PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2023 QB/PTP Thread

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
QB/PTP Thread

There are several potential #1 overall picks here if they put it all together. There's no doubt in my mind that guys like Richardson and Stroud will be in that convo with another good year by CJ or a consistent, start to finish, "best performance to date" from Richardson. He's extremely intriguing and NFL types will be drooling over him. 6'4/230 with a cannon arm and athleticism that'll help him hit 21 mph (everyone is running 20 +) He's raw but you can't teach that size & athleticism. Would not be surprised to see him make that jump.

You can throw TVD, Young and a few others as well. There's a lot to work with in this years class and next class fwiw. I'll get more specific later in terms of detail and add more names but this is a good list to start from.

Tier 1A
Will Levis - 6'3/230 - Kentucky

Michael Penix - 6'3/220 - Washington

C.J. Stroud - 6'3/220 - OSU

Tanner McKee - 6'6/225 - Stanford

Anthony Richardson - 6'4/235 - Florida

Bryce Young - 6'/195 - Alabama

Hendon Hooker - 6'4/220 - Tennessee

Tier 1B
Tyler Van Dyke - 6'4/225 - Miami

Devin Leary - 6'1/215 - NC State

Will Rogers - 6'2/210 - Miss St

Clayton Tune - 6'3/215 - Houston

Grayson McCall - 6'3/210 - Coastal Carolina

Aidan O’Connell - 6'3/210 - Purdue

Brennan Armstrong - 6'2/215 - Virginia

Tier 2A
Payton Thorne - 6'2/210 - Michigan St

Grant Wells - 6'2/205 - VA Tech

Max Johnson - 6'5/220 - TAMU

Jaren Hall - 6'1/205 - BYU

Phil Jurkovec - 6'5/225 - BC

Tier 2B
JT Daniels - 6'3/210 - West Virginia

Sam Hartman - 6'1/210 - Wake Forest

Spencer Rattler - 6'1/200 - South Carolina

Gavin Hardison - 6'3/205 - UTEP

Chance Nolan - 6'3/205 - Oregon St

DJ Uiagalelei - 6'4/250 - Clemson

Kedon Slovis - 6'3/215 - Pittsburgh

Taulia Tagovailoa - 5'11/200 - Maryland

Tanner Mordecai - 6'3/220 - SMU

KJ Jefferson - 6'/245 - Arkansas

Tier 3
Bo Nix - 6'3/215 - Oregon

Jake Haener - 6'1/195 - Fresno St

Michael Pratt - 6'2/210 - Tulane

Dillon Gabriel - 6'/200 - OK

Jayden Daniels - 6"3/185 - LSU

Tier 4
Zach Calzada - 6'4/210 - Auburn

Dequan Finn - 6'2/210 - Toledo

Max Duggan - 6'2/215 - TCU

Cameron Rising - 6'2/220 - Utah

Layne Hatcher - 5'11/210 - Texas St

Dylan Hopkins - 6'2/215 - UAB

Cade McNamara - 6'1/210 - Michigan

Brett Gabbert - 6'/210 - Miami (OH)

Jarret Doege - 6'2/210 - Western Kentucky

Last edited:
I feel bad for USC having been stuck with Caleb Williams for next two years.

I’m not a Richardson fan. Has talent but makes bad decisions. Frustrating to watch. I hope he does make that jump.

I’m not a Richardson fan. Has talent but makes bad decisions. Frustrating to watch. I hope he does make that jump.
He's super raw but has the kind of skill-set, package that makes the NFL flip out. If he puts together a 3k, 30/10 year he'll most likely find himself in the convo. Next two classes are very intriguing and then we have a little drop off until these guys start developing. Say to say the QB position has changed and will continue to do so.

This kid is as sought-after as any in a long time.

1657294029978.png

He might be the best player to ever hit the "transfer portal" so......

Edit: I guess my point was that Williams, a tier 1 QB, won't be eligible for the tier 1 QB draft list for two more years.

Last edited:
A healthy Penix is the real deal.

He's gonna have to put on 20ish pounds or he's gonna get killed in the NFL (6'5" but weighs less than Edelman did).
True but he got time. He's quite the athlete and has quite the frame. I'm sure he'll fill out some like Lawrence.

This is totally way out in left field, but I'd be interested in Vanderbilt's Mike Wright (not the former Pats DE) as a converted QB to WR project. Reached 21.8mph this season against Hawaii. 6'4" 195lbs. 10.87 100m in HS. Originally from Georgia like Jakobi. Guessing he might stay another year to get the hang of this whole QB thing, though.

Last edited:
Moving him up

Changed up tiers a bit. Sometimes I like to let them sit all the way through. Sometimes I like to update. In this case most of the "top" guys were in my tier 1 or 2 so I did pretty well. Have to say this is shaping up to be a nice class.

Changed up tiers a bit. Sometimes I like to let them sit all the way through. Sometimes I like to update. In this case most of the "top" guys were in my tier 1 or 2 so I did pretty well. Have to say this is shaping up to be a nice class.
Is the BC kid, Phil Jurkovec, a result of the o line and coaching issues or has he regressed? I’m an eagles fan but live in Texas now, so never get to see them.

Levis has achieved binky status. I have no expectation that he'll end up in New England, but I can root for him (unless he ends up with the JEST).

Tanner McKee is the kind of guy I'd like to see Bill draft if he is available in rounds 3-5. Big, has a strong arm, still needs development. If it doesn't work out, oh well, you didn't spend much to get him. If it does work out, and his mechanics can be cleaned up, you might have something special. Highly doubt he will drop, but it's the type of guy I'd like to see us target. Something different from what we have on the roster.

Is the BC kid, Phil Jurkovec, a result of the o line and coaching issues or has he regressed? I’m an eagles fan but live in Texas now, so never get to see them.
Honestly I think injuries caught up to him a lot and never really allowed him to keep progressing. Injuries are the fastest way to slow development and he missed more than a few games the past few years. I think that's been his biggest obstacle. Tough kid though I'm a fan.

Levis has achieved binky status. I have no expectation that he'll end up in New England, but I can root for him (unless he ends up with the JEST).

I see a lot of Tannehill and Wentz in Levis. I know some will take that as a negative but it's more playing style, size, arm talent etc than actual outcome. He's definitely got some areas to clean up. Actually reminds me of Mac in the sense he has a hell of a time ID free rushers from the second level. Sensing pressure in general. Difference is he never had the OL Mac had and has been running for life a lot. Trying to make something happen.

He'll be a polarizing prospect for sure.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back