PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante Samuel believes he's 1st Ballot HOF material.

Players whose career overlapped his.
Yeah, you aren't going to find 50 CBs in 2003-2013 who were better than Asante. Well, unless "overlapped" means, say, Deion Sanders, now counts as part of that "generation" because he had that brief comeback in Balt. Hell, even then, 50 is way too much.

That’s less than 2 per team over a 12(?) year period.
It adds up when you consider he was a thoroughly average starting level corner with as many flaws as strengths.

I'm not even that big on Asante, but "thoroughly average" doesn't make you an All-Pro (i.e. not just Pro Bowl), nor does it result in 51 career INTs. Strictly a zone corner? Sure. But hell, even when he had to play man coverage in Philly, he still was better than "thoroughly average." Not worth the big money? Sure. But that's not "thoroughly average."

Last edited:
My first and only thought upon reading the thread title.

Did he mis- time the jump for that ball because it looked to me like it was out of reach....

So, I happened to catch Samuel's twitter in the past few days and if you want a good laugh, you should go see it..

He believes that he's a 1st Ballot HOFer.
He believes that he's one of the best corners in Pats history, but also one of the best ever.
He points to his 10 interception year of 2006 as an indicator.
He believes he's the only "great" CB that Belichick has ever drafted..

Belechick never drafted a great CB.

CB-A: 51 INT, 6TD, 7 FF, 3 FR, 0 Sacks, 164 Passes Defended
CB-B: 53 INT, 7 TD, 7 FF, 4 FR, 5 Sacks, 108 PD
CB-C: 29 INT, 3 TD, 4 FF, 12 FR, 2 Sacks, 139 PD

Highlight to the right for who is who: Samuel, Law & Revis.

And the sad part is you know, CB-C will get in before CB-A and CB-B.

Do you really consider it “sad” that Revis will get in before Law or Samuel? You do realize his big traditional stats are not as impressive because no one would throw near him, right?

Samuel is not a Halll of Fame player. He has the cumulative stats to make a case but well known to be a huge gambler always looking for an INT, even though it meant getting burned frequently. I think Law should get in, as he was a top corner of his era at his peak, has multiple championships, and had some huge playoff/SB moments. However, Revis is one of the top few cornerbacks of all-time and was the virtually unanimous best CB in football for a 3-4 year period. He was really in a class by himself with no one having even close to the same shutdown abilities, especially in this era. While the championship with the Patriots is certainly a cherry on top, Revis is a first ballot H of F regardless.

Always been so humble

lol

That’s rich.

“Get ‘high’ to this”

Players whose career overlapped his. That’s less than 2 per team over a 12(?) year period.
It adds up when you consider he was a thoroughly average starting level corner with as many flaws as strengths.
Andy’s got me on ignore. Someone else ask him to name the 50.

So, I happened to catch Samuel's twitter in the past few days and if you want a good laugh, you should go see it..

He believes that he's a 1st Ballot HOFer.
He believes that he's one of the best corners in Pats history, but also one of the best ever.
He points to his 10 interception year of 2006 as an indicator.
He believes he's the only "great" CB that Belichick has ever drafted..

Hes the only CB BB drafted to drop a game winning Superbowl Interception...

Did he mis- time the jump for that ball because it looked to me like it was out of reach....
I dunna know. I thought he timed the jump fine and the ball hit the top of the fingers on his right hand. Maybe he closed them a bit too early.
It would have been a very, very good INT.

The non-holding and in the grasp calls were 10x more ridiculous.

He was more of a ball hawk and less a shutdown corner. Very good at that, but not great. I don't see him in the Hall.

Statistics are a tough measure for the Hall with defensive backs. QBs do not keep throwing at shutdown corners, so the numbers are lower. INTs are often a question of luck in catching tipped balls (having great ability would help, but frequently the great defensive backs are the ones breaking up the catch and another defender gets that INT). There are players with a decent number of INTs who I wouldn't even call very good.

Champ Bailey and Revis were shutdown corners (for the long-term Pats, Mike Haynes for sure and Ty Law more so than Samuel). I liked to see Samuel on the field, but I never considered him a shutdown corner (I also preferred, if given the choice, to see Rodney Harrison on the field in the secondary, as I saw him as more important to the defense than Samuel).

I don't think he even qualifies for the Patriot Place HOF.

Closing statement on his Pat's career Wikipedia:

"During his franchised season, he was named to the 2008 Pro Bowl and helped lead the Patriots to Super Bowl XLII, where Samuel dropped a possible interception that would have clinched the game for the Patriots. On the play after his drop, Eli Manning completed a pass to David Tyree that is now known as the Helmet Catch to help lead an upset."

Do you really consider it “sad” that Revis will get in before Law or Samuel? You do realize his big traditional stats are not as impressive because no one would throw near him, right?

Samuel is not a Halll of Fame player. He has the cumulative stats to make a case but well known to be a huge gambler always looking for an INT, even though it meant getting burned frequently. I think Law should get in, as he was a top corner of his era at his peak, has multiple championships, and had some huge playoff/SB moments. However, Revis is one of the top few cornerbacks of all-time and was the virtually unanimous best CB in football for a 3-4 year period. He was really in a class by himself with no one having even close to the same shutdown abilities, especially in this era. While the championship with the Patriots is certainly a cherry on top, Revis is a first ballot H of F regardless.

I made no such declaration. All I did was post the stats of the three players because the numbers are a bit shocking. While I might agree Samuel is a not a HOF player it's naive to think the HOF voters don't put a massive amount of weight on it. I think it may keep Revis from being first ballot and may get Asante more consideration than people think. One trick ponies like Kevin Greene have made the HOF as have players like Martin and Bettis who were in the hall of really good but amassed volume stats and got in.

Thus no way I put Revis as a first ballot lock or Asante in the definitely out category.

Samuel's forgetting about Ras I Dowling, Terrence Wheatley, and Cyrus Jones...put those three talents in your pipe and smoke it Asante!

SHOW ME THE MONEYYYYYY I can't hear you Jerry....SHOW MEEEE THE MONEYYYYYYY

One of the most overrated CBs I have ever seen. Especially in his own mind, which I see continues on today. Way more to playing CB than just INTs. He basically was average to below average at every thing except jumping on a route.

Couldn't stand him when he was here. 1st ballot my ass! He doesn't even belong in the HoF discussion.

Asante Samuel has zero chance to getting into HOF. Heck, Ty Law is having a tough time getting into HOF. I think Ty Law had a much better career than Asante Samuel. And Ty Law has kept his profile reasonably high in the media post retirement (but not as high as Bettis) which is incredibly important to canvass support for his candidature.
Nobody has heard or seen Asante Samuel after his retirement.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back