PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bears TE Kellen Davis

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALP

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
We rely on the TE's in this offense a LOT, we should have backups to complement the starters, Ballard should serve decently as a Gronk but we need a speedy pass Cather to complement Ahern, so sign kellen, it really shouldn't cost very much, and he is quite good, as Pats fans should know

no thanks jeff

I think we'll see our concerns about the TE depth and talent addressed again this offseason, much like last year.

What about Hoomanawuialuinoui ? :confused:

Kellen Davis is so much more like Gronk than like Hernandez. In fact, I'd say that Davis is awfully close to having just as much physical talent as Gronk. He just doesn't use it and never will. The guy isn't good.

What about Hoomanawuialuinoui ? :confused:

hoo-man can be the #5 guy

I think that is certainly a possibility. There's probably at least a good chance that he will be in TC and competing for the 4 or 5 spot, but it's certainly not a given either.

I think he did some things well at times, but we really don't know Belichick's assessment of whether or not he did enough. I am finding it odd that so many are penciling him in for the spot already.

It was interesting that Daniel Fells, as much as a disappointment as he was, ended up being a much better blocker in the AFCCG loss vs Baltimore. Hooman was not very effective in that game at all. Belichick may also be looking for someone who can potentially make more catches too, so it would come down to Fells/Hooman/added competition for the primary blocking TE.

Psst, don't forget about Brad Herman.

Oh, OP, don't you get it. We said the exact same thing last year. How did signing Fells, Winslow, and the Hoo-man work out overall??

We have Jake Ballard coming back from the reserved list. Let's just have him as the backup/3rd TE and be good.

Seriously, let's spend more time loading up on DB's and WR's. Enough of this "7 TE formation" stuff.

Oh, OP, don't you get it. We said the exact same thing last year. How did signing Fells, Winslow, and the Hoo-man work out overall??

We have Jake Ballard coming back from the reserved list. Let's just have him as the backup/3rd TE and be good.

Seriously, let's spend more time loading up on DB's and WR's. Enough of this "7 TE formation" stuff.

Which is the whole premise of the thread really.

Even after all of those signings to improve the depth it still ultimately failed, and the lack of an adequate replacement to Gronk on any level really hurt us vs Baltimore.

I agree that we'll need to load up on both DB's and WR's (which also was done last year too in extreme measure, so that cancels out that theory), but I would expect Belichick to address all 3 positions just the same as he did last year. Hopefully this year works out better.

TE Kellen Davis

We rely on the TE's in this offense a LOT, we should have backups to complement the starters, Ballard should serve decently as a Gronk but we need a speedy pass Cather to complement Ahern, so sign kellen, it really shouldn't cost very much, and he is quite good, as Pats fans should know

I think we have Ballard coming in and that's something we should be happy with.. We can bring in a depth guy in season if an injury occurs

I think we have Ballard coming in and that's something we should be happy with.. We can bring in a depth guy in season if an injury occurs

I think we'll almost certainly have 4 TE's again, although no one can be sure until the roster is finalized.

I just think that in an offense where we have a base set of 2 TE's, you really need 4 total. I also wonder if he isn't even more motivated to finding 4 very solid TE's after Gronk/Hernandez missing significant time this season, along with the serious problems that no adequate depth brought along in the last 2 championship runs.

Another thing that many, many people are overvaluing is the prospect of Ballard himself. Last year we heard about the awesome potential of Schiancoe, about the awesome potential of Fells, and about the awesome potential of Winslow--etc. NONE of them worked out at all, and really all 3 barely even made any kind of the slightest impact whatsoever, even in the blocking game.

Ballard is a nice positive to have, but he's also coming off of a very serious injury and has zero experience in our system. We've had great plans for many other good TE's who have failed. I'm expecting a battle between Ballard, one of Fells/Hooman, and at least one or two others for the 3rd and 4th spots. I think Ballard should make it, but he's definitely not a lock to save our TE corps as many somehow see it. He has potential though.

I think we'll almost certainly have 4 TE's again, although no one can be sure until the roster is finalized.

I just think that in an offense where we have a base set of 2 TE's, you really need 4 total. I also wonder if he isn't even more motivated to finding 4 very solid TE's after Gronk/Hernandez missing significant time this season, along with the serious problems that no adequate depth brought along in the last 2 championship runs.

Another thing that many, many people are overvaluing is the prospect of Ballard himself. Last year we heard about the awesome potential of Schiancoe, about the awesome potential of Fells, and about the awesome potential of Winslow--etc. NONE of them worked out at all, and really all 3 barely even made any kind of the slightest impact whatsoever, even in the blocking game.

Ballard is a nice positive to have, but he's also coming off of a very serious injury and has zero experience in our system. We've had great plans for many other good TE's who have failed. I'm expecting a battle between Ballard, one of Fells/Hooman, and at least one or two others for the 3rd and 4th spots. I think Ballard should make it, but he's definitely not a lock to save our TE corps as many somehow see it. He has potential though.

exactly, we dont just need 4 TE's, we need 4 starting or almost starting caliber TE's

TE Kellen Davis

exactly, we dont just need 4 TE's, we need 4 starting or almost starting caliber TE's

There is a big difference between NFL starting TE's and Gronk/AH so I think it is wrong to assume that we need 2 behind them to just fill the gap if they're out.

There is a big difference between NFL starting TE's and Gronk/AH so I think it is wrong to assume that we need 2 behind them to just fill the gap if they're out.

I understand your thinking, but it seems as though Belichick may disagree. Fells, Schiancoe (also the only player to be designated for IR exemption last year proving his importance), and Winslow were all starting TE's on other teams, as was Ballard too.

In an offense where the 2/2/1 formation is our primary focus for majoirty of reps and we have 3 TE sets in big and goalline formations, Belichick has had 3 active TE's on the 46 active gameday roster more than ever before.

Our lack of adequate options behind Gronk/Hernandez was probably our biggest weakness this year on offense, and could even be seen as arguably a bigger weakness than the lack of an outside threat. I think that we'll have the obvious 2 in Gronk/Hernandez, but that Ballard and whomever gets the 4th slot could certainly be worthy of "starting" status on just about any team.

Maybe he takes a flier in the later rounds or through a vet roster cut for TE competition, but we should be deeper than last year at spots 1-4, with maybe even an additional guy on the practice squad too. If one of them goes down, we need to be able to block and produce effectively. It's an important position when you line up 2/2/1 and your TE's are #2 and #3 in pass receiving targets. We can't be totally screwed again if/when injury occurs.

Unless there's a Kellen Davis I'm not thinking of, this guy's a stiff.

Dont we have Hooman?

Dont we have Hooman?

He's a free agent on some level. I don't know, I want to say he's a restricted free agent but I'm not sure. To be honest I haven't cared enough to look.

We also have Fells of course, at least at the moment still.

I say let Ballard, Fells, Hooman, and about 2-3 other viable vets/prospects battle royale it out and let the winners go to the #3 and #4 spots.

Let's be realistic. Shiancoe was brought in to give a veteran presence. He got hurt in TC and was a non-factor during the season. He was a low risk/high reward potential signing.

Fells also was a non-factor because he was recovering from an injury. Personally, though it looked to be a good signing initially, they shouldn't have signed him if he was injured, which it turns out he was.

Hoomananui I don't expect will receive an RFA tender. Not at 1.323 Million. I don't believe he's worth that and I don't think the Pats feel he's worth it. I wouldn't be surprised if he was brought back on a vet min deal, but nothing more than that.

Ballard is a whole different story than Fells or Shiancoe. Ballard is young guy who isn't set in his ways. I honestly believe he's more likely to be able to adapt and for the Pats to tweak their offense to include him.

The only people who have had "great plans for other good TEs" are the fans. And even then, much of the expectation was overblown. As it was with Shiancoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back