PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2024 QB/PTP Thread

I'll probably post this multiple times in multiple places, but here is a list of First or Second team All Pros picked in the top 10 by position and year from 2000 on. The 6 All Pro QBs were Carson Palmer (1st), Matt Ryan (3rd), Cam (1st), Wentz (2nd), and Mahomes (10th).

2011 was a disaster for QB needy teams. QB2 Jake Locker and QB3 Blaine Gabbert were the only 2 who didn't end up being an All Pro. Heck they weren't even Pro Bowlers. What hurts is that JJ Watt was picked at #11. QB4 Christian Ponder was at #12. Ouch.

This is just informational.

1710521447308.png

Yes it is, thanks… a combination of Predicted Playoff Depression and a bunch of driving between Hershey PA and Boston to look at houses/condos…
IMG_1275.jpeg

Happy for you @captain stone, back where you belong, out of Fecals territory

By the way this is totally how I picture you, or at least the 1980s you

Last edited:
Spencer Rattler, the number one ranked QB out of high school who was benched in favor of Caleb Williams while both were at Oklahoma, isafascinating player to watch this draft.

After the bad stint with the Sooners, he showed maturity, poise, and leadership with the Gamecocks. Dude’s arm talent is undeniable and real.

Rattler looks like a second-rounder or, at worst, an early third pick to me.

Possible first round surprise? I just love this kid.

Last edited:

This guy, ahem, a former Jets scout, says Caleb Williams has bust written all over him. I agree with both his opinions. Hey, a stopped clock is right twice a day, right?

The Patriots could be facing an interesting conundrum.

Apparently they are not high on Drake Maye. Whether it's smoke and mirrors or not, it's kind of out there that they aren't overly impressed with him.

However, WFT seem to be very high on Jayden Daniels at pick 2, which would leave the Patriots with the option of taking a QB they don't believe in at 3 or trading back, picking up a Joe Alt or Malik Nabers and getting the QB at the top of the second round.

JJ McCarthy will be gone by then. That leaves, if we're lucky, Bo Nix, Michael Penix and Spencer Rattler as the only realistic prospects. But Michael Penix is out of the equation if we believe the reports, the Patriots haven't spoke to him at any point, and didn't attend his pro day.

So it's Nix/Rattler and a top LT or WR prospect (maybe both of we get Vikings two first rounders) or Drake Maye. Do you roll the dice or just go with Maye?

I like Caleb Williams for the flipside of this. Even if he can't read defenses, he can throw on the run, make space for himself, and make incredible off-platform throws. LOL. Defenses can't dictate to him.

Hoping for another QB who "gets it" in the pocket is a 50/50 proposition at best.
Can't read defenses? Pass.
Watching his Pro Day, Bo Nix has an arm. I'm calculating at least 67 air yards on one completed throw. Gotta be honest. I hated on the guy in the beginning of the process months ago, but he's really grown on me.
Yeah, I am liking that kid as well. I would be pleased with Alt at 3 and then Nix at 34. Big risk doing that, tho. Better to trade back with someone and get multiple 1's and take Nix later in R1. I posted earlier that I feel Nix is getting east coast bias, no shiny Heisman trophies, no natty championship trophies.

Can't read defenses? Pass.

Yeah, I am liking that kid as well. I would be pleased with Alt at 3 and then Nix at 34. Big risk doing that, tho. Better to trade back with someone and get multiple 1's and take Nix later in R1. I posted earlier that I feel Nix is getting east coast bias, no shiny Heisman trophies, no natty championship trophies.
All the Scouts are saying Nix will never start in the NFL. Nix is like having a Zappe.

All the Scouts are saying Nix will never start in the NFL. Nix is like having a Zappe.
I Dont Care Whatever GIF

This guy, ahem, a former Jets scout, says Caleb Williams has bust written all over him. I agree with both his opinions. Hey, a stopped clock is right twice a day, right?

I said that about Williams as well. Your point?

JJ McCarthy will be gone by then. That leaves, if we're lucky, Bo Nix, Michael Penix and Spencer Rattler as the only realistic prospects. But Michael Penix is out of the equation if we believe the reports, the Patriots haven't spoke to him at any point, and didn't attend his pro day.
Pats' new WR coach Tyler Hughes was in charge of UW's QC on Offense last year during his "sabbatical" from the Pats. To say he's got the inside scoop would be an understatement.

Also, UW's pro day isn't until next week - same day as UNC's. Hughes should probably go to UNC while OL coach Peters should go to UW.

The Patriots could be facing an interesting conundrum.

Apparently they are not high on Drake Maye. Whether it's smoke and mirrors or not, it's kind of out there that they aren't overly impressed with him.

However, WFT seem to be very high on Jayden Daniels at pick 2, which would leave the Patriots with the option of taking a QB they don't believe in at 3 or trading back, picking up a Joe Alt or Malik Nabers and getting the QB at the top of the second round.

So it's Nix/Rattler and a top LT or WR prospect (maybe both of we get Vikings two first rounders) or Drake Maye. Do you roll the dice or just go with Maye?
I think you are definitely on to something. JJ McCarthy looks as though he could go EARLY in the first round. So dropping back is indeed problematic.

If we do the Vikings trade—they get 3 and we get 11, 23, and another high pick next year—likely means JJM is gone. He’s the guy after the LSU kid they may be high on.

So bolster the offense this year and wait next year for a QB? Or follow the plan and bring in a rookie QB to learn the ropes behind esteemed journeyman Jacoby Brissett?

I would trade back. But I think the Patriots FO wants to get their guy at QB.

My prediction; McCarthy>Maye. Even at 3 if they can work a slight trade down to like 5.

I want to go on record that Spencer Rattler will have just as good a pro career as those two. And he could be gotten by us in round 3. (But I think he’s climbing up the boards, too.)

One of The Athletic's writers is mocking McCarthy to the Patriots at #3 (Drake Maye to the Vikings at #4). This is all speculation, but McCarthy's stock is rising and I am starting to believe that McCarthy will be drafted in the top 6. Teams think McCarthy is high character and doesn't make the WTF plays that Drake Maye does. In addition, McCarthy ran a pro offense at college so the transition shouldn't be as difficult. Neither Maye nor McCarthy are going to start Week 1 but there is a lot of smoke around McCarthy's rise.

I think Maye is still better as a prospect due to his superior arm but I'm not sure why teams are souring on Maye all of a sudden.

I watched parts of a video of a season of passes and runs of Williams, Daniels, Maye, and McCarthy. My impressions:
1 McCarthy stands in ready to throw. He uses short quick steps to avoid pressure. His receives are usually very well covered, but he still can accurately fire the ball to them. Few interceptions. He seems to have high velocity on almost all of his throws, but his receivers catch them. Doesn’t make many touch throws.
2 Mayes is next best. He may have the highest ceiling, but he often seems indecisive, especially when pressured. He seems to lumber out of the pocket and takes a while to reach full speed. Has good accuracy on his throws and is physically tough.
3 Williams is extremely elusive! It will be difficult to sack him. His receivers didn’t get good separation, so hard to assess his accuracy, but it doesn’t seem as good as McCarthy and Maye. There was a comment that he has difficulty reading defenses! Not clear to me how good he will be as a pro.
4 Daniels doesn’t seem very accurate at all with his passes. He has high completion rate due to mostly throwing short passes and his receives are usually wide open. Nabers is fantastic at getting open, especially deep. Daniels is very fast and has some quickness, but less elusive than Williams. With his thin frame I share concerns that he’ll be crushed and injured as a pro.
I was hoping the Pats could trade down and still get McCarthy, but looks like they’ll need to use the 3rd pick to ensure they get him; unless he’s already gone. If McCarthy gone, then I’m okay with Maye or a trade down.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back