PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB on Brady playing when he's 50: If anyone can do it it's him

“I’m sure Tom would know better than anybody, so if anybody can do it it’s him,” Belichick said.

Sounds like a guy who at least regrets a little bit not keeping Brady when the window to do that was open. Wouldn't surprise me if he does. I know Shula's wins record means a lot to Bill and it should, and having the GOAT would have given him the best chance to break it. Now even as promising as Mac is, it's doubtful that will happen.

You said in another post that there was no way Brady IS playing until 50....which is it?

I don't think Bill sounds like he regrets it at all. I suppose we'll find out more next week. And you are assuming Brady would play at his current level had he stayed in NE. Little chance with the roster NE has.

Honestly I don't see it happening (50) for three reasons:

A) Family. At some point he likely wants to coach his kids and Giselle probably wants more of Tom to herself. There's more to life than winning a Super Bowl.

B) Odds. It doesn't matter how great of shape he's in. Eventually time waits for no one. Remember that Manning was an MVP level QB and suddenly he just started struggling.

C). Physicality/Injuries. He's not 31 anymore. An ACL tear likely ends his season and career. And I think will be enough for Giselle to tell him enough is enough. See "A".

I'm just guessing on this.

I have mercy on BB for letting Tom go. It is his biggest mistake - but I would have made it to and so would any other coach. QBs usually fall part around 40 - or even earlier. How was BB supposed to know?

Think of it like buying bitcoin. I could have bought some cheap - but I didn't. I didn't really understand bitcoin and its now going for like 50k each..
Was it a mistake to not buy it - sure. Was it a big mistake - sure. But can you destroy me for not buying it? I bet most here didn't either..

BB thought Tom would fall apart and fail in TB. Even if he could win - he was going to be like Peyton - washed up and just hanging on.. But he was damn good and still plays like 34 year old Tom..

So why not cut your losses and let him go? That was the thinking.. It was perfectly reasonable thinking - Tom is like a super human. The entire ESPN channel was dead wrong about him.

He has a deep all star team and an impenetrable offensive line around him. There are other veteran QBs who could do the same if they had that talented group surrounding him and they worked as hard to stay in shape.
Yeah that is why they didnt win a playoff game in 18 years...No other QB in NFL history has done it, but hey, anyone could.

To be fair he is throwing to

2x WR who have had 1500+ yard receiving seasons
1x WR who had a 1300+ yard receiving seasons
1x TE who had a 1300+ yard receiving season and record for most TDs by a TE

All of whom seem to be playing at a high level.

Honestly its beyond All-Star team. Has their ever been a better collection of offensive weapons in NFL history?:excited:
and that lead to losing seasons, no playoffs, and a fired coach....then something happened last year...now what was that again...

You said in another post that there was no way Brady IS playing until 50....which is it?

I don't think Bill sounds like he regrets it at all. I suppose we'll find out more next week. And you are assuming Brady would play at his current level had he stayed in NE. Little chance with the roster NE has.
I have seen worst rosters than the patriots have right now win the superbowl with Brady. 150 mil well spent.

I have seen worst rosters than the patriots have right now win the superbowl with Brady. 150 mil well spent.

What the Patriots have "right now" is largely irrelevant. What they would have, should they have kept Brady, is what's relevant.

Have you seen worse rosters than the 2019 & 2020 teams win Super Bowls with Brady? The man upstairs himself couldn't have carried the 2020 team to a Super Bowl whether or not Brady was on it; they lacked talent at every position except DB. Obviously this year's roster is considerably more talented.

What the Patriots have "right now" is largely irrelevant. What they would have, should they have kept Brady, is what's relevant.

Have you seen worse rosters than the 2019 & 2020 teams win Super Bowls with Brady? The man upstairs himself couldn't have carried the 2020 team to a Super Bowl whether or not Brady was on it; they lacked talent at every position except DB. Obviously this year's roster is considerably more talented.
I didnt say anything about what Brady could do or not do. But any teams that were created that was bad at every position was built by Bill. For a lot of years, the pats just threw anything out there at wideout, and Brady would try and make it work. Even with Moss, Moss was looked at as being done, nobody wanted him and they got him cheap and a 4th rounder and with Brady all of the sudden he was a superstar again. It will be hard to build that way again for a long time.

Bad move to let Brady go, though more apparent in hindsight. Belichick started his plan in 2014. He couldn't have know how much Brady still had in the tank nor did he realize how much of a piece he was in the Patriots dynasty.

Bad move to let Brady go, though more apparent in hindsight. Belichick started his plan in 2014. He couldn't have know how much Brady still had in the tank nor did he realize how much of a piece he was in the Patriots dynasty.
Yeah, someone else said he should not have let Brady go. By 2019, Brady was read to get the hell out of here. Coach that wanted to trade you, weapons that would not start on another team, offering you money that a 3rd stringer would get, and nothing past one year...Now, what lead up to that? Thats the question.

I have mercy on BB for letting Tom go. It is his biggest mistake - but I would have made it to and so would any other coach. QBs usually fall part around 40 - or even earlier. How was BB supposed to know?

Think of it like buying bitcoin. I could have bought some cheap - but I didn't. I didn't really understand bitcoin and its now going for like 50k each..
Was it a mistake to not buy it - sure. Was it a big mistake - sure. But can you destroy me for not buying it? I bet most here didn't either..

BB thought Tom would fall apart and fail in TB. Even if he could win - he was going to be like Peyton - washed up and just hanging on.. But he was damn good and still plays like 34 year old Tom..

So why not cut your losses and let him go? That was the thinking.. It was perfectly reasonable thinking - Tom is like a super human. The entire ESPN channel was dead wrong about him.

If he’d had a successor lined up, and if he didn’t use the cap space on other veterans who weren’t part of the future (Slater, McCourty, Thuney), and if he‘d started an actual rebuild by selling off veteran players, then sure. That’s not what he did. So, that’s why I can’t buy the argument that he had to move on because of Tom’s age. There was no internal or external pressure to do so other than his pointless risk:reward formula, which essentially made no sense unless he really thought Brady would suck.

Gronk wouldn’t play for him either, which I think is even more damning considering the joke of a TE overpay they were desperately forced into two years later after flailing around with practice squad players….all because Bill wouldn’t just guarantee Gronk market value (Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry making $25M now…lol) and wouldn’t give Gronk his own autonomy for fitness/rest/rehab.

Bill thought through superior coaching, execution, and dedication to The Patriot Way would win out. It didn’t.

Players > Coaches. Everything else is just emotional apologism.

I don't agree that Belichick thought some abstract "Patriot Way" would win out. One can assume that if they want, but this is also the same coach who says "players make plays, players win games" after every Super Bowl victory.

I also don't think Belichick approached the Brady situation as a binary, win-loss type of thing. He has his organizational principles and he stuck to those, but I highly doubt he was thinking, "yeah, we're likely to immediately be a better team without Brady", and, "I want to get rid of Brady so I can demonstrate that my personal role in our success is greater than Brady's" ... I mean, that's one assumption to make about Belichick's thought process, but it's not the one I'd end up on.

We as fans, speculating, get to source information from articles over the course of multiple years, consolidate that information, evaluate a sequence of events in hindsight, and finally craft an opinion based on that information. It's a good way to evaluate a historical event, but when you're in those present moments, it's basically impossible to apply that same analytical frame of mind, because hindsight isn't a thing and there is objectively less information available to process. Also, emotions matter - they're valid, and they inform cognitive processes. It's nearly impossible to uncouple emotions from cognition, hence why making these decisions in real-time is fundamentally different than analyzing them in hindsight.

I just don't get the venom and bad-faith assumptions. If one wants to argue that Belichick made a mistake (in this instance, and certainly others, too), sure. But the persona non grata vibes, I don't understand.

I don't agree that Belichick thought some abstract "Patriot Way" would win out. One can assume that if they want, but this is also the same coach who says "players make plays, players win games" after every Super Bowl victory.

I also don't think Belichick approached the Brady situation as a binary, win-loss type of thing. He has his organizational principles and he stuck to those, but I highly doubt he was thinking, "yeah, we're likely to immediately be a better team without Brady", and, "I want to get rid of Brady so I can demonstrate that my personal role in our success is greater than Brady's" ... I mean, that's one assumption to make about Belichick's thought process, but it's not the one I'd end up on.

We as fans, speculating, get to source information from articles over the course of multiple years, consolidate that information, evaluate a sequence of events in hindsight, and finally craft an opinion based on that information. It's a good way to evaluate a historical event, but when you're in those present moments, it's basically impossible to apply that same analytical frame of mind, because hindsight isn't a thing and there is objectively less information available to process. Also, emotions matter - they're valid, and they inform cognitive processes. It's nearly impossible to uncouple emotions from cognition, hence why making these decisions in real-time is fundamentally different than analyzing them in hindsight.

I just don't get the venom and bad-faith assumptions. If one wants to argue that Belichick made a mistake (in this instance, and certainly others, too), sure. But the persona non grata vibes, I don't understand.
Lord that was a good post. People....and media like drama and stories. This could have all come down to. Bill knew the team was going to have to rebuild, and frankly they had no money to give Brady and Brady wanted to keep playing, so he said hey what a challange it would be to go try out another team and in his 40's Brady probably did not want to go through another rebuild, so the split happened and that was it. The notion that Bill said in an evil voice, I want rid of Brady he is taking all my accolades...I will show the world I can win it all without him and he will fail if he leaves me....HA HA HA HA I will show them all!!! Yeah that probably didnt happen.

also don't think Belichick approached the Brady situation as a binary, win-loss type of thing. He has his organizational principles and he stuck to those, but I highly doubt he was thinking, "yeah, we're likely to immediately be a better team without Brady", and, "I want to get rid of Brady so I can demonstrate that my personal role in our success is greater than Brady's" ... I mean, that's one assumption to make about Belichick's thought process, but it's not the one I'd end up on.

If that’s how my post read, then maybe I didn’t articulate it well. The degree to which Belichick was willing to placate Brady and Gronkowski - whether through contracts, long-term commitment, practice flexibility, giving them latitude on how they approach their work schedule, willing to make an exception to the “better too early” mantra - were consistent with organization > individual player thinking. Sometimes doing so is not in the best interest of the team. Letting two Hall of Famers walk out the door, both thrilled to play for another coach, is simply not in the best interest of the team.

I think he’s going to play until 50 due to the rules on QB’s. If he does, he’ll have 10 rings easily.

Remember the days were QB’s looked geriatric at 35?

Could you point out specific instances where you see this? I don’t see any such references.

"I didnt say anything about what Brady could do or not do"
I don't believe I did either. You said, "I have seen worst rosters than the patriots have right now win the superbowl with Brady". My question was, "Have you seen worse rosters than the 2019 & 2020 teams win Super Bowls with Brady?". As far as I can tell, we're using essentially the same language/phrasing.

But any teams that were created that was bad at every position was built by Bill. For a lot of years, the pats just threw anything out there at wideout, and Brady would try and make it work.
The Patriots have appeared in 9 Super Bowls and won 6 of them from 2001 -> 2018. You don't reach that level of success by throwing out sh*t rosters every year, no matter how good your QB is.

Troy Brown, Welker, Moss, Gronk, AHern, Branch, LaFell, Edelman, Amendola, Kevin Faulk, James White ... and I'm sure I'm missing some other pass-catchers who contributed over the years. Brady had a lot of really good players to throw to during his time in New England, not to mention a top-5 offensive line in the vast majority of his seasons with the Patriots (which is equally as important as receiving targets). The personnel was considerably less talented in 2019/2020 (especially 2020, although not relevant to Brady at this point), but they've largely had a pretty talented group of 53 players over the past two decades.

Even with Moss, Moss was looked at as being done
Moss was not done in 2006/2007; he was still 4-5 years away from done. He is arguably the best receiver to ever play the game and the Patriots got 2-3 seasons from him during the latter part of his prime years.

It will be hard to build that way again for a long time.
It's hard to consistently win the NFL, period. If you have a really talented team, an exceptional QB, and a quality coaching staff (as the Patriots did for two decades), there's a good chance you'll win a lot of games, but it's still not easy. If you lack overall talent, have a bad QB, and/or poor coaching, life will be hard. You need all three (overall team talent, quarterback play, and coaching) to be good.

We know the Patriots have pretty good coaching. If Mac turns out to be competent and they are able to add a few cornerstones to the roster via the draft, I think they'll have a good chance to be consistently good for awhile longer, post-Brady (assuming Mac isn't abducted by aliens). If they're unable to integrate the new additions, don't draft well in the future, and/or Mac starts playing like crap, then they won't be very good.

We'll see.

Could you point out specific instances where you see this? I don’t see any such references.

Provide evidence in order to backup a claim??? on the internet????

The only "evidence" I need is a bigger knob to turn up the volume on my opinions even louder.

:evil:

All kidding aside, I'm probably confounding "critiquing Belichick's decision re: Brady" with "disliking Belichick", but I do think there are some folks who genuinely resent Belichick and feel he's not good at his job, which I think is a little ridiculous.

If that’s how my post read, then maybe I didn’t articulate it well. The degree to which Belichick was willing to placate Brady and Gronkowski - whether through contracts, long-term commitment, practice flexibility, giving them latitude on how they approach their work schedule, willing to make an exception to the “better too early” mantra - were consistent with organization > individual player thinking. Sometimes doing so is not in the best interest of the team. Letting two Hall of Famers walk out the door, both thrilled to play for another coach, is simply not in the best interest of the team.

Fair enough, and this is where I come back to the value of hindsight: We're able to sit here and evaluate the sequence of events from whenever they start until now, and then say it would've made sense to do 'x, y, and z' to avoid 'a, b, and c'.

Would adapting the organization > player thinking in 2017/2018, to avoid Brady/Gronk leaving in 2020, have been wise? Probably, depending on extent.

"Letting two Hall of Famers walk out the door, both thrilled to play for another coach, is simply not in the best interest of the team."

In this case, yes, it doesn't appear to have been best for the team, but that principle alone isn't always valid. The devil is in the details. How well are they still playing? For how much longer will they continue to play well? What are the alternatives should we let said player go? How much would they cost to retain?

Using those criteria, it didn't make sense to let Brady go, but it was a lot murkier with Gronk. We're now able to know that Gronk's drop-off stems more from a lack of rest and nicks/dings rather than permanently breaking-down, but I wouldn't have called someone unreasonable if they said Gronk was shot after the 2018 season.

I also don't think that players need to be "thrilled" about playing for their coach; there's a fine line, obviously, with Arians being on one side of the spectrum and Belichick on the other in terms of how close they let themselves get with their players.

Brady and Gronk wanted a change, Arians is a unique guy, and they've hit it off (in no small part due to their on-field success). That shouldn't be an indication that Arians' approach is better than Belichick's or vice-versa; they're different. I could see the inverse, where Brady spends the first 10 years of his career with someone like Arians, and then moves on to play for someone like Belichick and is rejuvenated, refreshed, and excited because he's playing for someone who appreciates attention to detail, hard-work, and winning, a culture that would really resonate with Brady had he been in a different environment for the first part of his career.

That's not to say Belichick can't learn/improve personnel management going forward, and it's also not to say there isn't some value in Arians' approach, but I do think some of this comes down to change and a new environment (after spending 20 years in the same place, under the same coach) leading to a bump in morale.

Because he didn't want to be here anymore
That's just not accurate. Brady wanted to stay. Brady wanted a multi-year contract. Bill wouldn't give him one. Brady didn't want to stay going on annual contracts knowing how cut throat Bill was, so he asked in return for team not to apply franchise tag and allow him to become a FA.

There was a majority of posters that agreed with Bill:
"Why should they take risk on an old QB that may fall off a cliff."
"Bill always says, better a year early than a year late."

And more utter nonsense as if Brady was a JAG.

Truth is, Bill was dead wrong. All the posters that sided with Bill and had no problem chasing Brady out of town were dead wrong. The reckoning is coming on Sunday, October 3rd and as a Pats fan that didn't want to see him leave, it's going to suuuck.

Please spare me any cap arguments: see TB Bucs 2021.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back