PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT BGC 2021 Pats Big Board - Draft Thread

Shanny's gonna love him...

Yes Todd McShay was absolutely full of sh-t about Fields...

And Trey is crazy over-hyped, least accurate passer of the ones being talked about.

Without extensive injury history id seriously consider him at #15

If he is there at #46 the risk you have to take..

I like him a lot as well...seems like a really great guy, future captain, hard worker and powerful dude who can climb to the 2nd level and take on LB...It depends who is still available at 46 but i wouldn't hate the pick either...

I like him a lot as well...seems like a really great guy, future captain, hard worker and powerful dude who can climb to the 2nd level and take on LB...It depends who is still available at 46 but i wouldn't hate the pick either...

I would...The dude's gonna be an IR-body every year of his rookie contract...No thanks until #96.

Without extensive injury history id seriously consider him at #15

If he is there at #46 the risk you have to take..

Even if he was fully healthy up to this point, it is rare for a center to be taken that high (15th overall). Hasn’t happened since 1993 when Steve Everitt went 14th overall.

46 is still way too high for him. Emphasis in bold is mine:

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/04/r...-still-serious-concern-for-several-nfl-teams/

During a Monday interview on 93.7 The Fan, NFL analyst Tony Pauline proclaimed that the Pittsburgh Steelers have now narrowed their first-round selection in the 2021 NFL Draft down to three players, with Alabama center Landon ****erson one of them. On Tuesday, however, Pauline reported on Pro Football Network that concerns about ****erson’s longstanding medical history remain strong with the annual draft now less than two weeks away.

Several teams I’ve spoken with tell me they would not draft ****erson in the first five rounds due to medical concerns,” Pauline wrote on Tuesday. “The long-term effects of prior injuries are as much of a concern as the short-term possibility of suffering a major injury again. I’ve also learned that several teams gave ****erson a medical grade of 3-minus off medicals, the equivalent of a C-minus in letter grades.”

Pauline went on to recap ****erson’s injury issues he’s had to date that most recently included the Alabama suffering a torn ACL in the SEC championship game this past season.

“While many focus on the knee injury ****erson suffered during the SEC title game against Florida, his medical past reaches much further back,” Pauline wrote on Tuesday. “****erson saw his freshman season at Florida State halted seven games in due to a right ACL injury. Each of his next two seasons were cut short by major ankle injuries. That’s four campaigns that ended prematurely due to season-ending injuries, most of which required surgery. That’s not a good history for a 335-pound lineman.”

The only center that should be in the discussion for Day 2 is Creed Humphrey (Rams or Steelers seeming like the mostly likely to consider him at that spot).

Even if he was fully healthy up to this point, it is rare for a center to be taken that high (15th overall). Hasn’t happened since 1993 when Steve Everitt went 14th overall.

46 is still way too high for him. Emphasis in bold is mine:

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/04/r...-still-serious-concern-for-several-nfl-teams/

The only center that should be in the discussion for Day 2 is Creed Humphrey (Rams or Steelers seeming like the mostly likely to consider him at that spot).

I watched him playing RT in 2018 and he was impactful. (on bad FSU OL)
I watched him playing RG in 2019 and he was impactful.
I watched him playing C in 2019&20 and he was impactful.

What have you watched?

I would...The dude's gonna be an IR-body every year of his rookie contract...No thanks until #96.
If healthy he is a beast i expect..imagine guys like ****erson brown onwenu mason for our run game. His play would fit here well for both C and G i think

I watched him playing RT in 2018 and he was impactful. (on bad FSU OL)
I watched him playing RG in 2019 and he was impactful.
I watched him playing C in 2019&20 and he was impactful.

What have you watched?
When did I ever say he wasn’t impactful when healthy? Pretty sure I didn’t. If that’s what you took away from me pointing out a center hasn’t been drafted in the top half of the first round since 1993, then you misinterpreted me. There have been a handful of great centers drafted in the last 28 years who still were not taken that high.

A center getting drafted 15 or higher has happened only once since 1993, and twice since 1976. That’s not opinion, that’s fact. That is not an indictment on ****erson as a player. That is just a reality of centers, they aren’t drafted that high in general. If you don’t believe me you can have a look for yourself.

My whole point is he’d be a huge risk taking him with an early round pick because he’s had difficulty staying healthy, as I’m sure you also watched, throughout his college career (season ending injury in 2016 and 2017, medical redshirt 2018, and season ending injury in the SEC title game 2020). Please take note of the medical history article I linked to in my previous post.

He’s a phenomenal interior lineman who is a major injury risk. Both things can be true.

Last edited:

1. Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma (second round)
2. Josh Myers, Ohio State (third round)
3. Landon ****erson, Alabama (third round)
4. Drake Jackson, Kentucky (fourth round)
5. Drew Dalman, Stanford (fifth round)
6. Trey Hill, Georgia (sixth round)

****erson is high 2nd round talent....low 3rd early 4th with that staggering injury history...I'd go Myers in the 3rd

When did I ever say he wasn’t impactful when healthy? Pretty sure I didn’t. If that’s what you took away from me pointing out a center hasn’t been drafted in the top half of the first round since 1993, then you misinterpreted me. There have been a handful of great centers drafted in the last 28 years who still were not taken that high.

A center getting drafted 15 or higher has happened only once since 1993, and twice since 1976. That’s not opinion, that’s fact. That is not an indictment on ****erson as a player. That is just a reality of centers, they aren’t drafted that high in general. If you don’t believe me you can have a look for yourself.

My whole point is he’d be a huge risk taking him with an early round pick because he’s had difficulty staying healthy, as I’m sure you also watched, throughout his college career (season ending injury in 2016 and 2017, medical redshirt 2018, and season ending injury in the SEC title game 2020). Please take note of the medical history article I linked to in my previous post.

He’s a phenomenal interior lineman who is a major injury risk. Both things can be true.

The point of my post was he is not just a center but one of the most versatile and impactful OLs in this class. Since your history of drafting centers fwiw ignored this.
I included his inj h/risk in my orig posts.
He was injured a lot, that is one part of the truth. He always came back stronger. That is the other part of the truth that matters as well.

Hadn’t thought much about this, but if guys like Paye, Parsons, and Horn are gone, as well as the QB’s, then this is something to seriously consider. Dominant OL are critical to success, and the bigger and nastier the better. You simply cannot get big enough and nasty enough on OL. I love the top OT in this draft, but ****erson is exactly what every OL needs,

Hadn’t thought much about this, but if guys like Paye, Parsons, and Horn are gone, as well as the QB’s, then this is something to seriously consider. Dominant OL are critical to success, and the bigger and nastier the better. You simply cannot get big enough and nasty enough on OL. I love the top OT in this draft, but ****erson is exactly what every OL needs,
If anyone in this draft will reach for a ****erson I'd have to guess it's BB...look no further than Gronk.

I like ****erson’s game a lot. I really do. Probably the best OL overall without taking his injury history to consideration. Let’s say for the sake of discussion that the Pats do take him. Maybe not 15th overall, but let’s say 46th overall. He’s versatile and can play all over the line, but it seems like he’s best at C or RG. Those two spots are occupied by Andrews, an above average center who we just signed at a team friendly 4-year deal, and Mason, one of the best right guards in the league, who we have under contract for the next 3 years. That leaves LG, which currently Onwenu occupies. Is the plan to make Onwenu the long term RT? Do we keep Onwenu at LG and have ****erson be the long term RT? Has he played LT before and would that be the best use of his talents? Would he be better than the natural LT’s we could’ve drafted instead? Are we trading one of those three interior guys away? What’s the plan there? Even if you just have him as a backup for his rookie season, where does he start next season? The two starting tackle spots are the only uncertainties in 2022 as of now. “I’ll hang up and listen.”

If healthy he is a beast i expect..imagine guys like ****erson brown onwenu mason for our run game. His play would fit here well for both C and G i think
That line would absolutely beast mode every single front 7 in the league in the run game. It would be glorious....at least until ****erson blows out another knee.

I like ****erson’s game a lot. I really do. Probably the best OL overall without taking his injury history to consideration. Let’s say for the sake of discussion that the Pats do take him. Maybe not 15th overall, but let’s say 46th overall. He’s versatile and can play all over the line, but it seems like he’s best at C or RG. Those two spots are occupied by Andrews, an above average center who we just signed at a team friendly 4-year deal, and Mason, one of the best right guards in the league, who we have under contract for the next 3 years. That leaves LG, which currently Onwenu occupies. Is the plan to make Onwenu the long term RT? Do we keep Onwenu at LG and have ****erson be the long term RT? Are we trading one of those three interior guys away? What’s the plan there? Even if you just have him as a backup for his rookie season, where does he start next season? The two starting tackle spots are the only uncertainties in 2022 as of now. “I’ll hang up and listen.”

Give him extra time to rehab his latest injury and study the playbook, then when/if he is ready to start, you tap Andrews on the shoulder and say “Dave, Bill wants to see you in his office”....similar to what Stork went through when Andrews remained the starter even though Stork was healthy enough to play.
Or, If Wynn catches the injury bug again, you can play him at LG, shift Brown to LT and shift Onwenu to RT.

If anyone in this draft will reach for a ****erson I'd have to guess it's BB...look no further than Gronk.
Which makes perfect sense if he believes that’s what he’s going to get. Gronk is a first ballot Hall of Fame player, I’ll take that in the first round every time, And that, to me, is the point of the first round. It’s not about filling a need, it’s about getting a great player with that pick. The more you get the better, but needs can be filled in the rest of the draft and free agency, A franchise QB is the exception, but you better know that’s what you are getting before you pay that price,

Give him extra time to rehab his latest injury and study the playbook, then when/if he is ready to start, you tap Andrews on the shoulder and say “Dave, Bill wants to see you in his office”....similar to what Stork went through when Andrews remained the starter even though Stork was healthy enough to play.
Or, If Wynn catches the injury bug again, you can play him at LG, shift Brown to LT and shift Onwenu to RT.
Yeah I suspect it’ll be when, not if, for Wynn missing time to injury. ****erson would be an upgrade as the supersub over Karras (who then becomes an overpaid 7th OL). I just wonder then what Onwenu’s long term role is. Maybe he becomes the RT of the future, let Trent Brown walk in free agency, and ****erson the new LG. Hope we either keep Wynn or draft his replacement (Spencer Brown would be nice if he’s there Day 3).

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back