Kontradiction

On my retirement tour.
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Bill Belichick explains sneakily strategic philosophy on sacks

“I think if you look at the overall passing game, the statistic that stands out the most in terms of correlation is pressure. So pressure on the quarterback leads to more bad plays than sacks do, in terms of turnovers unless you have strip sacks, obviously. That’s the No. 1. After that, pressures cause bad throws and potentially turnovers.”

Belichick noted that the pass rush comes down to team defense, tethering the production of the pass rush to the quality of coverage and vice versa. But his note about focusing on strip sacks and pressure while devaluing sacks is a unique insight. Sacks make players money, but they may not be tied to winning football games.

Pretty much what most of us already knew, but basically saying that sacks aren't the be-all, end-all of a pass rush. Belichick values them less than strip sacks and pressures since both have higher probabilities of leading to turnovers.

I'd say that sacks are the result of pressures.

I just saw this too and rolled my eyes. He's just doing a good job standing up for his guys. I just find it hard to believe if you're putting on consistent pressure, how could you not get more sacks or a ton of incompletions/interceptions/turnovers?

You'll see something in common with all of the top D's in the NFL, they can get to the QB.

I just saw this too and rolled my eyes. He's just doing a good job standing up for his guys. I just find it hard to believe if you're putting on consistent pressure, how could you not get more sacks or a ton of incompletions/interceptions/turnovers?

You'll see something in common with all of the top D's in the NFL, they can get to the QB.

I don't think he was saying that he doesn't value them. He'd be out of his mind if he didn't. I just think he was saying that he values them less than pressures and turnovers.

Sacks aren't everything. Just take the 2015 Patriots and Broncos. The Patriots had 49 sacks, the Broncos 52. Would you say that the Patriots pass rush was about as good as the Broncos' one? Of course not and a look at the QB Hits number reveals a significantly bigger gap with the Broncos hitting the QB 123 times (19.7% of all pass plays) compare to 95 times for the Patriots (14.7%).

While I wouldn't call the current Patriots' pass rush "good", I don't think they are as bad as the sack numbers suggest. While they've only gotten 17 sacks, they have hit the QB 65 times (14.3%). That's not that much worse than that of the #1 scoring D, the Baltimore Ravens who have 64 QB hits (15.1%) and converted 32 of those into sacks.

I don't think he was saying that he doesn't value them. He'd be out of his mind if he didn't. I just think he was saying that he values them less than pressures and turnovers.

I'm sure he means it about turnovers. I expect he's lying, or carefully stating a minimized version of what he really means, about pressures. Essentially every sack is a 'bad play' for an offense, after all, and the same is not true of pressures.

Last edited:
I get that.

To me, "pressures" and "hurries" are subjective. There are times when a defender is close to a QB, but he's already in the act of throwing, yet a defender gets the credit whether the pass is completed or not. And there are times the QB doesn't even see the defender and throws it, yet the defender gets credit.

I just think pressures lead to sacks and turnovers which is what BB values. I think the media is not asking the right question. It should be "why are they lacking pressure".

Sacks aren't everything. Just take the 2015 Patriots and Broncos. The Patriots had 49 sacks, the Broncos 52. Would you say that the Patriots pass rush was about as good as the Broncos' one? Of course not and a look at the QB Hits number reveals a significantly bigger gap with the Broncos hitting the QB 123 times (19.7% of all pass plays) compare to 95 times for the Patriots (14.7%).

While I wouldn't call the current Patriots' pass rush "good", I don't think they are as bad as the sack numbers suggest. While they've only gotten 17 sacks, they have hit the QB 65 times (14.3%). That's not that much worse than that of the #1 scoring D, the Baltimore Ravens who have 64 QB hits (15.1%) and converted 32 of those into sacks.
I thought the Pats were actually pretty good that year getting after the QB. Of course the difference was that Denver had more talent.

Bill's theory may work against bad QB's but it's completely useless against good ones. Can't wait to see what he comes up with for Kirk Cousins who sports a 71 completion percentage and a 101 QB rating. Cousins is having a good year.

In order of importance...
  1. Strip sack
  2. QB hurry + hit which leads to an INT
  3. Sack
  4. QB hurry + hit which leads to an incomplete pass
  5. QB hurry which leads to an incomplete pass
The other aspect to these is the actual game situation. Depending on down, distance, score, field position one may be more preferred than the other.

One important distinction to make here: What Belichick considers to be a "pressure" may not be the same as what is recorded as one by a third party site. He obviously has the luxury of knowing what the assignments were on a play, and thus can say whether a player was where he was schemed to be (and thus affected the play) or not. So I believe him when he says that he schemes to create pressure and not necessarily sacks, but that doesn't mean he believes his defense has been as good as they can be in either regard.

In order of importance...
  1. Strip sack
  2. QB hurry + hit which leads to an INT
  3. Sack
  4. QB hurry + hit which leads to an incomplete pass
  5. QB hurry which leads to an incomplete pass
The other aspect to these is the actual game situation. Depending on down, distance, score, field position one may be more preferred than the other.

If its 3rd down, there is very little difference between 3-5 on your list. Maybe 10 yards of field position at worst.

Which I think is BB point. Sacks are overrated by most people. Getting consistent pressure is more important.

If its 3rd down, there is very little difference between 3-5 on your list. Maybe 10 yards of field position at worst.

Which I think is BB point. Sacks are overrated by most people. Getting consistent pressure is more important.
Agree however if its a close game and a FG matters then clearly #3 is preferred over 4 and 5.

Bill's theory may work against bad QB's but it's completely useless against good ones. Can't wait to see what he comes up with for Kirk Cousins who sports a 71 completion percentage and a 101 QB rating. Cousins is having a good year.

And yet for all that new found efficiency the Vikes are 25th in red zone TD's after being 14th last year. I'd anticipate the much maligned bend don't break will be the order of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back