Bedard: Needs-Based Depth Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots needs-based depth chart - Extra Points - Boston.com

Great stuff from Bedard.

I love his roster breakdowns. Really takes it to the next level and simplifies how we look at the roster.

I think it's pretty much on the money. In a world where Wes Welker didn't exist, I would prioritize the X over the Z, but Wes needs to be our top priority.

Makes me feel like we're better off just keeping Lloyd at his price. That kind of WR production does not come as affordably as Lloyd unless its on a rookie deal.

Agreed on Lloyd he falls down and is a *****, an probably would only have 600-700 yards if Gronk and Hernandez were healthy, but he's a bargain and worth dealing with his "behavioral issus" given his salary.

Lets hope BB sees it differently than 4 WRs being more needed than a pass rusher.

Lets hope BB sees it differently than 4 WRs being more needed than a pass rusher.

To play devil's advocate, we have competent players to play the pass rushing positions (though there's certainly room to upgrade). Currently we have ONLY Lloyd as a wide receiver unless you count Ebert and Slater (who have shown nothing). So the position grouping at WR has more holes that need bodies to fill them.

Also, he lists only 2 WR's as needs over another DT, which could be argued is a pass rushing position.

How is it that safety is not a high priority?

Some of his "needs" seemed forced. For example, TE (#14) We have 3 locks (Gronk, Hernandez, and Ballard, plus 3 guys who will compete for the lone 4th slot. (Herman, Fells, and Hooman or someone else for the vet minimum) We have no need for another TE. We are in decent shape along the DL, except that EVERY team is always looking to upgrade their pass rush both on the inside and outside, so there will be additions, but I don't see them as specific "needs".

We clearly have "needs at WR and CB (assuming McCourty remains at S), and if Volmer isn't resigned we will have to add on the OL. Clearly resigning Talib, Welker, Volmer, Edelman, ,and Arrington will solve most of our immediate "needs" After that, IMHO, you wait even after the draft and look to find the seasoned vets you need to round out this roster like we did so successfully in 2011 where Waters, Carter, and Anderson were all brought in late.

IMHO there are going to be a number of guys who fit that role again this year. I think that we could pick up Andre Carter again as well as guys like Adrian Wilson. Guys who might not have the same athletic skills they once had but know "how to play the game". Guys who would be willing to come here to a great lockerroom, and a chance win a ring and be role players. Guys who won't make headlines when they are signed but will ultimately make this a better team. The fact is that except for the WR position, its safe to say that this team needs to "get older".

Patriots needs-based depth chart - Extra Points - Boston.com

Great stuff from Bedard.

I love his roster breakdowns. Really takes it to the next level and simplifies how we look at the roster.

I think it's pretty much on the money. In a world where Wes Welker didn't exist, I would prioritize the X over the Z, but Wes needs to be our top priority.

Makes me feel like we're better off just keeping Lloyd at his price. That kind of WR production does not come as affordably as Lloyd unless its on a rookie deal.

QB - Brady, Mallett, Kafka
RB - Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, Demps
3rd D RB - Vereen, Demps
FB - Develin
WRX - Lloyd, Slater, Holmes, Aiken
WRZ - Ebert
TE Flex - Hernandez, Fells
TE Y - Gronkowski, Ballard
LT - Solder, Zusevics
LG - Mankins, McDonald
C - Wendell, McDonald
RG - Connolly, McDonald
RT - Cannon, Zusevics

LDE/Jack LB - Ninkovich, Benard, Vega
LDE/DT - Deaderick, Armstead, Robertson
NT - Wilfork, Love, Fortson
RE - Jones, Francis, Cunningham, Bequette
WLB - Mayo, Fletcher
MLB - Spikes, Rivera
SLB - Hightower, Ninkovich
LCB - Dowling
RCB - Dennard, Williams
FS - McCourty, Gregory
SS - Wilson, Gregory, Ebner

When you look at how the players are actually used in our schemes on offense and defense and align them with their actual positions based on the end of the year the needs are not nearly as drastic as Bedards depth chart implies. WR and CB are the only real needs that need to be addressed asap. Other than that its filling in depth and maybe upgrading at the LDE/Jack LB position over Nink or upgrading DT if over Deaderick if you don't think Armstead can be a difference maker in 2013.

Vega is a puzzle piece as well what is he here for to add depth at SLB, WLB or add depth on the line? Don't know much about his coverage skills just know he played LB in Canada.

How is it that safety is not a high priority?

I had been talking about the need to draft a safety. Bedard said he'd look into it. He was apparently told that the team is comfortable with Wilson and Gregory.

I've been praying that's a smokescreen ever since.

I had been talking about the need to draft a safety. Bedard said he'd look into it. He was apparently told that the team is comfortable with Wilson and Gregory.

I think you have to give Wilson a chance being a 2nd round pick and not doing anything that would make you say he isn't capable during his rookie campaign. I think the draft day stipulation that he was such a reach causes people to assume negative opinions of him.

Gregory as a starter? :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe