PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best Defensive Coaching Ever? (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad we didn't get the first shutout in Super Bowl history. But let's not be too greedy. :D

We were close! Had z missed that 54 yarder, and for a moment it looked like it may hook out

• Agree
Reactions: ALP
I was impressed with Van Noy and Hightower.. Van Noy almost cut Goff in half, Pats get 4 sacks against this young team.

The D-Backfield was kick ass, no more Tiquans or "Two Way Troys".. smart to have invested this way, remember the discussion when the Pats signed Gilmore long term?? There were many here among us who thought that was a bad signing...

Some say this game was boring, for me I was on the edge of my seat all night... found it exciting.

That was against Jim Kelly, this against Goff, not sold on Goff being a top tier QB.
Agree. However, that D also had the greatest NFL defender ever (and multiple other HOFs on it) on it. This Defense has nobody that’ll even sniff the HOF on it, against a team that averaged 33PPG & 420 YPG. I see your point though.

The Rams built their gaudy stats with Todd Gurley gashing defenses outside the guards which we only saw two or three times. His inability to give them 25 - 30 carries really left them one dimensional. The Patriots dominated that.

The boy wonder coach had nothing last night. That was a vanilla offense with none of the daring that we read about during the playoffs and saw a bit of in the Saints game. The Rams could have gone down swinging, but chose to pull a Schottenheimer in the biggest game. Belichick has always feasted on teams playing not to lose.

Seeing how the team capped off the Super Bowl run today I'm wondering: Is this the best coaching job ever on defense by a Bill Belichick team (plus staff of course) if you consider the talent level of the front seven and the era?

The D played dominantly for 10 out of 12 quarters. Factoring in that they were up by a gazillion points against the Chargers, the only bad quarter the D played was the Fourth against KC.

From a game-planning standpoint the first halves were especially dominant:

Chargers - 7 points, 128 yards, Rivers 7-16 for 121 yards, 1 TD, 1 sack, 6-17 (2.8) rushing
Chiefs - 0 points, 32 yards, Mahomes 4-8 for 65 yards, 3 sacks, 5-10 (2.0) rushing
Rams - 0 points, 57 yards, Goff 5-12 for 52 yards, 2 sacks, 8-25 (3.1) rushing

And we are talking about good-to-great offenses and not the Bills with Nathan Peterman...
That is a game and a half of football allowing 7 points 217 total yards and 16/36/228 passing minus 63 yards in sacks and 19-52 rushing.
Wow.

That was against Jim Kelly, this against Goff, not sold on Goff being a top tier QB.
1990 Bills 428 points scored, 19 in Sb
2018 Rams 527 points scored, 3 in Sb

Emphatic yes!

Stuffed the Chargers until garbage time.

Shut the Chiefs team for 3 quarters until they started calling ticky tack PIs

Then completely shut the Rams offense.

And it wasn't even the typical bend but don't break defense. It was aggressive as hell, get off on 3rd down and give the ball back to Brady and the offense.

Decent column by Barnwell, and some credit to Patricia.
Barnwell: A defensive masterpiece, and the play that won the Super Bowl
You might note that one of the coaches in that subhead isn't on the Patriots' payroll anymore. "We had to put together something that would neutralize the running game and their big play-action passes on early downs," Bill Belichick said to ESPN's Steve Young after the game. "We felt like if we could make them drive it and earn it, similar to what the Lions did to them," he added, "... we would have a chance to get them off the field on third down."

I think Gronk drank a magnum of opus after the game.

Around halftime I understood why Belichick was so relaxed and confident going into this game. Goff and his big delivery was like facing Bledsoe, they went straight at him and the secondary was reading his throws before the ball left his hand. They could have had 4-5 interceptions. Exceptional defense, hate to see Flores go.

Around halftime I understood why Belichick was so relaxed and confident going into this game. Goff and his big delivery was like facing Bledsoe, they went straight at him and the secondary was reading his throws before the ball left his hand. They could have had 4-5 interceptions. Exceptional defense, hate to see Flores go.

Not to take anything away from our D, but I doubt we have that same performance against a better QB...Goff was just a great match up for us.

Not to take anything away from our D, but I doubt we have that same performance against a better QB...Goff was just a great match up for us.

I think that’s accurate, Belichick had his number before the game even started. Once again an exceptional defensive game plan, perfectly executed.

I think that’s accurate, Belichick had his number before the game even started. Once again an exceptional defensive game plan, perfectly executed.

Other QBs we faced in that same spot before (inexperienced playoff QB) didn't get flustered - Eli Manning (in 2007) and Nick Foles. Some guys have it, some guys don't.

1990 Bills 428 points scored, 19 in Sb
2018 Rams 527 points scored, 3 in Sb

Yeah, but completely different era's. However, I agree, Goff is no Jim Kelly.

Other QBs we faced in that same spot before (inexperienced playoff QB) didn't get flustered - Eli Manning (in 2007) and Nick Foles. Some guys have it, some guys don't.

This defense was much better than any of the losing defenses.

I don't know how many others noticed this, but the camera panned to Goff during the National Anthem. He had his hand over his heart and it was very visibly shaking.

Yeah, but completely different era's. However, I agree, Goff is no Jim Kelly.
Different era would explain allowing more points in the higher scoring era being comparable to fewer points in the lower scoring era.
Holding a team that scores 33 a game to 3 is better than holding a team that scores 27 to 19, and saying the 19 was in a different era where teams didn’t score as much accentuates that rather than minimizing it.

• Agree
Reactions: ALP
If there were any doubt that Bill was the GOAT, last nights performance of his defense should wipe that away!! Just incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes