PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Atonio Mafi - Round 5 - 144th overall

Mafi has incredibly bad weight issues. He didn’t get to 400+ lbs from training and working out. This girth was built on eating garbage and laziness. This doesn’t scream 53 man roster to me.

To be fair to him, I doubt he was ever on an exercise and diet plan before UCLA. While his weight fluctuated at UCLA, according to reports he was able to shed weight when needed at the start of the season. If he has a professional nutritionist and trainer working with him, he be consistent…

To be fair to him, I doubt he was ever on an exercise and diet plan before UCLA. While his weight fluctuated at UCLA, according to reports he was able to shed weight when needed at the start of the season. If he has a professional nutritionist and trainer working with him, he be consistent…
Yeah...you might be right.

"His favorite fast-food meal consisting of five beef patties with cheese plus a double order of fries and a shake added up to 3,240 calories and 177 grams of fat, according to nutritional information provided by In-N-Out and FatSecret. That’s more than 150% of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s recommended calorie intake for one day."

"Similarly fattening spreads were scarfed down at home, Mafi relishing every bite of his mom’s Lu Pulu, with its savory beef or lamb wrapped in taro leaves and other Tongan delicacies. Staying true to his Polynesian heritage, Mafi liked to drown everything in mayonnaise, once even trying it on pizza."

"When Mafi crammed into the device resembling a giant egg that players call the “bod pod,” it revealed another disturbing number — 40% body fat."

Yeah...you might be right.

"His favorite fast-food meal consisting of five beef patties with cheese plus a double order of fries and a shake added up to 3,240 calories and 177 grams of fat, according to nutritional information provided by In-N-Out and FatSecret. That’s more than 150% of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s recommended calorie intake for one day."

"Similarly fattening spreads were scarfed down at home, Mafi relishing every bite of his mom’s Lu Pulu, with its savory beef or lamb wrapped in taro leaves and other Tongan delicacies. Staying true to his Polynesian heritage, Mafi liked to drown everything in mayonnaise, once even trying it on pizza."

"When Mafi crammed into the device resembling a giant egg that players call the “bod pod,” it revealed another disturbing number — 40% body fat."

Fat shaming the Tongan people may be hate speech :cool:

Mafi has incredibly bad weight issues. He didn’t get to 400+ lbs from training and working out. This girth was built on eating garbage and laziness. This doesn’t scream 53 man roster to me.
You may be most certainly on the mark here, but I can dream of Grand Canyon sized holes for Rham and others to breeze through. He is an enormous payload.

It’s encouraging that Mafi dropped 9 more pounds between the Shrine Bowl weigh in and his pro day. There were guys gaining 10 pounds between the combine (which Mafi wasn’t invited to) and their pro days, but Mafi kept heading in the right direction.

If this is the Mafi we get…then I’m on board. I have doubts about conditioning.

1683593317804.jpeg

Mafi is an inexperienced LG who is strictly a power gap player. He has extreme power but next to no lateral movement abilities.

The previous draft we filled the same position with a guy with decent power but in need of more but with extreme athleticism to do outside zone.

These two players are truly yin and yang in how they can be utilized.

One could ask about the overall strategy in this.

Don’t get me wrong. I like both players. Especially Mafi where we got him. This is how one acquires guards.

Last edited:
Mafi is an inexperienced LG who is strictly a power gap player. He has extreme power but next to no lateral movement abilities.

The previous draft we fill the same position with a guy with decent power but in need of more but with extreme athleticism to do outside zone.

These two players are truly yin and yang in how they can be utilized.

One could ask about the overall strategy in this.

Don’t get me wrong. I like both players. Especially Mafi where we got him. This is how one acquires guards.

I think we use a power guy at right guard, Mason and Onwenu for example, and a more mobile player at left guard. Not sure why but it has been discussed if I remember correctly.

I still haven’t forgotten about Chasen Hines, last year’s draft pick at RG.

Did you actually READ the article you posted? He flat out says that he didn't count calories prior to getting to UCLA. But, he started then when he weighed in at 411, recognizing that he'd gained 25lbs in the months prior due to an Achilles Tendon injury. He lost 21 lbs before his first UCLA game in 2018. By the start of the 2019 season, he was down to 357. He plateaued there in 2020. Yes, he put back on 20 lbs going up to 377, but then he got help prior to his senior season, dropping down to 339 prior to the start of 2022. And he's since dropped to 324 at the combine.

From YOUR article:

"Navigating the world-class buffet spread inside the team’s practice facility meant mastering a new kind of playbook. Mafi loaded up on salads, and if he added any croutons then he’d have to skip the carb of the day whether it’s rice, potatoes or bread. His plate was also invariably piled high with whatever protein was available, be it fish, chicken or beef. Harder practices meant he could indulge in slightly larger portions.

The goal was to consume 3,500 to 4,000 calories per day. Mafi sent photos of meals to Shumway for feedback and tracked everything he ate on Notemeal, a nutrition app that also provided a suggested blueprint for the kinds of things he should eat.

Coaches would arrive at the practice facility in the morning to see Mafi already churning away on the elliptical machine or the stationary bike, having gotten there as early as 6:20 a.m. Putting on headphones to settle in for an episode of “Criminal Minds” on his iPhone, Mafi knew that as soon as the show was over his workout was done.."

Probably the most TELLING line of the article you posted:
"No one’s happier than the player who’s a fraction of the man he used to be, Mafi no longer needing to commandeer the front seat whenever he hops in a car with teammates.:

The kid has learned and changed his eating habits. That screams accountability and a shot at the 53-man roster.

Did you actually READ the article you posted? He flat out says that he didn't count calories prior to getting to UCLA.
Yes that is the reason for my concern...incappable of understanding how calories play a part in being a fat slob. It's entirely the purpose of my post.

...I like both players. Especially Mafi where we got him. This is how one acquires guards.

What IN THE WORLD are you taking about? I wouldn't have taken this blob with the THREE-hundredth & 44th pick. 144 was MASSIVE over-pay, especially when considering who else was available there.

What IN THE WORLD are you taking about? I wouldn't have taken this blob with the THREE-hundredth & 44th pick. 144 was MASSIVE over-pay, especially when considering who else was available there.

Back in the day you said the same thing about Onwenu. The Pats are good at picking OL, so we should probably wait and see before the Onwenu negative comments are rehashed with a new draft pick.

Yes that is the reason for my concern...incappable of understanding how calories play a part in being a fat slob. It's entirely the purpose of my post.

You clearly didn't read the article because, if you'd had, you wouldn't have this concern. He's completely changed his understanding of how calories play a part in his weight. It's ALL there in the article. That's how he got from 411 to 324.

I quoted parts that you clearly ignored.

Do better.

Dayum! We might see Dante come to practice to watch. Some of our prissy D linemen like Godchualk about to be hammered into next week.

Maybe Bill Murray will turn into the Joker.

Or is he on offense now?

Did you really call Godchaux "prissy"?

Not the word I'd use.

Wait a minute, weren't you clamoring for Dawand Jones, who showed no discipline with his weight when his draft location ($$$$$$) was on the line?

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back