Belichick's Crypt-keeper bailing to BC

venecol

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score

I think pretty much every coach / staff that departed the Patriots has ended up in a college program. Now, Bill's fixer going to BC. Is it odd that none of them got an NFL job?

not really - a major college program likely offers similar salary, more stability, and far less insane workload... plus no Goondell - so not so odd to me.
Idk, there was a lot of turnover this season. I think there were 16 OCs that flipped. A bunch of DCs. Eight HCs were fired, which typically means their staffs get turned over. Most of these folks found jobs in the NFL. There isn't a single team in the other 31, where their staffs all ended in college programs.

Going from college to the NFL is considered a promotion. The reverse is a demotion, unless you become a HC for a program. Positional coaches in college don't make as much as they do in the NFL. Not even close.

I think it's telling that none of Belichick's old staff were wanted by any other team, including him.

Idk, there was a lot of turnover this season. I think there were 16 OCs that flipped. A bunch of DCs. Eight HCs were fired, which typically means their staffs get turned over. Most of these folks found jobs in the NFL. There isn't a single team in the other 31, where their staffs all ended in college programs.

Going from college to the NFL is considered a promotion. The reverse is a demotion, unless you become a HC for a program. Positional coaches in college don't make as much as they do in the NFL. Not even close.

I think it's telling that none of Belichick's old staff were wanted by any other team, including him.
It’s very odd to me and makes me wonder if some collusion had taken place to get rid of BB and Co. for good. I’m not generally a conspiracy theorist but the fact that all of the big players left the NFL is bizarre. I mean…not a single one of them was wanted by another program where random positions are created yearly to keep one of the fraternity employed? Not a single one of them had a favor to call on, photos of another coach with an hooters girl? I just can’t believe it.

I think a point of significance here is that Bill O’Brien is the new BC head coach, so Berj is going to work with a guy who he has a lot of familiarity with and who probably wants to run things similarly to how Belichick did.

To the point of Patriots 2023 coaches going to college and not getting NFL jobs - it’s a multi layered question.

On offense, the unit sucked and I don’t know how many guys are really guys you’d want to bring on. McDaniels already pilfered much of that staff in 2022. BOB was the only guy with a pedigree, and while he did go to college, he became a head coach which is significant.

On defense, the issue boils down to separating Belichick from the rest. Were the coaches good or was it Bill? Only a couple of guys had really made names for themselves in NFL circles in recent years - Mayo and Covington - and they both got promotions here. No reason to think they wouldn’t get NFL jobs elsewhere. But not many guys are really household names otherwise. Do any teams really think the Belichick kids have a special touch without their dad right now? I do think maybe Pellegrino would be able to get an NFL job elsewhere but he elected to stay.

That BC job is cozy. Low expectations. Get to a ****ty bowl game or two and you’ll have a job for 10 years.
It’s killer for BOB. Hometown team, and the region already loves him. I think he will be successful. He was a real dog at Penn State and exceeded expectations.

To the point of Patriots 2023 coaches going to college and not getting NFL jobs - it’s a multi layered question.

On offense, the unit sucked and I don’t know how many guys are really guys you’d want to bring on. McDaniels already pilfered much of that staff in 2022. BOB was the only guy with a pedigree, and while he did go to college, he became a head coach which is significant.

On defense, the issue boils down to separating Belichick from the rest. Were the coaches good or was it Bill? Only a couple of guys had really made names for themselves in NFL circles in recent years - Mayo and Covington - and they both got promotions here. No reason to think they wouldn’t get NFL jobs elsewhere. But not many guys are really household names otherwise. Do any teams really think the Belichick kids have a special touch without their dad right now? I do think maybe Pellegrino would be able to get an NFL job elsewhere but he elected to stay.
I also think Berj is closer to the end and has deep enough family ties here locally that the opportunity to stay close to home likely played a role. I don't know how old his kids/grandkids/whatever are (he's only 55), but he's been in the NFL for a long time here, and I'm sure he's happy working with someone he knows without having to leave the region.

Perhaps it is as simple as an NFL job is never ending and there is no time off, college jobs are less so..

I remember during the glory years tales of BB after returning from a road trip would go to the office and work all night into the following day... I suspect some of his staff did the same.

I’m a BC alum, my expectations are a little higher, a ****ty bowl game 2-3 times every 4 years. Otherwise spot on.
For real. As a BC ‘fan’, although I’ve watched maybe a handful of games in years I genuinely hope they can do something now.

Bill O’Brien was a great hire.

I also think Berj is closer to the end and has deep enough family ties here locally that the opportunity to stay close to home likely played a role. I don't know how old his kids/grandkids/whatever are (he's only 55), but he's been in the NFL for a long time here, and I'm sure he's happy working with someone he knows without having to leave the region.
Do you know Berj? Is he your friend? Does he have your phone?

• Ha Ha
Reactions: Ian
LOL, dude's been here for like 30yrs. I know how I feel at almost 50 (again - he's 55) ... I'm just guessing - but I'd be willing to bet the idea of having to pick up and deal with the stress of a new owner in a league that fires these guys almost every few years wouldn't thrill me either. If I had a friend in a good situation (O'Brien), and he called me and offered me a gig with decent pay where I wouldn't have to move at this stage of my career/life, I'd take it too. ;)

Guy has six rings and nothing left to prove. Makes perfect sense. :cool:

Also, given how long he'd been here, I was expecting him to be older. Surprised when I saw he was born in 1969. Thought for sure he was in his 60s.

The gang will reassemble when Bill summons them

Warrior Fighter GIF by Multiplayer TV

Then there's this. Our guys are going the other way. Lol

I’m a BC alum, my expectations are a little higher, a ****ty bowl game 2-3 times every 4 years. Otherwise spot on.
Stick to College Hockey. Alway a legitimate contender. BC Football. Not a prayer in todays landscape. But they always seem to get a couple of players drafted in the first 2 or 3 rounds of the draft,

College football is not religion in the North East.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
What is going to be most interesting over the next 24 months is to see how the ACC winds up as a power conference or splinters. We may also see college football move away from the conference model altogether and opt for regional mega-conferences like ice hockey or lacrosse. From a TV and travel perspective, it makes good sense.

The cost of flying football (or any teams) teams across country for a game is ridiculous - the Big Ten is already looking at new models with the arrival of USC and UCLA. (Rutgers at Nebraska was bad enough). Now the ACC has Stanford, Cal and SMU. Cal at Syracuse? How do you even book that flight for 150 players, coaches, trainers, cheerleaders and the Pep Band?

BC could be a force in a East Coast Conference comprised of Pennsylvania, NY, New England, Maryland and the Carolinas. There's an interesting map of that (Clemson, SC, all the NC schools, Penn State, Pitt, the military academies, Temple, BC, Syracuse, Maryland, etc.) Natural rivalries would be re-kindled, recruiting would be much more robust. BC's job would be get rich guys in New England to pony up NIL money to attract and keep players. We have enough gazillionaires around her to compete. The basketball would be superb on both the men's and women's sides.

And, it would condemn FSU, Miami, and the Florida schools to deal with the SEC juggernauts. Not sure why they want to rush into the SEC and be mediocrities for the next 25 years.

Big time college sports is insane, but campus life is nice, the benefits unbelievable, and if you're any good, you can dig in like a tick for life.

Last edited:

So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back