PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2023 WR/PTP Thread

This guy if available in 3rd round . 23 bench reps. Physical guy. Pretty good route runner. Safe hands. Great contested abilities . Should be a decent Meyers replacement and a foundational piece. If Thornton blazes away , Wilson could see some easier matchups and blaze away on his own. I see a little bit of deebo Samuels in Michael Wilson.

Wilson received most CB1 attention. JSN benefited from the most being in slot.
Not quite. In 2021 JSN was _clearly_ the number one receiving threat of the OSU offense. I know it’s hard to believe but Garrett Wilson was second fiddle in a ridiculously talented receiving corps.

Not quite. In 2021 JSN was _clearly_ the number one receiving threat of the OSU offense. I know it’s hard to believe but Garrett Wilson was second fiddle in a ridiculously talented receiving corps.
I dont think you follow.

JSN saw LB and S in the slot. Very rarely did he see CB1. Wilson received most of that attention.

I think JSN would be a great fit, but the signing of JuJu kinda makes him redundant.

I’m also worried how the JuJu signing would work with JSN given they are both mainly slot guys. I would still love him but I fear from a Pats perspective it might rule him out of being the pick at 14.

I’m starting to think they might use the top picks on an OT and a TE.

I’m also worried how the JuJu signing would work with JSN given they are both mainly slot guys. I would still love him but I fear from a Pats perspective it might rule him out of being the pick at 14.

I’m starting to think they might use the top picks on an OT and a TE.
Historically high picks have been DL, OT or TE.

Jordan Addison is the only wide receiver the patriots should have a first round grade on!

Jordan Addison is the only wide receiver the patriots should have a first round grade on!
Addison is a great route runner but his 4.5 sec 40 scares me. I am not sure he is a perimeter guy that will stretch the field. A great Larry Fitzgerald type?

Just a bit of news out of Vegas (the gambling place not the Raiders).

The Patriots are now the betting favorite to draft Quentin Johnson at (+650). Doesn't mean a lot, but it means something. Dismiss the odds makers at your own peril.

Personally, I don't see it. But I am not a draft guy, so what do I know. I rely on @BaconGrundleCandy for 75% of my knowledge about the incoming college players.

Addison is a great route runner but his 4.5 sec 40 scares me. I am not sure he is a perimeter guy that will stretch the field. A great Larry Fitzgerald type?

I am not sure you have any clue about how to watch game tape, but maybe you can find someone to explain it to you! That being said, when someone who actually knows the game watches addison’s tape from the last two years, and they see how often he presents his numbers to the qb, then you know he has special talent for always being open!!!

I am not sure you have any clue about how to watch game tape, but maybe you can find someone to explain it to you! That being said, when someone who actually knows the game watches addison’s tape from the last two years, and they see how often he presents his numbers to the qb, then you know he has special talent for always being open!!!

Where do you think he will be drafted?

He's plenty fast - 10.85 100m in HS as a junior - 1.87 flying 20 - funny Jakobi has a faster 10 officially but that could be because of... Imho based on the video analysis, JA poorly worked the bush league Combine time measuring system (lift hand to start the 1st gate - have either knee, thigh or groin cross depending on gait progress to stop the 10/20/40 gate), so his time appears to be much slower than it actually should be. Starting to notice that the telltale sign is if the Hand Time is way faster than the Electronic time (in Draft Scout). HT for JA is 4.43. I wouldn't be surprised if his time ends up being around that for his Pro Day in a few days (3/21). I think the Steelers should grab him, but on 2nd thought I hate them so they shouldn't. Similarly, Tre Tucker had a similar if-you-paid-for-combine-training-get-a-refund start, as his Hand time was 4.31 but electronic time was 4.40.

I was initially worried about injury from Pitt to USC and the numbers going way down, but it's just that he played 3 fewer games. Only concern is the weight, but BMI is higher than Devonta and Tyquan.

There's also the "Cooper Kupp ran a 4.62 Combine / 4.61 Pro Day" argument.

There's also the "Cooper Kupp ran a 4.62 Combine / 4.61 Pro Day" argument.

Agreed. The 40 is not everything but does indicate, to some degree, a field stretcher. Kupp, and I mentioned Fitzgerald, are not traditional field stretchers like Hill or Moss or Chase. There are tons of "4.6 sec" busts for every Kupp. I have no idea how to tell. Maybe Addison is the real thing. Thornton is a field stretcher if he takes a Y2 jump.

I still think we need a LT as a priority.

Just a bit of news out of Vegas (the gambling place not the Raiders).

The Patriots are now the betting favorite to draft Quentin Johnson at (+650). Doesn't mean a lot, but it means something. Dismiss the odds makers at your own peril.

Personally, I don't see it. But I am not a draft guy, so what do I know. I rely on @BaconGrundleCandy for 75% of my knowledge about the incoming college players.
I'm someone who believes if we go WR early (RD1) it's either QJ (would be my fav) and then JSN. We love HWS guys and QJ is that plus more.

Im a big "don't ignore the obvious" guy but especially when it comes to Vegas or linemakers. They're some of the most informed people on Earth.

I'm someone who believes if we go WR early (RD1) it's either QJ (would be my fav) and then JSN. We love HWS guys and QJ is that plus more.

Im a big "don't ignore the obvious" guy but especially when it comes to Vegas or linemakers. They're some of the most informed people on Earth.
On that note, the lowest odds for Pats picks in the first round are the 4 top OT. The odds are between (+250) and (+500). Two of the WR's are the next favorites, one of whom is QJ.

Vegas fully expects an OT. Seems obvious, but we shall see.

On that note, the lowest odds for Pats picks in the first round are the 4 top OT. The odds are between (+250) and (+500). Two of the WR's are the next favorites, one of whom is QJ.

Vegas fully expects an OT. Seems obvious, but we shall see.
I think that's the thinking we'll see. Bill loves the big boys and it was a huge, public issue last year. Add in the track record with WR and CB and I see it.

I really dc who we pick, I never do for the most part. I just want the value to line up.

This guy if available in 3rd round . 23 bench reps. Physical guy. Pretty good route runner. Safe hands. Great contested abilities . Should be a decent Meyers replacement and a foundational piece. If Thornton blazes away , Wilson could see some easier matchups and blaze away on his own. I see a little bit of deebo Samuels in Michael Wilson.

Wilson isn't nearly as laterally explosive & creative as Deebo, but I agree with everything else you mentioned... In fact I would take him ahead of another Day 3 guy I like a lot - Jonathan Mingo - because he might have the wherewithal to help bail out Mac on a hot route, in the danger areas and on 3rd down, aka Jacobi Meyers...

Here are the Pats' picks in Rd1-4 over the last ~20yrs. Plates at a Greek wedding have a better chance of staying unbroken than an early drafted WR by the Pats. I hope the announcer says Opa! right after a WR pick in Rd1-4. Is this bad luck (to offset the great fortune of the era), bad players/GM-ing, bad S&C, bad coaching, all of the above, or what? Maybe stop training them like they're (the fictional version of) Frank Dux? Don't answer that, as it's rhetorical that this point and discussed ad nauseam.

2022 - Thornton - injured to start season
2019 - N'Keal - injured to start season
2016 - MMitchell - injured start of 2nd season to effectively end career
2013 - Dobson - injured throughout 1st season and beyond
2013 - Boyce - drafted with a toe injury - guess what? injuries!
2010 - TPrice - injured to start season
2009 - BTate - oh look another drafted with injury
2006 - CJackson - injured to start season
2003 - Bethel - mild injury in rookie minicamp - he had a ruptured spleen 2yrs before his rookie season that led to intestinal blockage year after
2002 - Deion - injured to end season

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back