PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are you surprised the Pats haven't made any moves yet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott99

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I'm really surprised the Pats haven't made any moves yet to effect the 53 man roster. Several moves practice squad wise, but nothing yet to help the current active squad.

They've brought in a lot of guys, some that fit weaknesses, like Akeem Ayers, who played quite well (4 sacks in 4 starts, 9 games overall) and seemed to fit the Pats system really well, and WR Jeremy Ross, who is a very good punt returner (a MAJOR need) and solid slot receiver who was in the Pat's system a few years back. Very surprised those two haven't signed. Must not have tested out well.

I think they brought in 4 QBs so far looking to fill the 3rd QB slot, haven't signed any of them (was hoping we signed Fales). After game one of the season, there are obvious needs, maybe Amendola won't miss any games ? I was hoping we'd have some new (helpful) faces for game 2.

Would love to see another akiem hicks type of deal later on during the season. It's amazing to me how hicks went from a dissapointment in New Orleans to getting traded to the pats and now a rich man.

I have 100% confidence that, as the next practice begins, Belichick will make THIS move...

ZLWrk_s-200x150.gif

:)

BB understands that that game was such a colossal screwup, and that it was in the very "one off" nature, and that coaching had a LOT to do w/ the outcome, that changing players more than any usual week is a loser move, and this organization is not a loser organization

you dont blame players when you put them in horrible positions, and that is what BB essentially did, he's accepting the fault and going to try and do better week 2, dont expect more player turnover than usual

No
I do expect a QB to the PS.
Also I do think that over time there will be a couple 53 roster moves made from outside the organization. The team improvement quest need not be a rush job.

It's important to note when these guys were productive NFL players, because it looks to me like it was 3 years ago for Ayers and 2 years ago for Ross. A lot can change over that amount of time.

The loss was a total team failure i.e. Coaching, scouting and players. I don't think 1 or 2 trades will make a difference. The team has a head start against NO and I hope they can create a sense of urgency. We have some great players already. They just need to be on the same page.

BB understands that that game was such a colossal screwup, and that it was in the very "one off" nature, and that coaching had a LOT to do w/ the outcome, that changing players more than any usual week is a loser move, and this organization is not a loser organization

you dont blame players when you put them in horrible positions, and that is what BB essentially did, he's accepting the fault and going to try and do better week 2, dont expect more player turnover than usual
very WELL written, and agree 90% with what you said. But with being slim at WR/PR/Edge Rusher, and THEN losing Amendola & Hightower, and bringing in a ton of WRs so far, I thought something was going to be done. I'd be very surprised if we go into the N.O. game with just Hogan, Cooks and Dorsett, so I'm hoping that since we didn't sign anyone, that's a sign Amendola has gone through concussion protocol and is ready for game 2. But IF he's not ready, I'd be shocked if a receiver isn't signed.

Our front 7, without Hightower is scary bad, with only Trey Flowers and Alan Branch as the only proven guys who are good. We are going to see a lot of David Harris is Hightower is out. Marsh and Wise, who I like (especially Wise), are very unproven. Ayers proved himself on the Pats in 2014 and we could use him big time.

If they made any moves, the Pats would be in another cheating scandal. You cannot add, remove, or trade a player until the last game is played. The Pats have been in a personnel freeze since Thursday.

That said, I doubt they will make any big moves this quickly. In 2014, the Pats looked like crap in the second half in Miami opening weekend and Belichick didn't panic and make knee jerk moves and the Pats stumbled through the month of September that year with everyone declaring them dead. Even then, Belichick was onto Cincinnati.

If they made any moves, the Pats would be in another cheating scandal. You cannot add, remove, or trade a player until the last game is played. The Pats have been in a personnel freeze since Thursday.

That said, I doubt they will make any big moves this quickly. In 2014, the Pats looked like crap in the second half in Miami opening weekend and Belichick didn't panic and make knee jerk moves and the Pats stumbled through the month of September that year with everyone declaring them dead. Even then, Belichick was onto Cincinnati.

this.

people forget how bad the team looked after week 4 in 2014.

Got smoked by Miami and KC, squeaked by a bad Raiders team because of a game ending turn over and beat a bad Minnesota team.

that was a very average to bad looking 2-2

A little surprised maybe, or at least I will be a little surprised if the trend holds through this week. If nothing else I think they may bring in a WR--maybe Lucien--to shore up their depth a bit.

Not shocked, though, if they don't. At some of the positions where we had issues, there are players on the roster who can be projected to do better going forward due to health (Valentine) or just being on the team more than a week (Marsh, Dorsett). If Belichick thinks the guys on the roster are good bets to step up, then it makes sense to stick with them rather than try to bring in new guys.

It's important to note when these guys were productive NFL players, because it looks to me like it was 3 years ago for Ayers and 2 years ago for Ross. A lot can change over that amount of time.

Ayers was pretty effective 2 years ago on the Rams. He couldn't justify the contract they gave him, but he was a serviceable player.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference