PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante Samuel believes he's 1st Ballot HOF material.

CB-A: 51 INT, 6TD, 7 FF, 3 FR, 0 Sacks, 164 Passes Defended
CB-B: 53 INT, 7 TD, 7 FF, 4 FR, 5 Sacks, 108 PD
CB-C: 29 INT, 3 TD, 4 FF, 12 FR, 2 Sacks, 139 PD

Highlight to the right for who is who: Samuel, Law & Revis.

And the sad part is you know, CB-C will get in before CB-A and CB-B.

Further proving that Asante Samuel is a mental case.

Without question, he’s the best CB BB ever drafted.

1st ballet HOF material? Absolutely not. That drop in Super Bowl 42 and then leaving Tyree for Harrison to hang out to dry is why he wasn’t resigned in the offseason.

Aside from 2006, he wasn’t that great of a CB.

Close to what? HOF? Are you joking? He had a couple good seasons but was overall very mediocre. There were at least 20 corners in his generation that were clearly better and probably more like 50.
Yes I think he is close to a HOFer and I hope he makes it.

Only great “CB” BB ever drafted?

Weird question for him to ask, but he’s probably right.

If you count Devin as a safety... then the list dwindles to Logan Ryan? Ellis Hobbs?

Congrats Asante. You were, in fact, better than Logan Ryan and Ellis Hobbs.

Darius Butler, Wheatley, Willie Andrews, Mike Richardson, Jonathan Wilhite, Dowling, Malcolm Williams, Alfonzo Denard, Daryl Roberts, Cyrus Jones.

He was so much better than people want to admit. Tackling was never an issue when he was with us and teams threw in his area at their own risk. He was also great for the eagles the first few years and almost singlehandedly won their playoff game against the giants his first year there all while still being a ball hawk. He was done after he basically destroyed his groin. And for a guy that is criticized for tackling, he has some of the most vicious hits I've seen from a corner. I remember monster hits from him on guys like ronnie brown and Broncos te Jeb Putzier if I remember his name correctly. etc.

The closest player I have seen to him in all these years is Janoris Jenkins.

He was so much better than people want to admit. Tackling was never an issue when he was with us and teams threw in his area at their own risk. He was also great for the eagles the first few years and almost singlehandedly won their playoff game against the giants his first year there all while still being a ball hawk. He was done after he basically destroyed his groin. And for a guy that is criticized for tackling, he has some of the most vicious hits I've seen from a corner. I remember monster hits from him on guys like ronnie brown and Broncos te Jeb Putzier if I remember his name correctly. etc.

The closest player I have seen to him in all these years is Janoris Jenkins.
I agree he was a big hitter and he made some great plays for the Pats. But the question is, is he HOF type material? 2006 was his only good year as a starter in my opinion. He struggled in 2007, getting beat by some mediocre WR's throughout the season and then failing to ice the game late in the 4th quarter. Had he caught Manning's pass, he'd be a legend in Boston. And why he thought leaving Tyree was a good idea is something I'd like to know. Manning would've probably taken a sack had Samuel at least been near Tyree. He really let his team down with those two plays.

I don't recall him being anything special in Philly.

I don't think he'll ever be in a conversation of making the HOF.

Was his interception miss really that easy? I mean he could have made it but I don't recall it was a gimme pick.

It's long ago and I only watched once but I thought I recalled Meriweather dropping an easier pass.

Was his interception miss really that easy? I mean he could have made it but I don't recall it was a gimme pick.

It's long ago and I only watched once but I thought I recalled Meriweather dropping an easier pass.
Merriweather's pass was inexcusable. The pass was sort of high for Samuel, but I think it was more of a mistimed jump. He should've caught it.

I re watched that game a few months ago and couldn't believe how horrible Eli Manning was in that game. The Pats should've had 3 INT's in the first quarter ALONE! Hobbs dropped a pass in the endzone on the first drive of the game which would've taken 3 points off of the board. Had the Pats capitalized on those turnovers and the one that Pierre Woods got wrestled away, the Pats would've scored enough points to put the game away. I think Woods got robbed on that play as you can clearly see that he had recovered it and then Bradshaw came in and took it away after the fact. I still can't believe the refs didn't see that.

As Bruschi put it when asked about it, he says the entire team was extremely nervous that game and the pressure got to them. Spagnolo has said the only reason they had a chance in the Super Bowl was because they faced the Pats in the regular season. His game plan didn't work week 17, so he switched it up and tried things the team hadn't done at all during the season.

Last edited:

1ABAEA60-FF45-4F4A-8450-0D140E6F9836.jpeg
As a HOF lock, it was a gimme. As a good pro, it was challenging. If he caught it, Eli Manning would never even be considered HOF material by Giants homers so I blame Samuel for that too (as well as others).

Close to what? HOF? Are you joking? He had a couple good seasons but was overall very mediocre. There were at least 20 corners in his generation that were clearly better and probably more like 50.

What!? Please tell me that statement is just extreme hyperbole, and not your actual opinion. Because that's just complete and utter nonsense; there's no way fifty CBs in the same generation were better than Asante Samuel. Hell, even 20 is seriously pushing it. But 50? That's an even dumber statement than claiming Asante is HOF worthy (and he's not even in the discussion, imo). Unless you are stretching the word "generation" to the extreme, or something...

What!? Please tell me that statement is just extreme hyperbole, and not your actual opinion. Because that's just complete and utter nonsense; there's no way fifty CBs in the same generation were better than Asante Samuel. Hell, even 20 is seriously pushing it. But 50? That's an even dumber statement than claiming Asante is HOF worthy (and he's not even in the discussion, imo). Unless you are stretching the word "generation" to the extreme, or something...
Players whose career overlapped his. That’s less than 2 per team over a 12(?) year period.
It adds up when you consider he was a thoroughly average starting level corner with as many flaws as strengths.

Hall of Fame? Get outta here. Hall of Very Good is a more apt debate. And I like the guy more than most around here.

Regards,
Chris

So, I happened to catch Samuel's twitter in the past few days and if you want a good laugh, you should go see it..

He believes that he's a 1st Ballot HOFer.
He believes that he's one of the best corners in Pats history, but also one of the best ever.
He points to his 10 interception year of 2006 as an indicator.
He believes he's the only "great" CB that Belichick has ever drafted..

Yeah, and one Saturday night while in college after a six pack and then 7 Long Island ice teas, I was convinced I was the King of England.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back