PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2020 WR'S/PTP Thread

A receiving analytic table for a few of the WRs in the draft:

WR Tee Higgins Clemson

• 74.3% catch rate (52-80)
  • 20.8 yards per catch
  • 79% of catches (41) went for 1st down
  • 13 TDs
Tee is being slightly underestimated and might be a late 1st round draft pick.

Love Tee Higgins! @BaconGrundleCandy

You do. You've been a big fan for a min now. Only concern with him here is already having Harry, not enough speed on the roster and TEs.

He runs well, with his skill set he should be a top 64 pick.

You do. You've been a big fan for a min now. Only concern with him here is already having Harry, not enough speed on the roster and TEs.

He runs well, with his skill set he should be a top 64 pick.

They are very similar type of guys. Agree we need more speed!

How many Clemson players has bb drafted over the past 20 years?

The answers is: none. The last player from Clemson taken by the Patriots was CB Jerome Henderson in 1991.
BTW - what is your opinion about Brandon Ayiuk? Watching his tapes I realize he is incredible especially after the catch. Good hands and amazing speed - next to Reagor and Hamler he seems to be destined for Patriots.

The answers is: none. The last player from Clemson taken by the Patriots was CB Jerome Henderson in 1991.
BTW - what is your opinion about Brandon Ayiuk? Watching his tapes I realize he is incredible especially after the catch. Good hands and amazing speed - next to Reagor and Hamler he seems to be destined for Patriots.

The biggest issue I have is what he’s going to be like against press coverage, I must say I love Reagor he’s top 4/5 WR in this years class and Hamler is a burner but I haven’t watched to much of him yet

The biggest issue I have is what he’s going to be like against press coverage, I must say I love Reagor he’s top 4/5 WR in this years class and Hamler is a burner but I haven’t watched to much of him yet

I'm starting to back away from Hamler because he's likely going to be drafted in the second round which is more draft capital than I think he's worth for us.

Hamler has a small body frame to absorb contact from press coverage or finishing catches through contact and, also, he doesn't have a good catch rate or natural hands catching the ball; more of a body catcher.

Catching the ball is the most important trait for a receiver.

kj-hamler.png

K.J. Hamler Player Profile Advanced Football Stats, Metrics & Analytics

Fun but needs a lot of work before he's a complete WR. Reminds me of Hardman from last year. Great in space/off coverage, slippery when he gets going. Catches the ball at the last second. Which might sound ok but the good/great ones catch the ball with their eyes first. He let's ball surprise him at times.

If you can bury him with your depth than he'll kill you in a similar way Hardman did for KC.

Generally you want WRs who can beat press, get open in route-in/out breaks and win at the top of the route. He struggles with a lot of that.

Ideally he goes a KC, Hou, LAR where you can hide him some behind superior talent/skill and develop alongside a decent staff/QB.

@BaconGrundleCandy

What do you think about WR Jeff Thomas as a later round draft pick and how is he different from ex-Pats WR Braxton Berrios?

@BaconGrundleCandy

What do you think about WR Jeff Thomas as a later round draft pick and how is he different from ex-Pats WR Braxton Berrios?
Berrios wasn't as quick as I/most thought & obviously was never fast. Thomas doesn't have those worries. Has the quicks, loose movements & acceleration to contribute. So-so vs press that I remember. Slot/gadget player. He's small & could have trouble with length/strength.

Off the field issues??

Yeah, I also see a much faster, quicker more agile football player with Thomas than I do with Berrios and agree about future length/strength issues limiting him primarily to the slot position.

He is surprisingly physical with his blocking and receiving for a WR of his stature, especially in the game against Miami, almost like a mini Lynn Bowden.

Thomas has had QB/offense problems, similar to WR Reagor, that has been abysmal for the past couple of years.

The off the field issues need to be examined, but he showed some signs of maturity by returning to the team this year without adding any new concerns.

With his punt return abilities, he's a real dynamo to watch for as a later round draft pick/UDFA

Yeah, I also see a much faster, quicker more agile football player with Thomas than I do with Berrios and agree about future length/strength issues limiting him primarily to the slot position.

He is surprisingly physical with his blocking and receiving for a WR of his stature, especially in the game against Miami, almost like a mini Lynn Bowden.

Thomas has had QB/offense problems, similar to WR Reagor, that has been abysmal for the past couple of years.

The off the field issues need to be examined, but he showed some signs of maturity by returning to the team this year without adding any new concerns.

With his punt return abilities, he's a real dynamo to watch for as a later round draft pick/UDFA

Yea I definitely noticed his blocking as well. He'll never win bc he's small but you only really need effort + some technique. Don't have to be a killer.
It stood out though, not shy/afraid at all in getting dirty.

He got some dog in him.

I have a higher grade on ayiuk than I had on Harry by about a round and a half.

can ayuik beat press man against nfl corners?

If he can, then he will be a star in this league.

Fun but needs a lot of work before he's a complete WR. Reminds me of Hardman from last year. Great in space/off coverage, slippery when he gets going. Catches the ball at the last second. Which might sound ok but the good/great ones catch the ball with their eyes first. He let's ball surprise him at times.

Hands/tracking

- Aiyuk makes body catches and concentration drops multiple times on the film. His hands might actually be one of the bigger worries, besides some smaller nuances in his route-running. Hands are a lot harder to fix at this stage than smaller route-running nuances. This is not to say Aiyuk's hands are "bad", per say. What it does say is he is not a clean catcher, which impacts the level of confidence the quarterback has in him. Confidence is a key component to building chemistry with Tom Brady.

PatriotMaven Scouting Profile: Brandon Aiyuk

This is such a deep WR class, it's mind boggling. There will be guys who won't be drafted, that are great prospects. I bet some of the UDFA WRs from 2020 will outclass all of the 2019 UDFA receivers.

I start a list of players who impress me during a college season, and I have 32 receivers on the list. I'm sure there are a dozen or so receivers I haven't really watched. Crazy deep draft as far as receivers. I'm hoping the Pats wind up with a speed guy (I'd be happy with Reagor or Hamler) and I'd be fine with double dipping since it's so deep, maybe a tall guy like Denzel Mims from Baylor. Though there are 2 dozen tall receivers that I like.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back