PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard: Patriots down on Winovich, Jennings

Chase is not that good. Lots of guys have good effort, even if that effort is blindly aimed and misses the play running by you, or where you should have stayed setting the edge while looking for high-fives because you're grunting hard, and jumping high afterward. If he can accept coaching and his role, I'm fine with him staying but Hall and Uche seem like the ones to build with. and Bentley in a certain role. If HT comes back at peak condition, then we could have a couple years of him training the guys up.

Here's the good news about them playing this year rather than hiding them on the sidelines, you have a better idea of what you got with them. I said all year long that Winovich has massively regressed which was probably due to not having better playing around him taking the attention away. Jennings is being misused as at LB as he's isolated in space/middle of the field way too much. Watch his college highlights, he needs to rush the passer more. Ditto with Uche.

But it's funny how talk is about Winovich/Uche/Jennings when John Simon is the worst player at his position per PFF. In fact, I didn't need that confirmation from them as he can't set the edge on a weekly basis and is almost always ineffective.

Another thing to watch out for, the rumor of Winovich being a "locker room Lawyer" is not a good sign for BB. If this team is not winning, players will get tired of Bill's schtick really quickly and just flat out not buy in. That's going to be an underrated challenge that Bill faces.

Another thing to watch out for, the rumor of Winovich being a "locker room Lawyer" is not a good sign for BB. If this team is not winning, players will get tired of Bill's schtick really quickly and just flat out not buy in. That's going to be an underrated challenge that Bill faces.
Sooooooo....they hate their coach....again? I'll take it, means SB's on the horizon.

There weren’t any quality prospects at OLB drafted after Jennings, so it is what it is at that position. Both Trautman and Harrison Bryant, however, were drafted after Keene and Asiasi. That’s criminal. So is drafting a K that you would later cut when both Tyler and Collin Johnson, two quality WR prospects, were still on the board in the 5th. The former has been buried on the depth chart in Tampa, but has already developed a bit of a rapport with Brady when he’s gotten reps. He’d have been valuable here since he’s a very good route runner but I guess they weren’t impressed with his 3-cone. The latter came on strong at the end of the season even with a hodgepodge of **** QBs throwing him the ball in Jax.

Here's the good news about them playing this year rather than hiding them on the sidelines, you have a better idea of what you got with them. I said all year long that Winovich has massively regressed which was probably due to not having better playing around him taking the attention away. Jennings is being misused as at LB as he's isolated in space/middle of the field way too much. Watch his college highlights, he needs to rush the passer more. Ditto with Uche.

But it's funny how talk is about Winovich/Uche/Jennings when John Simon is the worst player at his position per PFF. In fact, I didn't need that confirmation from them as he can't set the edge on a weekly basis and is almost always ineffective.

The locker room lawyer thing caught my eye because I had no idea what it meant. Google suggests it means a player who advocates for himself and other players using logic. To me that sounds like a good thing, I don't want a team full of robots.

The locker room lawyer thing caught my eye because I had no idea what it meant. Google suggests it means a player who advocates for himself and other players using logic. To me that sounds like a good thing, I don't want a team full of robots.
Who is he advocating to? He’s advocating to the coaches. It means he’s questioning what the coaches are asking him to do.

At any job, there is a learning curve. I’ve been at my job for over 20 years, and I’m extremely opinionated and people roll their eyes when asking for my thoughts on things because they know what coming...... My first 2 years on the job, I kept my mouth shut the entire time because I didn’t know what I was doing and didn’t have the experience to know what it took to be successful, but my coworkers and bosses did.

What has Chase Winovich done to prove he can do that in the NFL with the most successful coach in NFL history? Rodney and Tedy could say things. DMac and Gilmore can say things. That what you have captains for, the captains are the ones who should be advocating for the players, and in turn the captains are the ones who help carry out the instructions and explain why it should be done that way. Is Chase a captain?

There’s nothing wrong with questioning instructions - feedback is a good thing. But you need to build up credibility in order to do so. Chase has none.

Who is he advocating to? He’s advocating to the coaches. It means he’s questioning what the coaches are asking him to do.

At any job, there is a learning curve. I’ve been at my job for over 20 years, and I’m extremely opinionated and people roll their eyes when asking for my thoughts on things because they know what coming...... My first 2 years on the job, I kept my mouth shut the entire time because I didn’t know what I was doing and didn’t have the experience to know what it took to be successful, but my coworkers and bosses did.

What has Chase Winovich done to prove he can do that in the NFL with the most successful coach in NFL history? Rodney and Tedy could say things. DMac and Gilmore can say things. That what you have captains for, the captains are the ones who should be advocating for the players, and in turn the captains are the ones who help carry out the instructions and explain why it should be done that way. Is Chase a captain?

There’s nothing wrong with questioning instructions - feedback is a good thing. But you need to build up credibility in order to do so. Chase has none.
The thing about a vague term like "locker room lawyer" is you don't know that they mean he's questioning football instructions. It could also mean he's just outspoken about certain issues and making more players aware of things the staff didn't want them aware of.

There weren’t any quality prospects at OLB drafted after Jennings, so it is what it is at that position. Both Trautman and Harrison Bryant, however, were drafted after Keene and Asiasi. That’s criminal. So is drafting a K that you would later cut when both Tyler and Collin Johnson, two quality WR prospects, were still on the board in the 5th. The former has been buried on the depth chart in Tampa, but has already developed a bit of a rapport with Brady when he’s gotten reps. He’d have been valuable here since he’s a very good route runner but I guess they weren’t impressed with his 3-cone. The latter came on strong at the end of the season even with a hodgepodge of **** QBs throwing him the ball in Jax.
The kicker pick killed me. Especially when Caserio talked about it after the draft and was asked why they moved up for him and he seemed to just say because we could in a slightly smug way. Fast forward and that kicker never did a thing and we brought in Aguero at the end of the season to the PS.

The kicker pick killed me. Especially when Caserio talked about it after the draft and was asked why they moved up for him and he seemed to just say because we could in a slightly smug way. Fast forward and that kicker never did a thing and we brought in Aguero at the end of the season to the PS.
Dito, esp when in the draft forum where named quite a few other names who are performing way better like blankenship
i did hope for wr or IDL there

Man I’m a big fan on Winovich. It hurts to see he’s not quite putting it together.

I hope he’s one of those stories of someone who speaks to the right person that helps him develop his game, as well as his maturity.

I like wino, feel better when he is on the field instead of Simon or the other DE

It was obvious Jennings couldn't run when they selected him. He's a guy who needs to play the run, set the edge and provide some 3rd down pressure. The mental mistakes are worrying given he came from Bama.

The Winovich stuff rings true. We've seen evidence that he's got a mouth e.g. getting into it with Bill on the sidelines, and its pretty obvious they don't trust him as more than a sub player. I had wondered whether they might trade him to a team that values the pass rush more than we do.
I remember when he was picked and read his numbers, he was big and Slooow. I thought the FO had some kind of inside info that he he was worth taking. But i guess not. hes just big and sloooow.

I remember when he was picked and read his numbers, he was big and Slooow. I thought the FO had some kind of inside info that he he was worth taking. But i guess not. hes just big and sloooow.
i remember from his film that he played mainly on the edge in bama, dropped also in coverage or inside sometimes but mostly the edge/DE role. I thought we would use him there as well, hopefully his playing time on ILB was a consequence of our lack at ILB Position. He has the frame to be the edge run stopping role. Huge arms which caused some PD's and I remember a play against the jets where he almost got an first down sack at this position

You have a bunch of good points here. Simon is bad, don't need to look at analysis, simple eye test is all that's needed.

Any contradictory voices should look up Adalius Thomas and Shawn Springs. Bill has a long history of jettisoning guys who don't buy in.

I like wino, feel better when he is on the field instead of Simon or the other DE
Simon looks like he is toast. There was quite a few times a RB or QB was trying to turn the corner and I thought Simon would have the angle and just couldn't get there. He played well in his role the last few years but this year he looked like he lost a step.

It amazes me that anyone could be so emotionally attached to a 5th round pick that it could still "kill them" a year later. It is a fecking 5th rounder.

It amazes me that anyone could be so emotionally attached to a 5th round pick that it could still "kill them" a year later. It is a fecking 5th rounder.
It’s a figure of speech get a grip. They traded up to draft a guy never even sniffed the roster. Maybe you’re content throwing away picks but that’s why we are where we are.

one solution....

draft better bill!!!! Stop drafting boy scouts with average athleticism and go after some elite playmakers!!!

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back