PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2020 WR'S/PTP Thread

Reed's a guy who would probably be a borderline Day 2 pick in any other draft class. He's big and powerful and has good measurables and hands and can contribute on special teams. He's coming from a very basic offense and is probably a slot-only guy but not sure why he's so far down compared to other guys like Lynn Bowden or with similar skillsets who are even less developed as receivers. I guess Bowden played quarterback or whatever (poorly) so you can pretend he's a new Taysom Hill (whatever, who cares).

I'm not a Reed guy. Hope you're right about his upside. I don't see it. I'd rather pick a higher ceiling guy or someone earlier in the draft. This kid DOES have mad kick return skills. VERY consistent in that area. Career 28.7/return with 5 house-calls.
Reed's also an excellent punt returner...I really like him starting at #172 (I really Really like him starting at #195) as Part 2 of a WR double-dip, especially if we haven't drafted a Weapon- (Van Jefferson, Bowden, Gibson, Proche) -type of Receiver to that point...

I have no interest in a late round OT. I want a backup center, who can start when Andrews is out, and can play some OG.

So, you don't think that we need an upgrade over Ferentz, our current backup C?

I have no interest in a late round OT. I want a backup center, who can start when Andrews is out, and can play some OG.

So, you don't think that we need an upgrade over Ferentz, our current backup C?
You already included Center, so I didn't change that..

You already included Center, so I didn't change that..

my bad

I do think that center should be a high priority, even if the pick is made with a comp 3rd or 4th.

As an aside, I don't that the top kickers will last until our picks in the sixth, so I would use a 5th. As always, the first 4 rounds are for players who will definitely make the team. The 5th and onward are for STers and shots in the dark.

IMO, WR isn't very controversial unless we use a 1st rounder. Don't we all expect one WR pick in the first 125 (hopefully 100) and then one in 6th or 7th? I think that which one is important for our draft contest, but I don't think that we will be able to evaluate Bill's choice until mid-season. In the end, there are many, many acceptable choices, all with a good chance of contributing.

my bad

I do think that center should be a high priority, even if the pick is made with a comp 3rd or 4th.

As an aside, I don't that the top kickers will last until our picks in the sixth, so I would use a 5th. As always, the first 4 rounds are for players who will definitely make the team. The 5th and onward are for STers and shots in the dark.
Completely agree about Center; we either have to draft Mongo's replacement somewhere during mid/late Day 3 while drafting an OT during Day 2, or we have to draft Andrews' possibly immediate replacement somewhere during Day 2 AND Mongo's replacement during the UDFA period at the latest while also drafting an OT during Day 3...

Keenan Reynolds didn't make it and he was a better athlete than Perry. Not sure how easy it is to make that transition, but you can try.
Interesting you say that. Daniel Jeremiah said the exact opposite. Said Perry was more talented.

Interesting you say that. Daniel Jeremiah said the exact opposite. Said Perry was more talented.

perry is an amazing playmaker. If there is such a thing as an “it” factor. He has it!

Bb would have an incredibly versatile player, who is an instant match up nightmare, to drive defenses mad.

but will bb be waiting to wait two years for perry?

perry is an amazing playmaker. If there is such a thing as an “it” factor. He has it!

Bb would have an incredibly versatile player, who is an instant match up nightmare, to drive defenses mad.

but will bb be waiting to wait two years for perry?
You don’t have to wait anymore, they changed the rules for draftees from the military.

I haven't bothered to watch tape on the top tier of this class. We just drafted a 1st round WR so to do it in back to back years would be mind blowing. I wanted Deebo but that's moot.

I like Jauan Jenning's ability to break tackles. I like Kalija Lipscomb's willingness to block. I obviously still have much much more research to do, but this is not a position I see as the biggest need as most do.

With how Harry’s year went, IMO he seems more suited to be the z wr, leaving the Patriots an obvious need at X. Sanu, Edelman, Harry, Myers, Byrd, etc...the slot and z are covered.

Especially with a young QB now, I can see them using a premium pick on a WR who could play the X. Ideally one with some deep speed, but how many of those exist?

Some guys I think could be in play:

Denzel Mims
Tee Higgins
Bryan Edwards
Micheal Pittman
Jalen Reagor
Van Jefferson
Laviska Shenault (route running is questionable but man if it works)

Anyone else I’m missing? Love to get everyone else’s thoughts.

With how Harry’s year went, IMO he seems more suited to be the z wr, leaving the Patriots an obvious need at X. Sanu, Edelman, Harry, Myers, Byrd, etc...the slot and z are covered.

Especially with a young QB now, I can see them using a premium pick on a WR who could play the X. Ideally one with some deep speed, but how many of those exist?

Denzel Mims
Tee Higgins
Bryan Edwards
Micheal Pittman
Jalen Reagor
Van Jefferson

Harry's ASU teammate Brandon Aiyuk?

Denzel Mims
Tee Higgins
Bryan Edwards
Micheal Pittman
Jalen Reagor
Van Jefferson

Harry's ASU teammate Brandon Aiyuk?
If we're going WR I'd love to get Reagor, who can play anywhere. I've slotted him here for a while. Been watching him for years now and comfortable with the player. He graded out round 1 for me, value fits. Has a great profile. Huge need. Probably mostly slot/z but again he can play anywhere. Return punts/kicks.
Not many boxes he doesn't check. Instant speed with different gears. Big burst, accelerates very quickly. Long, powerful strides. +Yac. Contested catches. Contact balance. We desperately need what he has. I don't see a huge difference between him and Lamb, JJ, Ruggs... In fact he's my WR3, I'd be comfortable taking him before Ruggs.

And then maybe a Trautman. We can play him inline, slot, detached, fb. Huge need. Fits our profile as well as any player in the draft.

Aiyuk. He's more of a Z/Slot. I don't want him Rd1. He's very much still learning the position. Has trouble in some key areas and honestly was the 2nd/3rd best WR on ASU over the last few years. Not Rd1 material imo. I'd take a shot in the 2nd, where I have him graded though.

Pittman, who will go sooner than most think. I think you can play him all over. + Hands, movements for a big boy and fits our profile. Very underrated route runner. Off the line, subtle fakes with his body, creating separation at the top. +Contested catches/tough player.

I could see Edwards having success as a big slot. Another one who is vg in almost all phases as a r/r. Physical, tough, big boy who wins on the sidelines. Nice profile (age, production, size etc)

Shenault is another guy I'd love to double dip with. Take advantage of his toughness, versatility & yac abilities. Put him everywhere depending on personnel.

Van Jefferson looks like a perfect slot fit.

I have my thoughts on where Higgins and Mims will play but I think they'll be used different by different teams.

I love Justin Jefferson. Don’t think we’ll be taking a WR that high though.

If we're going WR I'd love to get Reagor, who can play anywhere. I've slotted him here for a while. Been watching him for years now and comfortable with the player. He graded out round 1 for me, value fits. Has a great profile. Huge need. Probably mostly slot/z but again he can play anywhere. Return punts/kicks.
Not many boxes he doesn't check. Instant speed with different gears. Big burst, accelerates very quickly. Long, powerful strides. +Yac. Contested catches. Contact balance. We desperately need what he has. I don't see a huge difference between him and Lamb, JJ, Ruggs... In fact he's my WR3, I'd be comfortable taking him before Ruggs.

And then maybe a Trautman. We can play him inline, slot, detached, fb. Huge need. Fits our profile as well as any player in the draft.

Aiyuk. He's more of a Z/Slot. I don't want him Rd1. He's very much still learning the position. Has trouble in some key areas and honestly was the 2nd/3rd best WR on ASU over the last few years. Not Rd1 material imo. I'd take a shot in the 2nd, where I have him graded though.

Pittman, who will go sooner than most think. I think you can play him all over. + Hands, movements for a big boy and fits our profile. Very underrated route runner. Off the line, subtle fakes with his body, creating separation at the top. +Contested catches/tough player.

I could see Edwards having success as a big slot. Another one who is vg in almost all phases as a r/r. Physical, tough, big boy who wins on the sidelines. Nice profile (age, production, size etc)

Shenault is another guy I'd love to double dip with. Take advantage of his toughness, versatility & yac abilities. Put him everywhere depending on personnel.

Van Jefferson looks like a perfect slot fit.

I have my thoughts on where Higgins and Mims will play but I think they'll be used different by different teams.
Trautman would appear to be the best fit for NE at TE this year...him and Moss

I've noticed a lot of mocks today have NE taking Kmet. I think he'll be a good player in 2 years time, but I don't see him helping us too much now, and we really need help at TE. If Baun, Chaisson, Murray or Queen are still there and we select Kmet, I'll be pissed.

I've noticed a lot of mocks today have NE taking Kmet. I think he'll be a good player in 2 years time, but I don't see him helping us too much now, and we really need help at TE. If Baun, Chaisson, Murray or Queen are still there and we select Kmet, I'll be pissed.
I doubt Kmet is in the conversation at 23, I like Kmet a ton and think he'll be a solid-good TE1, but still think Trautman is a better fit for what NE does

I'll be rooting for Chaisson, Epenesa, Murray, Queen, or Lewis tonight at 23

With all the WRs, QBs, and OTs going, BB should have plenty of defenders to choose from

Not opposed to a trade down either, one with IND potentially makes a lot of sense

Trautman fit our type as well as anyone on the board from a testing standpoint. Him, Keene, Parkinson, Charlie T & Hopkins were the top 5 in that area by my account.

Moss is at the bottom but makes up for it slightly, maybe more from someone else's pov. With his blocking and potential as FB in a pinch? I know I've been harping on that switch (TE to FB) but he's another guy that kinda fits there. So I'd probably think we have a 4th/5th on him?

Trautman fit our type as well as anyone on the board from a testing standpoint. Him, Keene, Parkinson, Charlie T & Hopkins were the top 5 in that area by my account.

Moss is at the bottom but makes up for it slightly, maybe more from someone else's pov. With his blocking and potential as FB in a pinch? I know I've been harping on that switch (TE to FB) but he's another guy that kinda fits there. So I'd probably think we have a 4th/5th on him?
Yup, I've even seen later

This TE class may lack a true star, but I think there are a handful+ of productive players in the class

I doubt Kmet is in the conversation at 23, I like Kmet a ton and think he'll be a solid-good TE1, but still think Trautman is a better fit for what NE does...
Just watched the NFLN's mock draft show with Daniel Jeremiah, and guess whom he chose for the NEP: Cole Kmet...Surprised he didn't have Bill trading down with someone who would draft the QB Love...

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back