PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asterisk next to Pats' record removed from Jaguars' Web site

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was out of respect. Vic (our senior writer) took it off because the media has turned it into something competitive and degrading. If any NFL fan, along with ESPN (which by the way has turned into a GOSSIP show lately,) had an inkling of sarcastic humor they might get it. Until then, go with the cold hard facts.

Vic (our senior writer) took it off because the media has turned it into something competitive and degrading.

"Blame the media". Geez, never heard that one before. The guy responsible for putting the asterisk there all season is also responsible for the way it is perceived. Maybe it's "sarcastic humor" to the good people of Jacksonville but I assure you that it has not been viewed similarly by Tedy Bruschi, Junior Seau, Rodney Harrison and the other proud veteran leaders on this team. So when Taylor and Jones-Drew take an extra shot at the bottom of the pile tomorrow, your "senior writer" can take some of the credit.

"Blame the media". Geez, never heard that one before. The guy responsible for putting the asterisk there all season is also responsible for the way it is perceived. Maybe it's "sarcastic humor" to the good people of Jacksonville but I assure you that it has not been viewed similarly by Tedy Bruschi, Junior Seau, Rodney Harrison and the other proud veteran leaders on this team. So when Taylor and Jones-Drew take an extra shot at the bottom of the pile tomorrow, your "senior writer" can take some of the credit.

Two things worthy of note... First, are you seriously endorsing and cheaply and foul played football game? I was hoping fans like you were few and far between. As much dirt as I could possibly hear I would never wish injury or dirty play upon an opponent. Secondly, I highly doubt (and pitty you for thinking so) that vets (or any player for that matter) is deriving some incredible amount of hate and inspiration from this bull**** excuse for bulletin board material.

A joke got blown out of proportion and sure, Vic is responsible for the way it was received, but thats why he took it off. Try thinking before you type.

Couldn't help thinking about this:
"7. Invite the run—See if the Patriots are even willing to try."

Why on Earth wouldn't we be willing to try the run ? It's not as if we haven't had an established run game all season long...

I think he was noting the fact that we need to do everything we can to keep the ball out of the air. We focus on running and stopping the run. Long drives, LOS bumps, inviting the run, its more of a game plan to keep the ball on the ground. I don't think he meant it as a taunt.

I highly doubt (and pitty you for thinking so) that vets (or any player for that matter) is deriving some incredible amount of hate and inspiration from this bull**** excuse for bulletin board material.

The Jaguars official team website mocks the Patriots accomplishments this season with an asterisk and you "highly doubt" that a veteran is deriving inspiration from this? Are you serious? Did you even see the Pats-Steelers game when a nobody like Anthony Smith merely guaranteed a victory. The Pats threw at him all night and Brady was in his face after each TD. So thanks for your holier than though pity but it's not tennis, it's football. It's as highly charged as any sport and players take great motivation from slights and disrespect. And BTW. I'm trying to imagine looking at Patriots.com to see who leads the AFC in quarterback sacks and seeing Shawn Merriman's name with an asterisk next to it denoting "suspended 4 games for steroid use". "Sarcastic humor" as you try to defend it? I don't think so. It wouldn't happen because it would be classless and beneath what I would expect from the Patriots official website. Apparently the same standards don't apply to the Jaguars official website.

Now I can sleep in peace . . .

The Jaguars official team website mocks the Patriots accomplishments this season with an asterisk and you "highly doubt" that a veteran is deriving inspiration from this? Are you serious? Did you even see the Pats-Steelers game when a nobody like Anthony Smith merely guaranteed a victory. The Pats threw at him all night and Brady was in his face after each TD. So thanks for your holier than though pity but it's not tennis, it's football. It's as highly charged as any sport and players take great motivation from slights and disrespect. And BTW. I'm trying to imagine looking at Patriots.com to see who leads the AFC in quarterback sacks and seeing Shawn Merriman's name with an asterisk next to it denoting "suspended 4 games for steroid use". "Sarcastic humor" as you try to defend it? I don't think so. It wouldn't happen because it would be classless and beneath what I would expect from the Patriots official website. Apparently the same standards don't apply to the Jaguars official website.

Well you can jump off the no-class train because it just has nothing to do with it. Id pay money that says your a Bonds (a disgrace to the sport) fan. If you really wan to talk about class lets talk about cheating and lack of class those actions take. So who's Brady gonna throw at tomorrow? Who's Bruschi gonna hit? Vic? If you haven't heard much of the nation feels just the same way about SpyGate. Wanna take it out on them too? You're right, it's football, and were gonna keep it just that. It blows me away how we all love to spotlight all this "disrespect" from Jaguar Nation down here when it has all been there ALL YEAR. Maybe if you actually read any of the material on Jaguars.com you might, and thats a big might cause it seems you have a pretty thick skull over there, realize that the Jacksonville Jaguars franchise has MASS amounts of respect for the Pats ball club. Read ANY article on Jaguars.com that even mentions the Pats and you'd be hard pressed not to find some good old fashioned R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Well you can jump off the no-class train because it just has nothing to do with it. Id pay money that says your a Bonds (a disgrace to the sport) fan. If you really wan to talk about class lets talk about cheating and lack of class those actions take. So who's Brady gonna throw at tomorrow? Who's Bruschi gonna hit? Vic? If you haven't heard much of the nation feels just the same way about SpyGate. Wanna take it out on them too? You're right, it's football, and were gonna keep it just that. It blows me away how we all love to spotlight all this "disrespect" from Jaguar Nation down here when it has all been there ALL YEAR. Maybe if you actually read any of the material on Jaguars.com you might, and thats a big might cause it seems you have a pretty thick skull over there, realize that the Jacksonville Jaguars franchise has MASS amounts of respect for the Pats ball club. Read ANY article on Jaguars.com that even mentions the Pats and you'd be hard pressed not to find some good old fashioned R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Why would Patriots fans have been looking at the Jaguars site during the season? Furthermore, do you honestly think that having the asterisk there all season makes it less of a bulletin board item than if it was just put there for, say, one week? How is it that you people who follow sports have so little understanding of them?

Players and coaches use bad press and idiot commentary from opposing players as motivation. Patriots players will know of this, and they'll use it whenever they feel like taking a play off or easing up on a hit. The Patriots are the most physical team in the NFL, and they'll be sure to give a 'thanks for the joke' response to the Jaguars during the game.

How is it that this has anything to do with understand the game?

Thank you for showing that you're a prime example of what I'm talking about.

Two things worthy of note... First, are you seriously endorsing and cheaply and foul played football game? I was hoping fans like you were few and far between. As much dirt as I could possibly hear I would never wish injury or dirty play upon an opponent. Secondly, I highly doubt (and pitty you for thinking so) that vets (or any player for that matter) is deriving some incredible amount of hate and inspiration from this bull**** excuse for bulletin board material.

A joke got blown out of proportion and sure, Vic is responsible for the way it was received, but thats why he took it off. Try thinking before you type.

obviously, you don't watch espn very much because those low life scum bags have been calling for someone to injure brady almost all year and those are supposedly professional journalists. most pats fans i talk to have very little respect for espn.

I've been reading Vic Ketchman for the past two years and, actually, see him as one of the most perceptive football analysts anywhere. He does a GREAT job breaking down games and is to the point.

That being said, everyone makes mistakes, and the asterisk (especially considering it is an OFFICIAL team site) is a huge misstep. Forget the whole "disrespect" thing - - Kraft now has a legitimate intra-league beef with the Jacksonville Jaguars owner.

That is the crux of the issue. Jacksonville is financially in trouble as a franchise. They don't sell out and they are in the bottom tier of fiscal health. At some point (if not already) they may come hat in hand to the league for some help (i.e. SB 39?) and will need the goodwill of a Bob Kraft, among others.

too late...

I had some respect for you until this post.

"Cheating"???? Bonds? Those connote subterfuge, breaking a rule under cover of secrecy.

The Patriots DID break a rule. No doubt. But you demean yourself by calling it cheating. It was done in the open, in front of 70,000 New Yorkers, with a Patriots staffer in full Patriot staff clothing. Against a head Coach who was intimately involved in the operations of the New England Patriots for years.

So when you and others claim "cheating", you define yourselves as being disingenuous.

When opposing fans come on here and spout "cheating" they immediately get banned. I'm giving you a second chance, based upon your previous posts that seemed sincere and on the level.

First the asterisk is removed ......

Next the Jaguars .......

....the media has turned it into something competitive and degrading.

Wait, you guys put up the asterisk reference, and it's the MEDIA that turned it into something?

As the chairman said to the bald chick: Boo hoo, you had me and you lost me.

But you demean yourself by calling it cheating. It was done in the open, in front of 70,000 New Yorkers, with a Patriots staffer in full Patriot staff clothing.

Oh, no, Shmessy, jaywalking is the same as murder ONE: A crime done by criminals.

First the asterisk is removed ......

Next the Jaguars .......

The Jaguars should have their own asterisk for having an organization stupid enough to have the asterisk on their official website heading into a playoff game against the team that has springboarded the NFL's disrespect for them into a 16-0 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST