PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick Can't Have Much Faith In The Kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by shmessy
Yup.

Always cracks me up when some posters feel that is was the rookie WR's who were the problem and not the $h/tsalad TE position (ex of 5 games of Gronk). Let them develop and CORRECT the TE deficit (largely affected by Hoodlumdez' arrest).

If the Pats passing game lives or dies because of the TE position then they dont have good enough WRs. It wasnt that way with Troy Brown, Givens, Branch and Patten.

Hernandez played in the 2012 AFCC and NE never scored a point in the 2nd half. And, this is the 3rd consecutive season that NE has failed to win a SB and Gronk not being able to play was the excuse.

Kraft should put a new banner up at Gillette "If Gronk had played we would have won"

LOL. "It wasn't that way with Troy Bown, David Givens, Deion Branch and David Patten" REALLY? Let's take a look at the facts, shall we?

Rookie Season Comparison:

Troy Brown: 2 Rec, 22 Yds 0 TD
David Givens: 9 Rec, 92 Yds 1 TD
Deion Branch: 43 rec 489 Yds 2 TD
David Patten: 13 Rec 226 Yds 2 TD

Now:

Thompkins: 32 Rec 466 Yds 4 TD
Dobson: 37 Rec 519 Yds 4 TD
Boyce was hurt most of the season and came on at the end. Even with that, he had a better rookie season than either Brown or Givens.

Really. In the age of the internet, you couldn't have taken a few moments to look this stuff up before trying to toss that up there?

Originally Posted by shmessy
Yup.

Always cracks me up when some posters feel that is was the rookie WR's who were the problem and not the $h/tsalad TE position (ex of 5 games of Gronk). Let them develop and CORRECT the TE deficit (largely affected by Hoodlumdez' arrest).

LOL. "It wasn't that way with Troy Bown, David Givens, Deion Branch and David Patten" REALLY? Let's take a look at the facts, shall we?

Rookie Season Comparison:

Troy Brown: 2 Rec, 22 Yds 0 TD
David Givens: 9 Rec, 92 Yds 1 TD
Deion Branch: 43 rec 489 Yds 2 TD
David Patten: 13 Rec 226 Yds 2 TD

Now:

Thompkins: 32 Rec 466 Yds 4 TD
Dobson: 37 Rec 519 Yds 4 TD
Boyce was hurt most of the season and came on at the end. Even with that, he had a better rookie season than either Brown or Givens.

Really. In the age of the internet, you couldn't have taken a few moments to look this stuff up before trying to toss that up there?

I do not think there is another position in the NFL outside of maybe QB that players make as drastic a leap in year one to two. Look at the receivers who were in their second year in 2013 –

- Josh Gordon
- Alshon Jeffery
- TY Hilton
- Kendall Wright
- Rob Streater

If you look at most of the top receivers they did not hit the ground running, Thomas did not have his first impact season until season three.

Personally, I expect both Dobson and Boyce to be major factors in 2014, I do not have a lot of confidence in Thompkins because I just do not see the talent level needed to be a starting NFL receiver. He would have to contribute on special teams to make this team in my opinion, but I could be very wrong.

I do not think there is another position in the NFL outside of maybe QB that players make as drastic a leap in year one to two. Look at the receivers who were in their second year in 2013 –

- Josh Gordon
- Alshon Jeffery
- TY Hilton
- Kendall Wright
- Rob Streater

If you look at most of the top receivers they did not hit the ground running, Thomas did not have his first impact season until season three.

Personally, I expect both Dobson and Boyce to be major factors in 2014, I do not have a lot of confidence in Thompkins because I just do not see the talent level needed to be a starting NFL receiver. He would have to contribute on special teams to make this team in my opinion, but I could be very wrong.
I'm really looking forward to reading about all three in training camp and hoping all three can make the final roster. Ideally they should be improved with a year of experience and full off season under their belts but I'll definitely be rooting for Thompkins who faded down the stretch last season.

-Josh Gordon

-Alshon Jeffery

-TY Hilton

-Kendall Wright

-Rob Streater

I expect Dobson and Boyce to make a leap and really hope Dobson makes an Jeffery leap.

KT is kind of a wild card IMO. Not talent like the others, but he could still make a 2nd year leap (probably not a huge one) himself also.

Going to be an interesting year for both the new vet receivers and our rookies.

I expect Dobson and Boyce to make a leap and really hope Dobson makes an Jeffery leap.

KT is kind of a wild card IMO. Not talent like the others, but he could still make a 2nd year leap (probably not a huge one) himself also.

Going to be an interesting year for both the new vet receivers and our rookies.

Belichick expects they will improve too - otherwise they'd already be gone.

All we can say is they'll either win the jobs or they won't

whether they make the team or get beat out by any of the veterans brought in is really up to them, as well as the Veterans. All things being equal, Belichick will keep the younger talent, but the ball is in their court so to speak

All things being equal, Belichick will keep the younger talent, but the ball is in their court so to speak

Normally, I'd definitely agree that Belichick will almost always choose the younger, cheaper option when on the fence. In the case of the WRs though, I think he was a little miffed last season by the lack of veteran presence. There was simply too much youth.

Obviously, that wasn't the plan, but the injuries to Gronk/Amendola + the arrest of Hernandez threw him into that situation. I think he's looking for a healthier combination this season, not that I'm necessarily meaning to say that the better talent won't win the spot.

I still think the odds of all 3 rookies from last year winning a spot are pretty low myself. We'll have to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back