PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick Breaks down what he looks for in a WR

Status
Not open for further replies.
top rank sport GIF by Top Rank Boxing

What does Bill look for in a WR? Whatever his coaching buddies tell him, that's what...And it has to be somebody he "likes"...And also somebody who "knocks it out of the park" in his interview...

Last edited:
We haven't tried drafting a diva. That or an angry wideout. Maybe that loose screw from day one is needed. Hell, if Harry was a bully....Anquan Boldin.
Sadly that is what I thought we were getting.

Amazing how much "Bill Sucks" sentiments get expressed on the one web site we'd think we'd not be buried in that :poop:

Sooo many fan bases would be so happy to put up with his few weaknesses if they came along with his greatness too.
Well he's set the bar so high that only perfection will do. Zero mistakes...Super Bowls all a round for everyone. Anything less must be punishable by death.

Get with the times man.

Ahhh yes. Ignore the fact that a guy who won us 6 rings was shown the door and immediately won a 7th. How in the world could anyone still be talking about something that happened less than 6 months ago?! That is ancient history! Good thing we have such astute posters like you to make sure the Patsfans ship is being steered in the right direction. Bill must be defended at all costs!!

Couldn’t disagree more. Brady wasn’t “ shown the door,,” he wanted out, period, He didn’t want to play for Belichick anymore, and I think both he and Giselle wanted to live somewhere warm. He s also on record as saying he wanted to do what Manning did and go to another team and win a Lombardi,

I also believe Belichick was ready to move on because he wanted to rebuild to championship level before hanging it up, How he fares in attaining that goal will be completely in him, but so far I think he’s doing a good job transitioning from a 20 year dynasty to becoming relevant again. There will still be ton of work over the next couple of years as leaders like McCourty, Hightower, and Slater will be hanging them up, but I trust Belichick and his staff to build another great defense.

People can b.tch if they want but I’m not sure how anyone could have ever expected more than what they have achieved, I’m happy about where they are at, and where they are going,

What does Bill look for in a WR? Whatever his coaching buddies tell him...And somebody he "likes"...And somebody who "knocks it out of the park" in his interview...
There is some truth in that. I see a different approach in drafting in 2021 however (regardless of how many draft geniuses here say different). I do think there will be more collaboration with scouts and other "consultants" going forward.

Until proven otherwise (no pressure, Tre Nixon), Bill admittedly does suck at drafting WRs.
If we are going to use a 7th round draft pick as a piece of evidence in our kangaroo court, then his future performance (or lack thereof) should only be used against other seventh round NFL draft picks; otherwise we are comparing red apples to brown shoe boxes.

Why the personnel department whiffs on college WRs so often, yet is able to find veteran WRs for next to nothing often enough to succeed is a head scratcher. Maybe they need to move some pro personnel scouts to the college side.

Back to my main point, let's please not make this into yet another Brady vs Belichick thread; I really thought we were finally past that. The topic has already been debated to death, to the point where there is zero upside in rehashing it. Both benefited from the other.

If we are going to use a 7th round draft pick as a piece of evidence in our kangaroo court, then his future performance (or lack thereof) should only be used against other seventh round NFL draft picks; otherwise we are comparing red apples to brown shoe boxes.

Why the personnel department whiffs on college WRs so often, yet is able to find veteran WRs for next to nothing often enough to succeed is a head scratcher. Maybe they need to move some pro personnel scouts to the college side.
Well he did take a UDFA who played QB in college and turned him into a Super Bowl MVP at WR, the man and his staff deserves some credit for that.

The core issue is that what he looks for in his ideal WR is not what a fantasy football player looks for in a WR and people are butt hurt because we don't have that.

I've posted this many times, but if you really want to know what BB looks for in a WR, read this:

I think if you read this you get a better idea of why he picked Harry and some of the others, and why he hasn't picked others.

It's important to read the start where he says you build the offense to attack the inside first to draw defenders in, then work the outside.

That is his overall goal for the offense, thus he puts lots of resources into lineman and inside runners rather than WRs.

He really values WRs who can block during pass protection and get off the line of scrimmage on 3rd down and be big targets, rather than speed demons.

Last edited:
Couldn’t disagree more. Brady wasn’t “ shown the door,,” he wanted out, period, He didn’t want to play for Belichick anymore, and I think both he and Giselle wanted to live somewhere warm. He s also on record as saying he wanted to do what Manning did and go to another team and win a Lombardi,

I also believe Belichick was ready to move on because he wanted to rebuild to championship level before hanging it up, How he fares in attaining that goal will be completely in him, but so far I think he’s doing a good job transitioning from a 20 year dynasty to becoming relevant again. There will still be ton of work over the next couple of years as leaders like McCourty, Hightower, and Slater will be hanging them up, but I trust Belichick and his staff to build another great defense.

People can b.tch if they want but I’m not sure how anyone could have ever expected more than what they have achieved, I’m happy about where they are at, and where they are going,
We can agree to disagree on Brady "wanting" to leave.

Maybe somone else posted this but I heard Bill says he wants people who can get open and catch the ball. Well, yeah, that is what every coach would want. It does sound like a BB answer to a dumb media question like "what do you look for in a receiver Bill?"

We can agree to disagree on Brady "wanting" to leave.
That’s fine but there is no evidence he wanted to finish his career in NE.

That’s fine but there is no evidence he wanted to finish his career in NE.
I am sure he would have been fine with that, but Bill wanted Brady out long before Brady did.

Maybe somone else posted this but I heard Bill says he wants people who can get open and catch the ball. Well, yeah, that is what every coach would want. It does sound like a BB answer to a dumb media question like "what do you look for in a receiver Bill?"
What Bill wants is....guys who are cheap. Get open and catch the ball? Well geez, not sure that is bordering on genius level to want that.

I am sure he would have been fine with that, but Bill wanted Brady out long before Brady did.

I think Belichick was ready to move on from Brady as much as Brady was ready to move on from him. And Belichick laughed at John Lynch when he asked if Brady was available, and then traded Garrapolo to him a couple a few months later.

I think Belichick was ready to move on from Brady as much as Brady was ready to move on from him. And Belichick laughed at John Lynch when he asked if Brady was available, and then traded Garrapolo to him a couple a few months later.
Yes, that is one story, another is Belichick wanted Brady gone the year after he won MVP and took them to a superbowl and threw for 500 yards. Belichick wanted JG, and Kraft stopped it. I am not sure which version is true, but if that version is true, then Belichick was about to make a huge mistake. At the end, Belichick could not keep Brady even if he wanted to, they had no money, so frankly to me, this talk about Belichick wanted brady gone is not very true. The fact is Brady outlasted what Bill thought he would and that left a bad timing issue with JG. JG was going to leave, because he was not going to take some bridge contract when he could get big money from the niners and not have to be the guy to take over for Brady, and Brady was just flat out better and JG could not beat him out so JG was traded. When it came time when Brady's contract was over he wanted a two year deal, Bill still didnt get that Brady could still play so Brady left and then went on to win the superbowl. There really is nobody to blame, but saying that does not make for good headlines.

Bill gets credit for having full control of the team, hence much credit for 6 Super Bowls.

Bill gets blame for failing to keep the greatest asset in sports. Whether Brady wanted to stay or not by the end, the bottom line is that Bill is the GM and the coach. He failed to keep the team’s best player. He didn’t make an enticing offer, or an enticing environment, or whatever was required for the player to want to remain in New England. It’s a bottom line, no excuse business, no? Those of you justifying this because Bill’s personally preferred timeframe, Bill personally wanting to do it on his own, Bill just feeling like it’s time for a change. etc. merely show you are incredibly confused and do not understand that Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots are separate entities.

Yes, that is one story, another is Belichick wanted Brady gone the year after he won MVP and took them to a superbowl and threw for 500 yards. Belichick wanted JG, and Kraft stopped it. I am not sure which version is true, but if that version is true, then Belichick was about to make a huge mistake. At the end, Belichick could not keep Brady even if he wanted to, they had no money, so frankly to me, this talk about Belichick wanted brady gone is not very true. The fact is Brady outlasted what Bill thought he would and that left a bad timing issue with JG. JG was going to leave, because he was not going to take some bridge contract when he could get big money from the niners and not have to be the guy to take over for Brady, and Brady was just flat out better and JG could not beat him out so JG was traded. When it came time when Brady's contract was over he wanted a two year deal, Bill still didnt get that Brady could still play so Brady left and then went on to win the superbowl. There really is nobody to blame, but saying that does not make for good headlines.
John Lynch was the person who told the story about Belichick laughing at him when he asked if Brady was available, and there was absolutely no reason for him to make that up.

As for the second part of your post I basically agree with it hit, I think Belichick was unwilling to give Brady a multi year deal, and I think Belichick believed that it was time to reset the franchise for life without Brady. I’m as big a Brady fan as you will find but I understand why Belichick was looking at it that wayBrady made a great decision in going to Tampa Bay as they are loaded with talent, and his decision brought even more pieces in Brown and Gronk, but I am not sure if there was another club with that much talent that Brady could have won a Lombardi with. That will be sacrilegious to most Brady fans but it’s how I see it. I don’t believe K.C. would have won with Brady as their OL was horrendous, I don’t think he could have won with S.F. with all those injuries, and Buffalo, Tennessee would not have had enough either, at least IMO. He might have been able to pull it off with Baltimore or Cleveland. He’s still a good QB but he needs a lot around him, and Belichick had maxed out his cap trying to win Lombardi’s with him, so I get why he felt he had to move on. I also think Belichick relies heavily on metrics and no other player in NFL history has been able to performance at Brady’s level at this age. People can argue that he should have recognized that Brady is an outlier and should have tried to load up with WR’s, and that can be argued forever. So I think that people can debate the latter but I think the argument that Belichick wanted to get rid of him the year he trade Garrapolo is complete fiction, and Lynch proved that when he said that Belichick laughed at the idea f moving Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes