PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BBs 1/1 presser

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlainOldEd

In the Starting Line-Up
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
They haven't posted the link yet, but he was a real Chatty Cathy today :eek:. Worth a view when the link comes out.

:D

Don't have time to watch it but for those who do:

Belichick 1/1: We have a lot to work on

From what I've read on Twitter, sounds like he had some thoughts on the kicking game — too many touchbacks, PATs too easy.

Enjoy. Summarize. Thanks.

Interesting stuff--I love it when BB talks about the history of the game. I never knew that there was a school of thought back in the thirties...forties where if you were inside your 10 yard line on first down, you punted the ball. The same if you were on your own twenty on second down and so on.

He also talked about the kicking game and how PATs are 99% successful and that wasn't how it was intended to be when that rule was put in. He didn't give any specifics about rule changes, including the large amount of touchbacks on kickoffs, but it was clear he thought those plays should have some more excitement put back into them.

Also had some interesting things to say about judging whether or not to run a kickoff out of the end zone not only based on how deep it is but also the hang time.

Worth watching.

Belichick can become really chatty at times, when the questions presented to him are about actual football related issues.

Unfortunately, we don't see these kinds of normal football questions regarding the game, the history, etc often enough, and I think that's why he tends to clam up a lot.

He's been a chatty cathy during the play offs a lot the last few years. I think he just enjoys this time of the football season and basks in it as much as possible knowing the season is almost over.

This is like normal operating procedure for Bill lately after the regular season is over

Love it when BB talks real football like this.. Some credit needs to go to Curran I believe, he asked to first couple questions and got it rolling in the right direction. Guarantee this doesn't happen if Douche bag Breer opens the questioning.

Love it when BB talks real football like this.. Some credit needs to go to Curran I believe, he asked to first couple questions and got it rolling in the right direction. Guarantee this doesn't happen if Douche bag Breer opens the questioning.

Totally agree. Most of the time, the media members are just looking for soundbites and quotes for their articles. They're not even listening to most of what is said, and on some level, I think BB purposely drags out some of his answers so they're not very quotable or workable for writers.

But if you have a serious football question, BB is incredible to listen to. It was cool listening about the evolution of the punting formation over the years.

Or when asked about Brady's play-action faking, he took it a step further and talked about how it's only one part, and how most defensive players take their cues from the OL and TEs so that's part of the fake, how they block and their pad levels and whatnot. And how there are different play action fakes depending on who you are trying to fool, whether it's a misdirection play or you're trying to freeze a linebacker or a safety, how that influences the type of fake, and he kept going on and on, it was really great.

Interesting stuff--I love it when BB talks about the history of the game. I never knew that there was a school of thought back in the thirties...forties where if you were inside your 10 yard line on first down, you punted the ball. The same if you were on your own twenty on second down and so on.

He also talked about the kicking game and how PATs are 99% successful and that wasn't how it was intended to be when that rule was put in. He didn't give any specifics about rule changes, including the large amount of touchbacks on kickoffs, but it was clear he thought those plays should have some more excitement put back into them.

Also had some interesting things to say about judging whether or not to run a kickoff out of the end zone not only based on how deep it is but also the hang time.

Worth watching.

Yeah, turnovers must have been much more common. Game probably played a lot more like rugby where you pretty much kick the ball out if you have a field position disadvantage.

Or when asked about Brady's play-action faking, he took it a step further and talked about how it's only one part, and how most defensive players take their cues from the OL and TEs so that's part of the fake, how they block and their pad levels and whatnot.

One of the "telestrator" analysts on NFL Network earlier this year showed a Patriots play action pass with run blocking on the line, including a pulling guard. Sold the run so well that Brady had time to complete a long pass downfield, presumably with the safety biting on the play action, too.

That's one of the reasons that I'm so happy the opposing coaches in the playoffs have to watch all that LaGarette Blount game film. They have to respect the run.

play action pass with run blocking on the line, including a pulling guard.

Yes, after that, I noticed them pulling Mankins on pass plays. I'm happy to have learned enough about the game to see things like that. I also pay attention to how the tackles line their feet up to guess if it's run vs pass, and see if they try to trick folks that way, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft