PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bengals FA RB Rex Burkhead at Gillette Stadium visiting Patriots 3/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
With White and Lewis he should not be seeing the field as a pass catcher.

I think hes lost a little bit of his running ability. Not sure why.
Yeah, the only scenarios in which Bolden should be on the field with the offense are A) the Pat are winning in an epic blowout, or B) all the other RBs are dead.

I think Burkhead would replace both Bolden and Foster on the 2017 53 man roster.
This would leave room for a big rookie back. He might also replace White in 2018.
White will receive a bigger offer like Woodhead and Vereen did.

I agree about Bolden. Foster is almost more WR than RB, though, so perhaps a different role than what Burkhead would have.

Yikes.... what a hot take!

My guess is... he's more a replacement fot Brandon Bolden. Burkehead is no doubt, a solid special teamer

Two years ago, Lewis was the most elusive back the Pats have had in recent memory - he looked like Sproles out there.

White could have been the SB MVP.

Is this twitter guy Burkhead's agent or something?

Burkhead does't have a lot of wear and tear on him based on being mothballed by Marvin Lewis the last four years. When he finally put him on the field other than on special teams, he excelled catching the ball and running it against a top defense....
He's been earning the minimum so a nice contract may not cost too much and would be the perfect Pats pickup...and another core ST player...

It'd be nice to have a big back who can catch. Defenses knew that when Blount was in there they'd generally wouldn't have to honor a RB pass.

Two years ago, Lewis was the most elusive back the Pats have had in recent memory - he looked like Sproles out there.

White could have been the SB MVP.

Is this twitter guy Burkhead's agent or something?

Anyway, "beating out Lewis and White" isn't the issue. It's beating out Blount for the lead btw-the-tackles rushing role.

This would be a solid signing; Burkhead runs hard and can catch the ball. He's also been a core ST guy on the Bengals which we all know is highly valued here.

Bolden is a good ST player and has great value there, but less as a runner.

Eh.
Pats could also use youth there.

They almost certainly will keep Lewis, White, Develin.
Then add Brandon Bolden, DJ Foster, and Tyler Gaffney competing for a spot.
Then one spot for a larger back. I would sort of rather pick up a cheaper, younger option in the draft.

If they can sign veterans with zero bonus, great.

They aren't cutting back on WR slots. Probably three TE's.
They won't go six RB's. So there is likely only one spot available between veterans and draft picks.

why do people on this board always make these comments about race?

Because there was a period last year where we could've gone total whitewash at the skill positions on offense - Brady, Edelman, Hogan, Gronk, Develin/Amendola and White. Yeah that last one's cheating a bit, but whatever. As long as people aren't suggesting that the Pats are racist or whatever, then who cares?

In all seriousness, though, it does kinda seem like a market inefficiency that the Pats have identified and exploited.

Eh.
Pats could also use youth there.

They almost certainly will keep Lewis, White, Develin.
Then add Brandon Bolden, DJ Foster, and Tyler Gaffney competing for a spot.
Then one spot for a larger back. I would sort of rather pick up a cheaper, younger option in the draft.

If they can sign veterans with zero bonus, great.

They aren't cutting back on WR slots. Probably three TE's.
They won't go six RB's. So there is likely only one spot available between veterans and draft picks.
I agree with how you've laid it out, and I think Burkhead fits into that. If he's is signed, my guess would be it's to put him right in that competition with Bolden and Foster. And I think Gaffney would go into the competition for a younger, cheaper, larger back. He's a pretty big dude. Not Blount big, but to be fair nobody is.

I was meh, when I first heard the name, and that was because it was the first time I had ever heard the name. ;).

Put me firmly among the Bolden replacement-ites, and then lets see where it goes from there. He fits all the checkmarks as a versatile football player who can play ST's, run a bit and catch the ball. OK if its something like a 2 year $3MM deal.

I would HATE to see Hunter signed at the expense of DA.

Danny is a baller who make plays in crunch time.
Agree with you 100%. Danny has been ridiculously clutch in the playoffs and Super Bowls. Love the guy, true team player. Brady loves him too.

I like the idea of Hunter, but not at the expense of DA.

Because there was a period last year where we could've gone total whitewash at the skill positions on offense - Brady, Edelman, Hogan, Gronk, Develin/Amendola and White. Yeah that last one's cheating a bit, but whatever. As long as people aren't suggesting that the Pats are racist or whatever, then who cares?

In all seriousness, though, it does kinda seem like a market inefficiency that the Pats have identified and exploited.
>>As long as people aren't suggesting that the Pats are racist or whatever, then who cares?

OK. It's kind of difficult though to determine whether or not people are insinuating something on race, which would just be a shame. I don't care about their skin color that whole core is f'n brilliant with Brady at the helm. (It's funny that Brady is even in your list, as if there would be any discrimination in the GOAT not having his job)

Reminds me when "some" people would complain about the "whiteness" of the 1986 Celtics, which I would still probably take over any team that has ever played in the NBA. People mention this too much in my opinion on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes