PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick furious to lose player to Bengals?

what a dumb pointless story... does this article not realize Pats picked at 120. Shelvin went at 122. If Belichick really wanted him he would have picked him at 96 or 120.

Untitled.jpg

hell, if he really really wanted him he would have just kept 46 and taken him

media really bored now that the draft is over

Last edited:
Have to weigh in on Belichick’s side, no team should be picking the player you want before you pick, it’s not sportsmanlike. If you get dibs on shotgun you definitely should get the player you want regardless of who picks before you, and their desires. If nothing else at least man up to Rock Paper Scissors if need be, but don’t act like a little b.t h and take a player you know someone else really wants when you can take anyone other than those other teams want. Can’t believe this is even open to discussion! Ian, close this thread now.

Tampa Bay livid at New England for taking Mac "Little Tom" Jones.

Blame Bob Kraft. Vow retaliation in Foxboro.

last year we lost out on mckinney (a perfect replacement for d mccourty) who went to the giants with the pick before ours and we got the runner up trophy, aka Duggar!

this year, we shoot ourselves in the nuts and take Stevenson over shelvin! Ouch!

why is it that bb keeps forgetting to take his meds when the draft starts?

Shelvin is a monster, no doubt. I watched some highlights and, yikes, it is not clear how anyone ever got up after being tackled by him. And he can seriously destroy the pocket from the middle. It is indeed curious that the Patriots took Stevenson instead of Shelvin. Too bad, but let's see how Stevenson looks.

what a dumb pointless story... does this article not realize Pats picked at 120. Shelvin went at 122. If Belichick really wanted him he would have picked him at 96 or 120.

View attachment 32805

hell, if he really really wanted him he would have just kept 46 and taken him

media really bored now that the draft is over
Yea I'm not buying it either.

So silly.

BB "furious" is a tad hyperbolic.. some guy says that in 2019 when BB was scouting LSU players he allegedly said, “I want No. 72. You make sure No. 72 is on our team.” "BB punching the air" really stupid comment.

Scribes need to make their mark and have fans click on their articles no matter how unsubstantiated or poor they are.. it is how this whole thing is monetized. It is even more ludicrous as the Pats could have had Shelvin at pick #120, instead choosing Stevenson..

last year we lost out on mckinney (a perfect replacement for d mccourty) who went to the giants with the pick before ours and we got the runner up trophy, aka Duggar!

this year, we shoot ourselves in the nuts and take Stevenson over shelvin! Ouch!

why is it that bb keeps forgetting to take his meds when the draft starts?
Show me one credible source who said/wrote that the Pats preferred the smaller, slower, less explosive McKinney to DuggER and then took DuggER as a consolation prize.

As for Stevenson over Shevlin, that BB quote was from the 2020 offseason. Team needs (post 2021 free agency) and schemes change, other college players (those who didn’t opt out) emerged in 2021 (their 2nd round DT, for example) and obviously Bill and co. had Stevenson higher on their board than Shelvin. Someone here wrote a very good post a couple of months ago detailing why pure run-stoppers like Shelvin are less in demand in general in the NFL and why other DTs in this year’s draft were better fits for the Pats.

Your post is something I would expect from Captain Stone, if he started to take the meds that his psychiatrist has prescribed (no meds will be fully effective on the Captain).

Last edited:
This reminds me when the dork coach from Minnesota claimed they stole Percy Harvin from the Pats. In both cases with Vikings and Bengals there is no proof to support such claims.

If he had wanted Shelvin, he would have taken Shelvin. My guess is they didn't expect to get Barmore (and he also said that before they signed Godchaux, Anderson, etc.)...and also, didn't Shelvin test terribly and have weight issues?

I dunno, when pick 120 came around, I thought they might take Shelvin and was shocked to see Stevenson (who I had on almost all of my mock drafts because I love his game) as the selection.

This reminds me when the dork coach from Minnesota claimed they stole Percy Harvin from the Pats. In both cases with Vikings and Bengals there is no proof to support such claims.
Brad Childress, who AFAIK Belichick despised even before he became Vikings HC.

Shelvin didn't go until pick #122.

If BB really had loved Shelvin he could have given up future picks to get back into the middle of the 4th round but he didn't.

It's clear to me that BB valued Barmore way more than Shelvin.

Also good point there that BB passed on Shelvin to take Stevenson at #120. I think that's the most revealing pick. BB could have had Shelvin but decided to take a RB instead.

If he had wanted Shelvin, he would have taken Shelvin. My guess is they didn't expect to get Barmore (and he also said that before they signed Godchaux, Anderson, etc.)...and also, didn't Shelvin test terribly and have weight issues?

I dunno, when pick 120 came around, I thought they might take Shelvin and was shocked to see Stevenson (who I had on almost all of my mock drafts because I love his game) as the selection.

i don’t see any weight issue, he’s only 350 lbs.

i don’t see any weight issue, he’s only 350 lbs.

Agree. If he comes to camp @360, then there's a problem.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back