a pretty safe bet.

Winners:

Giants - pick up an extra first rounder next year and get a dynamic player.

Jets - get their future QB

Pats - get their future QB without mortgaging the farm

Losers:

Packers- don't get another weapon for Rodgers

Bengals - they should have drafted sewell

Cowboys - lose out on surtain and horn

Last edited:
It seems that a lot (but not all) of the teams that traded up were losers, but the biggest loser by far has to be San Francisco. They blew three first rounders on an inferior QB that they could have nabbed if they stayed put. I doubt Lance beats out JimmyG for the starting QB job. John Lynch is kaput. And what the heck were the Jets thinking?

As far as biggest winners, I would have to say the Dolphins and Patriots.
I agree that Trey Lance sure doesn't seem to me to be a QB worth 3 first rounders to get..... IMHO they would have looked like geniuses if they turned that #3 pick into Aaron Rodgers but that trade obviously never materialized (and Lord only knows if there was ever any validity to it in the first place)....

He played 1 single season of 1-AA football (FCS). While he ran circles around the opposition, how many future NFLers were there on the FCS defenses he faced? Maybe a grand total of 10?

Potentially, if sing further sour, the Packers are by far the biggest losers. I mean, frustrating a franchise QB and not having a suitable solution (I don't think Love is lighting the world on fire this Fall) is far worse than "drafting a bust"... you could aegue they are massive generational losers. One champhionship ? With the number of times they had ops...

It seems that a lot (but not all) of the teams that traded up were losers, but the biggest loser by far has to be San Francisco. They blew three first rounders on an inferior QB that they could have nabbed if they stayed put. I doubt Lance beats out JimmyG for the starting QB job. John Lynch is kaput. And what the heck were the Jets thinking?

As far as biggest winners, I would have to say the Dolphins and Patriots.
Dolphins are putting together a WAGON.....not sold on their QB though.

Saints Bucs Raiders looked like a reach imo. Bills with Rousseau idk if i would like that.
Giants Cowboys and Vikings made smart trades. Jets as well. I don't understand the second Jags pick in etienne. I understand the connection etc..but I would have picked an OT.

Don’t know how the Bucs reach. Tryon would have been a likely first rounder had he play. He reminds me of a more athletic chandler jones.

Potentially, if sing further sour, the Packers are by far the biggest losers. I mean, frustrating a franchise QB and not having a suitable solution (I don't think Love is lighting the world on fire this Fall) is far worse than "drafting a bust"... you could aegue they are massive generational losers. One champhionship ? With the number of times they had ops...
At this point the Packers are just trolling Rodgers...it's only a matter of time before he leaves.

The issue ultimately comes down to ownership in GB...there is none. There is no one to hold the GM accountable

Last edited:

We got a QB who should at least be around league average and we did not give up draft capital to get him. Mac Jones might not be a superstar, but he at least will be top 10-15 which is enough to win if we surround him the right way. Maybe he can be more, but I doubt he will be less. He seems like a pretty safe bet.

I think mac jones will be a star. I am probably as about high on him as others. Get the players around him. I think they can use another wideout.

Winners: Vikings, Eagles, Chargers, Patriots, Dolphins, Bills
Losers: Da Raiders, again, Giants, although another 1st next year is good, Packers

I saw Mac Jones as a high floor pick, which is exactly what we needed right now. I also like reports of his decision making and accuracy so while the pick is high floor, that doesn't mean the ceiling is low. And we got a QB of a kind that our franchise knows exactly how to make the most of.

Maybe I'm being petty but I feel like the Bears lose not for drafting Fields but for how much they gave up for him. I wanted the Pats to trade up but if it took next year's first that would've been too much

Dolphins are putting together a WAGON.....not sold on their QB though.
Brian Flores is very,, very good and Dolphins management seems to be on point so far. The Bills are the team to beat right now but we're gonna have a dogfight on our hands to get to second place.

Think the Pats did well, got who they wanted without sacrificing any draft assets... or bowing to the whims of Shanahan.

Mac Jones with his 77% completion record in a similar offense will flourish here, need to be patient.. but with the addition of our TE's and James White the Pats, when Jones does start they can revert to the "dink and dunk" offense, it is about moving the chains.

I really like this pick..

Think the Pats did well, got who they wanted without sacrificing any draft assets... or bowing to the whims of Shanahan.

Mac Jones with his 77% completion record in a similar offense will flourish here, need to be patient.. but with the addition of our TE's and James White the Pats, when Jones does start they can revert to the "dink and dunk" offense, it is about moving the chains.

I really like this pick..

I think they can use another wideout with speed.

Maybe I'm being petty but I feel like the Bears lose not for drafting Fields but for how much they gave up for him. I wanted the Pats to trade up but if it took next year's first that would've been too much

I think the pats had jones over fields as their number one target. He felt to their lap.

I think the pats had jones over fields as their number one target. He felt to their lap.
Yup. I think that Mac's topless photo did it! As much as we enjoy snorking and chortling about his Stay Puff body, it may have alowed him to drop to the Patriots. And what was his 40 time? 6.9 or something Brady-esque?

Yup. I think that Mac's topless photo did it! As much as we enjoy snorking and chortling about his Stay Puff body, it may have alowed him to drop to the Patriots. And what was his 40 time? 6.9 or something Brady-esque?

Lol when did brady run a 4.83? One thing about brady he has worked on his mobility throughout his career and it has gotten better.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back