PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Baker Mayfield to be waived... edit: The RAMS claimed him

This year. Geno Smith.
Geno Smith was drafted in the 39th position. Jim Plunkett, drafted number one in the first round by the Patriots in 1971, might be the only quarterback in Mayfield's situation who had a successful comeback.

Most hilarious part is « Rams could get a compensatory pick ». That team hates draft picks. Unless they can trade them away. And I don’t think teams’ll be clamouring for an end-of-the-6th rounder…

Most hilarious part is « Rams could get a compensatory pick ». That team hates draft picks. Unless they can trade them away. And I don’t think teams’ll be clamouring for an end-of-the-6th rounder…
They may have an adjusted philosophy after this season. The roster needs a reset.

Geno Smith was drafted in the 39th position. Jim Plunkett, drafted number one in the first round by the Patriots in 1971, might be the only quarterback in Mayfield's situation who had a successful comeback.

Somehow lost in this is Mayfield had his team in the Divisional Round with an actual playoff win in 2020. They were 11-5 on the season. How does that remotely compare with Plunkett?

Jimmy probably won’t make it back for meaningful games, but that’s good news for his free agency visits. Should have no trouble passing physicals.

steve young perhaps?

Suddenly makes Rams an interesting watch. It's almost insane to expect a guy to play QB with 1.5 days on a new team.
But, could be fun.

Somehow lost in this is Mayfield had his team in the Divisional Round with an actual playoff win in 2020. They were 11-5 on the season. How does that remotely compare with Plunkett?
I thought the main point of the comment was that the first pick overall has ultimately failed and that he has been let go by two teams, not that he has had no success prior to his flameout. Heck, to us old timers, Plunkett's rookie year 6-8 record was great after the atrocious, worst in the league 2-12 season in 1970. He did this despite taking a beating behind an offensive line that is similar to the crew we have this year.

Jimmy probably won’t make it back for meaningful games, but that’s good news for his free agency visits. Should have no trouble passing physicals.
Reports say he'll be back 7-8 weeks, just in time for the playoffs

Heck, to us old timers, Plunkett's rookie year 6-8 record was great after the atrocious, worst in the league 2-12 season in 1970. He did this despite taking a beating behind an offensive line that is similar to the crew we have this year.
Absolutely. 1971 gave hope... Pats knocked the Colts out of the playoffs on the final game of the season. 1972-3 went backwards... then the Pats added Hannah and Gray, and the 1974 team went 6-1 until injuries hit almost everywhere. I think Plunkett gets a bad rap for the early part of his career.

Mayfield reminds me of Heineke. Both undersized guys (6'1"), a little unorthodox, but with a lot of guts and fire - that can inspire a team and overachieve when surrounded by the right situation.
You'd love them to be your QB at times, but do you trust them for a full season, or 5+ years of steady play?

Mayfield reminds me of Heineke. Both undersized guys (6'1"), a little unorthodox, but with a lot of guts and fire - that can inspire a team and overachieve when surrounded by the right situation.
You'd love them to be your QB at times, but do you trust them for a full season, or 5+ years of steady play?

I think the talent difference is huge. In fact, Heineke seems like a guy who gets it, and gets the maximum out of his talent.

I believe Mayfield is a baby, amongst other personality/character flaws that cause problems around him. He's a prima donna who doesn't have enough talent for others to go to war when times are tough, and isn't good enough to overcome it. Mayfield has the fire on the field, but I wonder if he works hard like the great ones do off.

I think Heineke is completely all in. In my mind, they're almost opposites.

Shrewd move.

If i'm reading Stafford's contract/cap # correctly it looks like the Lambs can wash their hands of him after the 2023 season and the dead cap hit be minimal.

He'll be 35 in Feb so he's getting up there.

This year. Geno Smith.
He's a 2nd round pick, #39 overall. So he's not exactly a #1. However he did have to overcome the cesspool stink of being a former Jets pick. And making the turnaround at age 32. Well that's a long time coming. But good for him, I guess.

I have huge doubts Baker Mayfield will become even a good NFL starter at this point in his career.

Interesting move by the Rams. It would make some sense if they were still in contention. I guess Mayfield is better than John Wolford so the Rams have made it tougher for their opponents who still have something to play for. The Lions have the Rams 1st round pick so I guess tanking doesn't do much for them now. I like the move because it kept Mayfield away from the 49ers who are so good otherwise that even a relative stiff like Mayfield could win there.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back