PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick furious to lose player to Bengals?

I saw the headline a few days ago, why is this even a story? I'm sure this happens to every teams front office and coach every year. I'm also sure there are teams that are angry that the pats took a player they wanted this year.

I saw the headline a few days ago, why is this even a story? I'm sure this happens to every teams front office and coach every year. I'm also sure there are teams that are angry that the pats took a player they wanted this year.
I found it interesting that the typically Fort Knox draft room would let something like this leak.

I’m happy with Barmore. But, we could have had Shelvin and Nixon with the 4th’s we gave up. And, gone else what 46. #hindsight

Mods, please change the title of this thread that didn’t require its own thread.

A second-hand story from the spring of 2020 that could be true about Belichick loving Shelvin becomes “Belichick furious to lose player to Bengals?”, with no evidence that he was even still a Pats/BB target one year later? Come on, Chris.

The big contract given to a nose tackle listed at 311 pounds should be a pretty good hint that maybe Shelvin isn’t the prototype for what they want to do on defense anymore.

I’m pretty sure Bill understood this kind of thing was a possibility when he dealt away multiple 4s to grab Barmore.

Mods, please change the title of this thread that didn’t require its own thread.

A second-hand story from the spring of 2020 that could be true about Belichick loving Shelvin becomes “Belichick furious to lose player to Bengals?”, with no evidence that he was even still a Pats/BB target one year later? Come on, Chris.
I mean this line here
Belichick made a point to throw this out there about Shelvin: “I want No. 72. You make sure No. 72 is on our team.”

I mean this line here
Belichick made a point to throw this out there about Shelvin: “I want No. 72. You make sure No. 72 is on our team.”

Then why trade up for a different lineman, and follow up the move by taking yet another front seven player? I liked Shelvin as the best true nose tackle in the draft, but clearly we prioritized a different prototype.

Then why trade up for a different lineman, and follow up the move by taking yet another front seven player? I liked Shelvin as the best true nose tackle in the draft, but clearly we prioritized a different prototype.
Maybe BB thought he could get both?
He more than likely thought Barnore was going before 15 or top 20 at worst.

Double post. Sorry.

I deffo wanted Shelvin. Oh well.

Think of it this way: he liked Shelvin that much and liked the players we took ahead of him even more.

This seems like that story where Bill said Harvey Langi was a 1st rounder and a year later he went undrafted. A lot can happen in a year - and the fact is he couldn't have wanted him that badly, or at all, or he wouldn't have selected Barmore at 38, or drafted Stevenson at 120, knowing that Shelvin would definitely be gone by the next time they would pick at 177.

Maybe that's the new Patriots way of drafting. BB's consulting more with BB.
"I really hope and believe I’ve seen a different approach this year," said Kraft. "Each morning of the draft, Bill will give himself a pep talk in the bathroom mirror."

Saturday night, heard at the Belichick home: "Really, Bill... pick 122? I thought we talked about this... I am furious with you."

Last edited:
Beli
"I really hope and believe I’ve seen a different approach this year," said Kraft. "Each morning of the draft, Bill will give himself a pep talk in the bathroom mirror."

Saturday night, heard at the Belichick home: "Really, Bill... pick 122? I thought we talked about this... I am furious with you."
It appears that it is literally Belichick the coach vs Belichick the GM

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back