PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB on BBolden: when you need him . its a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Id guess Brandon Bolden is not fans favourite . unless you count being perennial favourite to not make the team.

Yet he contributed in all 17 games this season . mostly on ST of course . but he did well when his number was called as a backup RB.

Here im stealing a paragraph from @mainman's post in weekly practice news thread:
It's maybe worth noting that Bolden has played 45 end-of-game snaps over the past three contests, and contributed a 7-yd catch and 15 carries for 93 yds (6.2 ypa), plus seven 1st-downs and a TD. "Garbage time" stuff, it's true. But it did help kill the clock without using Lewis. That could come in handy.

The interesting thing is it was not all garbage time but also some short yardage situations mid game with B-Rex and Gilly out. With Burkhead returning his opportunities to contribute on offense are slimmer esp. since B-Rex is short yd back as well but w Gilly out and Rex not at 100% I wouldn't be surprised if his number is called in a few “LGB“ situations. It is not so much about his TD vs TEN (he had a walk in the park there really - see below vid) but some solid short yd runs that could be on the menu plenty vs JAX.

Lets add this unlikely playoff stat:
Henry --- 12 for 28 (2.3 ypa) - 0TD
Bolden -- 4 for 27 (6.8 ypa) - 1TD
(btw: TEN front 7 was considered far better than NE by everybody before the game)

In any case this season showed (again) the value of a player most fans don't like (to have on the roster) or don't care about. BB spent a few minutes talking about Bolden the other day and he (of course) summed it up perfectly:

“Until you need him it doesn't seem like that much, then when you need him its a lot.“

____

Here a nice look at his TD (and amazing OL&co job). Yes its garbage time, but Jags better be ready for running/blocking extravaganzas on Sunday:

+ a couple more from TEN game

Mid-game 3&1 conversion in RZ:

garbage time but still counts:

He is the quintessential BB depth player. Core role on ST, additional layer of emergency depth as RB and can even somewhat catch the ball.

Nothing about him is special but everything is solid.

He's fine as the 10th RB that never sees the field.

His value is in his ST play. That alone is worth keeping him here.

While I admit I generally don't like to see him out there on O outside of garbage time (because that means you're depleted), he is a great emergency guy. ST's is where he makes his bones and he's great at it. He hasn't quite been the game changer he was in 2014 in that area, and I think that may have something to do with nagging injuries, but he's still very valuable out there. Many had him missing the 53 this TC. I'm glad he's around. Guys like him put your team over the top. You need those "no glory" role players who are willing to do the less glamorous things to help the team win.

Nothing about him is special but everything is solid.
And that's actually pretty special.
He's fine as the 10th RB that never sees the field.

His value is in his ST play. That alone is worth keeping him here.
Looking at his raw stats as RB he's actually not too shabby. He's just so much better on STs. I wondered if BB is showcasing him a little as RB to position him for his next contract negotiation. IIRC he's going to be FA after this season right?

And that's actually pretty special.

Looking at his raw stats as RB he's actually not too shabby. He's just so much better on STs. I wondered if BB is showcasing him a little as RB to position him for his next contract negotiation. IIRC he's going to be FA after this season right?

He is a FA. He also cleared waivers after the preseason. If anyone actually wanted him, that was the indicator, in my mind.

In other words, he re-signs here, or nowhere, and if he does sign elsewhere, he'll be cut before the end of the season.

He is a FA. He also cleared waivers after the preseason. If anyone actually wanted him, that was the indicator, in my mind.

In other words, he re-signs here, or nowhere, and if he does sign elsewhere, he'll be cut before the end of the season.

Not with Patricia and McDaniels out there running rosters.

Id guess Brandon Bolden is not fans favourite . unless you count being perennial favourite to not make the team.

Yet he contributed in all 17 games this season . mostly on ST of course . but he did well when his number was called as a backup RB.

Here im stealing a paragraph from @mainman's post in weekly practice news thread:
It's maybe worth noting that Bolden has played 45 end-of-game snaps over the past three contests, and contributed a 7-yd catch and 15 carries for 93 yds (6.2 ypa), plus seven 1st-downs and a TD. "Garbage time" stuff, it's true. But it did help kill the clock without using Lewis. That could come in handy.

The interesting thing is it was not all garbage time but also some short yardage situations mid game with B-Rex and Gilly out. With Burkhead returning his opportunities to contribute on offense are slimmer esp. since B-Rex is short yd back as well but w Gilly out and Rex not at 100% I wouldn't be surprised if his number is called in a few “LGB“ situations. It is not so much about his TD vs TEN (he had a walk in the park there really - see below vid) but some solid short yd runs that could be on the menu plenty vs JAX.

Lets add this unlikely playoff stat:
Henry --- 12 for 28 (2.3 ypa) - 0TD
Bolden -- 4 for 27 (6.8 ypa) - 1TD
(btw: TEN front 7 was considered far better than NE by everybody before the game)

In any case this season showed (again) the value of a player most fans don't like (to have on the roster) or don't care about. BB spent a few minutes talking about Bolden the other day and he (of course) summed it up perfectly:

“Until you need him it doesn't seem like that much, then when you need him its a lot.“

____

Here a nice look at his TD (and amazing OL&co job). Yes its garbage time, but Jags better be ready for running/blocking extravaganzas on Sunday:

+ a couple more from TEN game

Mid-game 3&1 conversion in RZ:

garbage time but still counts:

Kudos to both Bolden & the OL for their IMMACULATE blocking on those plays.

Here a few more “non garbage time“ Bolden plays from Jetes game

and lets add that monster rush in 4th Q . garbage time for most . not for BB (the hoodie I mean). BTW this clip has a perfect code name: LonelySingleBison

Here a few more “non garbage time“ Bolden plays from Jetes game

and lets add that monster rush in 4th Q . garbage time for most . not for BB (the hoodie I mean). BTW this clip has a perfect code name: LonelySingleBison

Very nice! Especially like that last one, good run!

Why are people so down on this guy? Everytime he plays, he does it well.

Why are people so down on this guy? Everytime he plays, he does it well.
Probably some of the same folks who wanted Carr over Amendola going into the year.

Amazing how many didn’t include him on their 53 man rosters, even if it was as a ST player.

I’m guessing that he stays, like you said, but I’d also have to imagine that he’d be able to find another ST role with any number of teams. I think the secret is out at this point. He’s been a dominant ST player for years.

Also, it was always widely believed that he was returning after the initial round of cuts. His locker remained intact and it’s likely that they had a mutual understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back