PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2023 OT/PTP Thread

Regarding LT, I continue to think there will be at least 3 taken in the top half of the 1st round, and after Saturday I think Paris Johnson will be one of them, with Darnell Wright and Anton Harrison as strong possibilities too. Broderick Jones has a good shot too I think as long as his arms aren’t seen as being too short. I’m convinced that Skoronski will be seen as a guard so not a first 16 guy but someone will take him I think in the 17 - 32 range and will get an excellent player there. None of the prospects, including Johnson, are quite to the level we have seen of the prospects in years past, they all have some evident flaws, but the Pats and plenty of other teams are not going to be able to afford to wait long to address OT needs, as we saw so vividly for the Pats this year.

Regarding RT, I think Dawand Jones is the best I saw this year, he played very well I thought against Georgia. My worry about him for the Pats is whether he in combination with Onwenu will be able to handle speed rushers and blitzers, will they have the agility especially if they are nicked up as a season progresses. Regarding other prospects for RT, it's a bit more of a mystery for me since most of the guys with NFL-level athleticism and skills are playing on the left side, and as we saw with Onwenu and "I hate football now" Isaiah Wynn some guys really seem to only be able to play on a particular side. Nevertheless I think there is good talent to be mined for the future RT in this draft, far better than

For the Pats this evaluation is tougher than usual since they hopefully will be bringing in a new OC and offensive coaches who may have a pretty different idea on what would be the best style to play going forward. Especially in regard to OL they were spoiled by having Dante for so long, they have clearly not had anyone near his caliber since he retired (again). The guys that have come in have I think sort of being trying to succeed with Dante's guys, and they haven't been particularly successful. It's time to find a new direction for it, even if it means parting ways with everyone they currently have - including Strange, Andrews, and Onwenu. That would be tough but considering they basically have Trent Brown and little else at OT, and are relying on Ferentz more than any NFL team ever should, it's as good a time to spend the FA and draft capital they have under the leadership of someone new to solve what I think is the biggest issue for the team right now.

There is some very good talent on the IOL in this draft. Not Quentin Nelson but very good. We may be set there. But one kid I really like is John Michael Schmitz from Minnesota. He could be an upgrade over David Andrews. Big monster type run blocker. He wouldn't get bullied like Andrews does occasionally. I would like him somewhere in the 3rd round. He may go earlier.

I keep going back to Maryland’s LT who makes it look easy in pass protection. I watched him in person in a game where he dominated.

Here he is last season against Michigan. The second clip of him effortlessly stymieing Ojabo will turn nfl heads.

See what I mean?

Last edited:
Not interested in drafting Any Right Tackle-Only dudes for this team. We need to draft a LEFT Tackle before the end of Day 2, and probably another during the latter half of Day 3 as well. Trent Brown, McDermott, Cachoo, UFA, Street FA etc can take care of the RT obligation.

I also don't want any Left GUARDS pretending to be Left Tackles either, as the 5-year Lose/Lose Mistake so clearly demonstrated... Therefore, unless his wingspan miraculously increases by 3" in 3 months, Peter Skoronski probably and sadly is, in the words of Monty Python, right out.

Last edited:
Not interested in ANY Right Tackle-Only dudes for this team. We need to draft a LEFT Tackle before the end of Day 2, and probably another during the later half of Day 3 as well. Trent Brown, McDermott, UFA, Street FA etc can take care of the RT obligation.

I also don't want any Left GUARDS pretending to be Left Tackles either, as the 5-year Lose/Lose Mistake so clearly demonstrated... Therefore, unless his wingspan miraculously increases by 3" in 3 months, Peter Skoronski is, in the words of Monty Python, right out.

After we draft a left OT in Rd 1 or 2, I am OK with a right OT later.

Not interested in drafting Any Right Tackle-Only dudes for this team. We need to draft a LEFT Tackle before the end of Day 2, and probably another during the latter half of Day 3 as well. Trent Brown, McDermott, Cachoo, UFA, Street FA etc can take care of the RT obligation.

I also don't want any Left GUARDS pretending to be Left Tackles either, as the 5-year Lose/Lose Mistake so clearly demonstrated... Therefore, unless his wingspan miraculously increases by 3" in 3 months, Peter Skoronski probably and sadly is, in the words of Monty Python, right out.

Somebody else who is now DEFINITELY right out as an NFL Left Tackle: NDState's Cody Mauch.

Welcome to your new world of Interior OLmen, Cody.

Last edited:
I keep going back to Maryland’s LT who makes it look easy in pass protection. I watched him in person in a game where he dominated.

Here he is last season against Michigan. The second clip of him effortlessly stymieing Ojabo will turn nfl heads.

See what I mean?

Duncan's measurements during the Senior Bowl week: < 300lbs and < 34" arms... Gives me early-day-2 pause...

Alabama's Tyler Steen's arms are 33" on the dot with barely an 80" wingspan...Disappointing.

Syracuse's Matt Bergeron's arms are also < 34", but more importantly I also didn't feel he played particularly well at LT yesterday.

I wouldn't worry too much about arm length.

Matt Light 'only' had 33.5" arms but he was a franchise left tackle for a decade for us.

Obviously having better size/length doesn't hurt.

But I'd be more concerned with the player's abilities on the field, footwork, hand punch, technique, functional strength, movement, ability to mirror, ability to implement the blocking scheme, etc.

Not interested in drafting Any Right Tackle-Only dudes for this team.
I am. I don’t think Trent Brown is an automatic Patriot next season at $12+. I question his work ethic and whether or not football is a priority in his life.

Obviously, a player like #58 for the Tennessee Vols, Darnell Wright, or the RT Jones for Ohio State are definitely worth a looksee.

We have to improve the worst unit in the nfl last year, our OTs.

Here’s the lay if the land on this group by Evan Lazar:
Bringing it to the current draft, it's clear and obvious that the biggest hole on the Patriots roster is offensive tackle. We've laid it out for you before, but Trent Brown is in an expensive contract year ($12.25M), and every right tackle who played a snap for the Pats in 2022 is a free agent (Cannon, Cajuste/RFA, McDermot, Wynn).

Last edited:
I am. I don’t think Trent Brown is an automatic Patriot next season at $12+. I question his work ethic and whether or not football is a priority in his life.

Obviously, a player like #58 for the Tennessee Vols, Darnell Wright, or the RT Jones for Ohio State are definitely worth a looksee.

We have to improve the worst unit in the nfl last year, our OTs.

Here’s the lay if the land on this group by Evan Lazar:
Didn't like the look of Darnell Wright. He got turnstiled twice in the Senior Bowl.

Duncan's measurements during the Senior Bowl week: < 300lbs and < 34" arms... Gives me early-day-2 pause...

Alabama's Tyler Steen's arms are 33" on the dot with barely an 80" wingspan...Disappointing.

Syracuse's Matt Bergeron's arms are also < 34", but more importantly I also didn't feel he played particularly well at LT yesterday.

And Capt Stone continues to ignore Dante Scarneccia's wisdom about arm length.. Glad to see you never change and still believe you're smarter than Guys who did the work for 20+ years. *smh*

See what I mean?

With Klemm on board we know a couple of Offensive Tackles will be in the mix. Don't be so hard on Stueber he did get a red shirt year hopefully he got a little stronger. Good Coaching can go a far way I remember Scar just inserting guys who didn't skip a beat. That said I like what I see from that Duncan kid love his technique.

With Klemm on board we know a couple of Offensive Tackles will be in the mix. Don't be so hard on Stueber he did get a red shirt year hopefully he got a little stronger. Good Coaching can go a far way I remember Scar just inserting guys who didn't skip a beat. That said I like what I see from that Duncan kid love his technique.
I'm still interested to see what Steuber, Hines and Russey can do. Maybe nothing, maybe something.

@BaconGrundleCandy hey what's your take on this guy? Loves the way he moves and mauls at the POA good feet moment too for a Big guy. There is no way I see us not draft this guy look at his last name Jones. :)
Dawand Jones6-7, 3605.40Ohio State

Last edited:

Coach cap: I love Jaelyn Duncan if we can Reach for Cole Strange anything is possible.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back