PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick's skill position moves since 2018

How have the last 2 drafts been really good?

...That does not equal “2 really good drafts”. At best right now it’s 2 average drafts. This team needs top end talent and we can’t waste first rounders on average guards.

Please tell me you're joking.

Nope, just that the joke's on you if you feel that these last 2/3 drafts have been "really good."

Nope, just that the joke's on you if you feel that these last 2/3 drafts have been "really good."
I think we both have different definitions of what "good" are then.

Yes, this is what I said. This year's salaries are high, but they don't have big signing bonuses on the books for future years. In other words, it's just an anomaly. It's mainly Agholor's balloon payment was pushed to this year so he counts for $15m in salary even though his per year is $11m. He's our 2nd highest paid player this year BECAUSE they pushed most of his money to this year. He only counted for $7m last year. So this is just an accounting anomaly.

If you average it, I'm sure we'd be in the middle of the league:

Agholor: $11m
Parker: $6m
Bourne: $5m
Meyers: $4m

That's $26m total
That's brilliant except that's not the way it works. You have to use the cap # for these guys because that's what every team has to do. Pats are #2 in WR cap and #1 in TE cap in 2022. The production from these units in putrid. That's 100% bad GMing.

BTW, we have $56m in cap space going into next season.

But if McCourty and Devante Parker leave, that's another $16m.

This team could be going into free agency with $72m to spend, no to mention restructures.
Not according to Miguel. Pats have about $37M in '23 when you count everything.

Not according to Miguel. Pats have about $37M in '23 when you count everything.
I'm sure Miguel is right but that number is all over the place and will continue to be right up until the legal tampering period.

Overall point is the Pats will have plenty of cap space to sign FAs and do extensions.

If they choose to cut, extend and restructure players then they may have more or less. Who knows.

I mean when you have an ILB covering your WR#1 and bracketing your TE#1, what does that say about our skill players talent level. Makes it pretty easy for DCs to defend.

I mean when you have an ILB covering your WR#1 and bracketing your TE#1, what does that say about our skill players talent level. Makes it pretty easy for DCs to defend.

Also says something about our QB at the end of the scramble...

I'm sure Miguel is right but that number is all over the place and will continue to be right up until the legal tampering period.

Overall point is the Pats will have plenty of cap space to sign FAs and do extensions.

If they choose to cut, extend and restructure players then they may have more or less. Who knows.
This is from a few days ago.

That's brilliant except that's not the way it works. You have to use the cap # for these guys because that's what every team has to do. Pats are #2 in WR cap and #1 in TE cap in 2022. The production from these units in putrid. That's 100% bad GMing.
I don't have to do anything. I'm a poster. I can give you the average of their contracts if I want to. You do you

Meyers does most of his damage when the MLB bites off of play action and he clears a zone. He gets erased by CB's in man to man. It's mind boggling posters want to see this guy re-signed. I hope Bill doesn't cave in a pay this guy which he may get $15M or more.

Meyers does most of his damage when the MLB bites off of play action and he clears a zone. He gets erased by CB's in man to man. It's mind boggling posters want to see this guy re-signed. I hope Bill doesn't cave in a pay this guy which he may get $15M or more.
I want to see him get re-signed because he knows how to get open and would be even better paired with an explosive #1 guy. But as the top guy with not a lot of explosive talent around him, I agree, that's really not his strength.

I want to see him get re-signed because he knows how to get open and would be even better paired with an explosive #1 guy. But as the top guy with not a lot of explosive talent around him, I agree, that's really not his strength.
Like JC Jackson last off season, I will be very interested to see what happens with Jakobi Meyers.

That's not Miguel's Page - that's OverTheCap(dot)com. Miguel updates his numbers almost daily. No idea how often that page is updated.
It's behind by weeks and they don't take everything into account like Miguel does.

I don't have to do anything. I'm a poster. I can give you the average of their contracts if I want to. You do you
Sure but you were refuting another "poster's" claim that Pats had highest cost for receivers in the league by using average salaries, which is nonsense. But you do you.

Sure but you were refuting another "poster's" claim that Pats had highest cost for receivers in the league by using average salaries, which is nonsense. But you do you.
You must have failed math.

If I pay someone $3m one year, then $6m the next, I've paid him less than the guy that got paid $5m one year, $5m the next. Basic math. Common sense. Things you're severely lacking.

You must have failed math.

If I pay someone $3m one year, then $6m the next, I've paid him less than the guy that got paid $5m one year, $5m the next. Basic math. Common sense. Things you're severely lacking.
The cap doesn't work that way. The cap is what matters on a year to year basis. There's a reason the Pats weren't able to sign any talented FA vets this season = the cap. They had too much cap money tied to receivers (top in the league). The offensive output results make that decision a colossal GM failure. It is what it is.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back