PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ball never touched the ground

One last thing before this thread fades away... for those of you claiming that the catch was overturned because the ball hit the ground, look again at Walt Anderson, the head of officiating's remarks. He said:

“Because as he’s going to the ground, he has to maintain control of the ball upon contacting the ground,” Anderson said. “The term that’s commonly used is ‘surviving the ground.’ A lot of people refer to that. So, as he’s going to the ground, he has the elements of two feet and control, but because he’s going to the ground, he has to maintain control of the ball when he does go to the ground.”

Does anyone see any reference to the ball touching the ground? That's because he didn't say that. He did say that "he has the elements of two feet and control," which means he caught it. The rest of his statement is basically him saying the slight bobble as he transferred the ball to his chest was the sole reason for ruling that incomplete. So they applied a 2017 rule to a 2022 play.

BTW, because he doesn't say that it hit the ground, in any season, that's a catch with, at worst, possession on the 6 inch yard line. Their ruling of an incomplete pass seems to be applying some sort of going out of bounds rule in the middle of the field. If the ball never touched the ground, he eventually had it in his hands at the 6 inch yard line. Unless they're now saying bobbles at the goal line aren't catches?
Agreed said this exact thing in a different thread! If ball never touches ground, a bobble is irrelevant. Would be the same as a a player who lands on his back and the ball moves. It should only matter if that happened while going out of bounds

Cousins didn't look real good to me... Don't know if he even had a comeback in him that night...

Jabrill Peppers was TACKLED FROM BEHIND just a few yards apart from Dugger... Look at the live broadcast again if you're able to find it... It's more egregious than the hold on Dugg itself, which should've been a Standard Operating Procedure penalty in the first place.
Watch the Henry catch again and look at Bourne prior to the throw, Vikings DB holds so bad his shirt is stretched 3 feet long.

Attachments

• 6413AFA7-49D8-467B-A0DB-22894A9BFFB6.jpeg
    6413AFA7-49D8-467B-A0DB-22894A9BFFB6.jpeg
    810.6 KB · Views: 3
Look at where the laces start right to left... you can't see the ball touching the ground there?
No. That's why there's a shadow under it.

Watch the Henry catch again and look at Bourne prior to the throw, Vikings DB holds so bad his shirt is stretched 3 feet long.

Yep, I mentioned this very moment in another (PostGame?) thread... If Alex Kemp's (#55 in your program, not #5 as I had originally wrote) criminally incompetent crew - as well as the suits & skirts on Park Avenue - had been honest & competent, then Bill would've been given the option to accept either 4th/Goal inside the 1/2-yard line, or 1st/Goal inside the 5...

Horrible, game-deciding officiating that night, just as I had feared... Absolutely ****ing Horrible. And if there are zero repercussions from it, then we'll know that the league's in the bag with the Haters (as if we already didn't know that anyway).

The ball did touch the ground:

View attachment 47784

But I question whether the ball actually bobbled. Yes, the ball does move, but I don't see him actually losing possession of the ball. It spins, but Henry never actually loses control of the ball.

When I look at the pellets pop up in the video they only move where his hand was, not where the ball allegedly touched the ground.

The picture and video aren't conclusive to me that the ball touched the ground vs. the ball still being 1-2 millimeters above it while his hand still remains under the ball to the half-way, widest point of the ball.

When I look at the pellets pop up in the video they only move where his hand was, not where the ball allegedly touched the ground.

The picture and video aren't conclusive to me that the ball touched the ground vs. the ball still being 1-2 millimeters above it while his hand still remains under the ball to the half-way, widest point of the ball.
The best was there were a bunch of “Twitter experts” who claimed you could see the chalk on the ball etc. I couldn’t resist to inform them that they haven’t used chalk in the fields in most people’s lifetime

It was a good catch/ bad ruling. Sh.t happens,

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back