PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2023 CB/PTP Thread

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
CB/PTP thread

Size has crept in all positions but maybe none more than CB/DB imo. All these kids are big, solid and just aren't giving up much when it comes to the guy across from them. All of Tier 1A are top 25-64 guys imo. Some others will jump in but I think that first wave of guys is pretty deep. Joey Porter's kid has really made himself some money (obligatory do you feel old). Any of those first 4-5 guys could be really really good.

Cam Smith has plus versatility, ball production and speed/quicks. He was pretty high on my tiers last year. Great footwork that allows him to play all types of WR's and cover all types of routes with efficiency. Plus backpedal and balance coming off the line. Very disciplined in his assignments. Doesn't sell out for production but makes plays when they're there. Eyes are always peaking but especially in zone/off. He's a very fast study and processes quickly. Big time compete level. Improved in different areas over the last few years. Like I mentioned he can play a little bit of everything but ideally in a man heavy system with some match, zone mixed in.

Keidron Smith is a kid that's really worked on his game on all levels. Maximizing his strengths (size, quickness, tackle/defending the run) but also really improved on his concerns or weaknesses (overall awareness, instincts and tackling technique) Very good working in a 20 yard box in zone. Makes an impact in different areas- against the run, breaking up passes/int, forced fumbles. Like most of this group a lot will depends on how they test but he's a guy that's made some strides and has experience in different systems, brings experience and production at a high level of play.

Graham, Clark and Mullen all are guys that intrigue me middle-late in the draft.

Couple of names that might end up on my ptp sheet

Tier 1A

Joey Porter Jr - 6'2/190 - PSU

Devon Witherspoon - 6'/180 - Illinois

Christian Gonzalez - 6'2/200 - Oregon

Cam Smith - 6'1/190 - South Carolina

Rejzohn Wright - 6'2/200 - Oregon St

Clark Phillips - 5'11/185 - Utah

Garrett Williams - 6'/190 - Syracuse

Keidron Smith - 6'2/210 - Kentucky

Emmanuel Forbes - 6'/180 - Miss St

Mekhi Garner - 6'2/215 - LSU

Tyrique Stevenson - 6'/215 - Miami

Kelee Ringo - 6'2/205 - Georgia

Cory Trice - 6'3/215 - Purdue

Tier 1B

Josh DeBerry - 5'11/175 - BC

Jaylon Jones - 6'2/205 - TAMU

Eli Ricks - 6'2/195 - Alabama

Tre’Vius Hodges-Tomlinson / TCU / 5’9”, 177

Tarheeb Still - 6'/185 - Maryland

Noah Daniels - 6'/195 - TCU

Quinton Newsome - 6'1/185 - Nebraska

Steven Gilmore - 6'2/170 - Marshall

Dwight McGlothern - 6'2/185 - Arkansas

Riley Moss - 6'1/195 - Iowa

Jarrick Bernard-Converse - 6'1/200 - LSU

Tony Grimes - 6'1/195 - North Carolina

DJ Graham - 6'/190 - Oklahoma

Tier 2A

Kris Abrams-Draine - 5'11/180 - Missouri

Jay Shaw - 5'11/190 - Wisconsin

Davonte Brown - 6'2/185 - UCF

Micah Abraham - 6'2/175 - Marshall

Storm Duck - 6'1/205 - North Carolina

Cam Hart - 6'2/205 - Notre Dame

Clarence Lewis - 6'/195 - Notre Dame

Karon Prunty - 6'1/190 - North Carolina A&T

CJ Coldon - 6'1/180 - Oklahoma

Dorian Strong - 6'/175 - Virginia Tech

Shyheim Battle - 6'2/185 - NC State

Tier 2B

Hudson Clark - 6'2/180 - Arkansas

Kaleb Hayes - 5'11/190 - BYU

Tiawan Mullen - 5'10/180 - Indiana

Kei’Trel Clark - 5'10/180 - Louisville

Amechi Uzodinma - 6'/195 - Ball St

Dontae Manning - 5'11/190 - Oregon

D’shawn Jamison - 5'10/185 - Texas

Greg Brooks Jr - 5'11/185 - LSU

Nehemiah Pritchett - 6'1/180 - Auburn

Elijah Gates - 5'11/190 - Fresno St

Steven Jones - 5'10/180 - App St

Tier 3

Myles Sims - 6'3/180 - Georgia Tech

Derrick Canteen - 5'11/190 - GA-Southern

Jaylin Williams - 6'/185 - Indiana

Sevyn Banks - 6'1/200 - LSU

Jeremiah Lewis - 6'1/190 - Northwestern

Donte Kent - 5'11/185 - Central Michigan

Kyu Blu Kelly - 6'1/185 - Stanford

Tyric LeBeauf - 6'2/185 - Boise St

Anthony Johnson - 6'/200 - Iowa St

Caleb Biggers - 5'11/195 - Boise St

Tier 4

Rachuan Mitchell - 5'11/185 - Southern Miss

Sheridan Jones - 6'/185 - Clemson

AJ Hampton - 5'11/180 - Northwestern

Chandler Jones - 5'10/185 - Louisville

Quavian White - 5'10/185 - Georgia St

Ar’Mani Johnson - 6'/185 - SMU

Jaylon Jones - 5'11/180 - Georgia St

Last edited:
Garrett Williams from Syracuse!

Is Dontae Manning leaving Oregon early for the NFL draft? He’s a Jack Jones talent without the character issues.

Are there really two Jaylon Jones in this draft?

Christian gonzalez, joey porter would be perfect complements as outside cb opposing jack jones , I think both could be good values at 14th pick depending on combine results

Clark phillips is intriguing as well but under 6‘ probably, Witherspoon might be a candidate in the second round for us imo

Hoping for either Ringo or Witherspoon

Witherspoon was the best press-man cornerback in the country last season, and quite frankly, it wasn’t even close. On 113 snaps in press coverage this past fall, he allowed a grand total of one yard.

Garrett Williams from Syracuse!

I really like Williams game. He can cover and he can tackle in run support. The only knock against him is the lack of interceptions,

Witherspoon is the best press man corner in this draft and he has to be high on bb’s draft board.

If bb can not get Witherspoon, Williams would make a lot of sense.

Witherspoon is the best press man corner in this draft and he has to be high on bb’s draft board.

Witherspoon's head coach is Bret Bielema who is a Belichick confidant. He was on staff in '18 & '19. So Bill will definitely have a good idea about him. Wouldn't surprise me if Bielema talks him up that they trade down pick up a couple of picks and get him in the 1st. Maybe Bill will have Bielema do what Saban did with Barmore drive down his stock allowing Bill to get him.

Updated rankings. Rough past the first tier but good rough ballpark. More than a few candidates at 14.

Gonzalez played everywhere including star. Versatile, plus recognition, smooth efficient footwork and hands. Size and athleticism.

Again there's a handful of guys worth gambling on in the 1st. We need some size and length outside so it's an obvious move.

Any potential converts to FS on the list?

I'm not particularly enamoured with the safety class so far, although I've only watched a few

Amechi. Ball State. Multiple year starter. Highly productive, getting better every year.

Hmmm.

I hope we don't Draft a CB in the First or Second anywhere else is fine.

only if its a top tier CB than you pick him at 14 else I would not take anyone until UDFA starts, theres where the pats get them right^^

Know CB is not a crucial need maybe and I’m biased as an Illini fan, but he’d look great in our secondary.

We need a top-100 talent at Outside CB, and the ones already in the league and looking for their second contracts will be too ex-pensive; the lack of quality depth there was exposed time & again vs PO-caliber teams.

Dam shame that Little Billy & Al Groh's kid preferred JackOff Jones - whom Multiple teams had Off their draft boards COMPLETELY, never mind in the 4TH ****ING ROUND - to Pro Bowl alternate Tariq Woolen.

#EliotTheWolfForGM

Last edited:
We need a top-100 talent at Outside CB, and the ones already in the league and looking for their second contracts will be too ex-pensive; the lack of quality depth there was exposed time & again vs PO-caliber teams.
Dam shame that Little Billy & Al Groh's kid preferred JackOff Jones - whom Multiple teams had Off their draft boards COMPLETELY, never mind in the 4TH F UCKING ROUND, to Pro Bowl alternate Tariq Woolen.

#FireTheBelichicksAndAllTheirSlappiesToo

Just remember, You're the one who thought Antoine Winfield Jr was all that and still haven't admitted that Kyle Dugger was a good pick.

And we won't talk about how badly you missed on Onwenu and still haven't said you were wrong.

as for "Pro-Bowl Alternate"? WHO CARES! It's not even a real game anymore. FFS. Focus on what matter.

Make you you remember that Jack Jones was playing as well as any rookie CB before his injury. OH. Wait. You don't care about facts.

Jack Jones
1674974942506.png
Tariq Woolen
1674975021023.png

They both played really well for rookies.

I'm coming around on the idea that either Gonzalez or Witherspoon at CB would be great value for the #14 in the 1st round. And if Brian Branch tests well, then he'd be great at that spot too.

With the Jones' Jack, Marcus and Jon in the D-backfield alongside a Pro Bowl corner like Gonzalez or Witherspoon, we'd lock down teams in the passing game. With Wise, Barmore, Uche and Judon applying pressure, the D might be devastating.

That being said, we need to draft an edge rusher in the middle rounds to backup Wise or to develop behind him. We're weak there.

I'm coming around on the idea that either Gonzalez or Witherspoon at CB would be great value for the #14 in the 1st round. And if Brian Branch tests well, then he'd be great at that spot too.

With the Jones' Jack, Marcus and Jon in the D-backfield alongside a Pro Bowl corner like Gonzalez or Witherspoon, we'd lock down teams in the passing game. With Wise, Barmore, Uche and Judon applying pressure, the D might be devastating.

That being said, we need to draft an edge rusher in the middle rounds to backup Wise or to develop behind him. We're weak there.

So, these kids have never played a down, but you're anointing them as players who will be amongst the best in the league? Come on, Upstarter. You know better than that.

So, these kids have never played a down, but you're anointing them as players who will be amongst the best in the league? Come on, Upstarter. You know better than that.
Look at the historical record last 10 yrs. There are 2 busts (Waynes and Hargraves) in the top 14 when it comes to DBs. There are mainly Pro Bowlers other than a couple guys that have gotten hurt, but they are so young that guys like Okudah and Stingley might turn out very well. Surtain, Gardner, Horn, Denzel Ward, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Jamal Adams, Lattimore, Jalen Ramsey, etc.

All these players are Pro Bowl types. The only non-bust players who aren't Pro Bowlers are mediocrities like Eli Apple and CJ Henderson.

Of the 14 guys I listed, 2 are busts, 2 are mediocre, 2 have been injured, and the other 8 were Pro Bowlers.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back