PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Before March 10th and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I write this to focus on the timing issue. Flowers is the highest priority. That doesn't mean that
his contract will have before the others. The first example is Schwenke. He was a good sign, and certainly not be considered higher priority than other who will be signed later.

BEFORE MARCH 10th

I think that the focus will be on signing some of our "lower and mid level" free agents, from this list: Gostkowski, Allen, Simon, Hill, J Jones and McClellan. WR ERFA Hollister will be signed (he has no other choice).
====================
MARCH 10-13 (when there are legal offers from other teams)

The focus for March 10 - March 13th (after they get offers from other teams will move to McCourty, T Brown and Flowers.
=================
ANY TIME OR NOT AT ALL

For me, the others are of lower priority (some much, much lower) and could happen at any time, or not at all: Patterson, Hogan, Dorsett, M Brown, Shelton, Waddle, Humber, Gordon, Ulrick, and Rowe.

Also, trades could happen at any time, with rumors likely during the combine.

Last edited:
I think Waddle is going to be resigned from everything I've read......Patterson would be a nice signing also..........

I would be surprised if there is any resolution to the big ticket FA items before free agency opens (or in the hours leading up to it when the leaks start to appear).

BB has shown with similarly important players as Flowers in the past (DMac, HT) that they are fine letting them go try out whats there in FA and then let them get back to the Pats to see if there is a way to make a deal.

Any player that is an unrestricted FA and signs an extension before FA opens needs to fire his agent. Which is why I would assume that the Pats will franchise Ghost with the hope to get a 2-3 year deal done during Spring some time and don't have to worry about losing one of the best kickers in FA.

I would be surprised if there is any resolution to the big ticket FA items before free agency opens (or in the hours leading up to it when the leaks start to appear).

BB has shown with similarly important players as Flowers in the past (DMac, HT) that they are fine letting them go try out whats there in FA and then let them get back to the Pats to see if there is a way to make a deal.

Any player that is an unrestricted FA and signs an extension before FA opens needs to fire his agent. Which is why I would assume that the Pats will franchise Ghost with the hope to get a 2-3 year deal done during Spring some time and don't have to worry about losing one of the best kickers in FA.
That's pretty right on the money, L. The ONLY reason for the Pats to sign someone before 3/10 is to get them on a team friendly deal, and what player in his right mind would sign something that early and NOT check out what the market has to offer.

If they get few offers OR the only teams that want to pay them big money are teams they don't want to go to, they can always come back and give the Pats a 10-15% discount. Flowers and Brown are absolutely going to get offers and the only chance the Pats will get them back is to either match the market or THEY decide the money isn't worth the change of scenery. The Pats are usually offer close to the market deals for players they REALLY want back.

BTW- recommending players to find out what's out there is good PR for the Pats. I shows good faith.

As to specifics - I think they will pay a "market-like" price for Flowers, and he'll be back barring a "I've been blown out of the water" kind of a deal, like the one Solder got last season.

Brown is more likely to take a good money deal more because he knows there is someone right behind him looking to take his job in Wynn. However if he stays, it would show that the Pats are preparing for life after Thuney. But I'm guessing its the former.

CP is an interesting case. He now KNOWS what a difference being on a team that really knows how to use him and being on one that doesn't. Like so many who have "found themselves" and made a lot of money by coming here, CP CAN take the money and run, OR stay and be among people who can get the most out of his game. If I were him, I'd choose to stay on a one year deal and hope he can REALLY break out and get a big payday from someone in 2020.

I liked your take on Gotskowski. Bill likes stability in his kicking game hand he has with Stephen and Ryan. So I believe he will get both under contact before TC.

The rest of the FA class is up in the air. I think Hill will want to come back and he'd be a perfect complement for that RB room. He will take a one year prove it deal to reignite his career.

Simon is a really interesting guy. They trusted him more and more as the season went on.

Bottom line, you can't sign everyone. There will be 15-20 new players by next September.

bump

I write this to focus on the timing issue. Flowers is the highest priority. That doesn't mean that
his contract will have before the others. The first example is Schwenke. He was a good sign, and certainly not be considered higher priority than other who will be signed later.

BEFORE MARCH 10th

I think that the focus will be on signing some of our "lower and mid level" free agents, from this list: Gostkowski, Ryan, Simon, Hill, J Jones and McClellan. WR ERFA Hollister will be signed (he has no other choice).
====================
MARCH 10-13 (when there are legal offers from other teams)

The focus for March 10 - March 13th (after they get offers from other teams will move to McCourty, T Brown and Flowers.
=================
ANY TIME OR NOT AT ALL

For me, the others are of lower priority (some much, much lower) and could happen at any time, or not at all: Patterson, Hogan, Dorsett, M Brown, Shelton, Waddle, Humber, Gordon, Ulrick, and Rowe.

Also, trades could happen at any time, with rumors likely during the combine.

I would expect bb to resign 5 or so of our free agent players but none before March 15.

I would expect bb to sign 5 or so free agents from other teams. DT, 2 wr, ol, and de.

I would expect bb to release 2 or 3 players from our current roster.

I would expect bb to restructure 2 or 3 players from our current roster.

I would hope bb uses at least 4 or our top six draft picks on defense.

Brown is more likely to take a good money deal more because he knows there is someone right behind him looking to take his job in Wynn. However if he stays, it would show that the Pats are preparing for life after Thuney. But I'm guessing its the former.

CP is an interesting case. He now KNOWS what a difference being on a team that really knows how to use him and being on one that doesn't. Like so many who have "found themselves" and made a lot of money by coming here, CP CAN take the money and run, OR stay and be among people who can get the most out of his game. If I were him, I'd choose to stay on a one year deal and hope he can REALLY break out and get a big payday from someone in 2020.

I liked your take on Gotskowski. Bill likes stability in his kicking game hand he has with Stephen and Ryan. So I believe he will get both under contact before TC.

The rest of the FA class is up in the air. I think Hill will want to come back and he'd be a perfect complement for that RB room. He will take a one year prove it deal to reignite his career.

Simon is a really interesting guy. They trusted him more and more as the season went on.

Bottom line, you can't sign everyone. There will be 15-20 new players by next September.

IMO they should resign Thuney for 50-60% of the money that Brown will make draft another T and use our #1 round pick on LT. There is a reason we did it.

Reasons:

Thuney is a beast (Thuney > Brown)
Saves a LOT of money that you can bring a quality vet such as Cameron Wake
Already have a T in house

If you give Brown 15m and Thuney costs 8m

7m + Clayborn cut should be enough to bring Wake

I would expect bb to resign 5 or so of our free agent players but none before March 15.

I would expect bb to sign 5 or so free agents from other teams. DT, 2 wr, ol, and de.

I would expect bb to release 2 or 3 players from our current roster.

I would expect bb to restructure 2 or 3 players from our current roster.

I would hope bb uses at least 4 or our top six draft picks on defense.

I hope they bring 1 WR/1TE and a T(if they don't resign Brown or Waddle, if they do bring another WR)

IMO they should resign Thuney for 50-60% of the money that Brown will make draft another T and use our #1 round pick on LT. There is a reason we did it.

Reasons:

Thuney is a beast (Thuney > Brown)
Saves a LOT of money that you can bring a quality vet such as Cameron Wake
Already have a T in house

If you give Brown 15m and Thuney costs 8m

7m + Clayborn cut should be enough to bring Wake

The O line as a whole is getting pricey. Mason's new contract kicks in this year and Cannon has 7.5 m cap hit. At some point, we need to get some fresh blood. It also most makes no financial sense to keep Trent Brown.

I don't think Thuney is worth the same level of money as Shaq Mason. I was thinking that 7-8m might be a bit too rich and we should be able to get him a bit cheaper. But then again Josh Kline is making 6.7m this year.

Looks like we got Mason on a pretty friendly deal. I didn't realize it at the time.

I don't think Thuney is worth the same level of money as Shaq Mason. I was thinking that 7-8m might be a bit too rich and we should be able to get him a bit cheaper. But then again Josh Kline is making 6.7m this year.

Looks like we got Mason on a pretty friendly deal. I didn't realize it at the time.

The ''problem'' is that we sign Mason early, if we can resign him this year i think he will have a lower number. But my point was that he is a proven vet, that never misses a game, and will cost half of Brown money. So i would love to give Wynn a chance and bring another T maybe to take Cannon spot in a year or 2. With the spare money bring a vet like Cam Wake or a WR and you have a young kid signed for a long time(Thuney), a proven ED/WR/DT and maybe even a comp pick if we sign a vet that was cut

The O line as a whole is getting pricey. Mason's new contract kicks in this year and Cannon has 7.5 m cap hit. At some point, we need to get some fresh blood. It also most makes no financial sense to keep Trent Brown.

Yes, but Andrews and Mason are steals. Wynn is a cheap rookie for 4 more years. Cannon has a really fair deal. So lock Thuney and keep them together for years to come.

I had to look up Klein's salary. I didn't believe it. Wtf. Thuney is worth $8m easy. Agree. Might be a bit too rich for BB but protecting Tom and running the ball are priority 1 and 1b now

I don't think it's out of the question that Thuney's replacement might get drafted this year.

I don't think it's out of the question that Thuney's replacement might get drafted this year.

I expect us to trade for an OT, and to draft an OL with a top pick. If we draft an OT, then Waddle is gone. If we draft an OG, then Waddle will stay.

I expect us to trade for an OT, and to draft an OL with a top pick. If we draft an OT, then Waddle is gone. If we draft an OG, then Waddle will stay.
I don't see OL as a particular need right now. I'm getting the impression that the team likes UJohn and he will be healthy next year. Waddles is on shaky ground I'm guessing, I think the team is hopping one of the younger guys they have in the pipeline will beat him out.

Of course we have 12 picks so odds are we will be drafting at least one OL in that bunch, though I will be surprised if its in the first 5 picks. This draft will be defensive heavy with the emphasis on DL, S, and LB. I wouldn't be surprised to see a TE and WR also squeeze into those top 6 picks

We aren't going to use the 12 picks in the draft. Most likely will draft maximum 6 new players the rest will be used for trades and probably even for 2020.

I can't see us being able to sign both Flowers and T Brown. With Wynn fit and ready I fully expect Brown to go.

Flowers, Gostkowski and Allen are likely the only players to be resigned.

We aren't going to use the 12 picks in the draft. Most likely will draft maximum 6 new players the rest will be used for trades and probably even for 2020.

I can't see us being able to sign both Flowers and T Brown. With Wynn fit and ready I fully expect Brown to go.

Flowers, Gostkowski and Allen are likely the only players to be resigned.

I would be surprised if Flowers is a NEP in 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes