PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are we taking the Ravens too lightly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, I know, "we" don't play the game, but from a fan perspective it seems like we're not giving them enough credit. I see threads that say we'll get to the SB no problem and that we should only be concerned about who we face in the SB. Then there are the other threads saying that we'll annihilate the Ravens.

No one seems to be talking about what it will take to beat the Ravens. They beat us last time and could very well beat us again; we do not do well with good/great defenses, and the ravens have a great defense. Reed scares the crap out of me, as well as BB and TB ... according to the BB special on NFL Network, its a football life or something. Then you got Suggs rushing TB every down to try and give him a love tap, and then you have RL covering the short yardage bumping and looking for the pick.

Granted we are 6-1 vs them, but they are also the type of team to give Brady fits. And when Brady is pushed around he does not... play great. I just get the feeling we're overlooking them and not taking them seriously because we're on a high from the Denver blowout.

I would really not be surprised if the Ravens beat us again. Flacco sucks of course, but the Ravens D can keep us low scoring enough to allow Flacco to do just enough to win.

I just can't believe that we seem to be overlooking them and are more worried about who we'll face in the SB...

I could be wrong in a few specific examples but I think the vast majority of proclamations that appear as fans here not giving the Ravens enough credit are in response to Ravens fans coming here and declaring Baltimore will win; how do you expect most Pats fans would react to that? If that's not it then where do you get the feeling that 'we' collectively are not giving the Ravens enough credit? Because one fan started a thread about 'who would you rather face in the Super Bowl'? Just because people respond with an opinion to that question, it does not automatically mean they are not giving the Ravens enough credit.

I am not overlooking the Ravens, and I think the overwhelming majority of Pats fans think the same way; it is no fluke whatsoever that they went 12-4 and are the #2 seed. To me it would not be shocking at all if the Ravens won, but at the same time I do believe there is a more likely chance that the Patriots win. As a result I am cautiously optimistic. But just because I am optimistic and think the Pats will win, that does not equate to me discounting the Ravens and assuming the game is an automatic win.

Isn't that really how fans should feel about their team? I'm sure most Ravens fans feel the same way: concerned about the strengths of their opponent and weaknesses on their own team, but overall optimistic that their team will win the game. What's wrong with any fan feeling that way?

Aren't you attending the party regardless? :confused:

Yes. But I am not looking past this week. Totally focused on this weekends game. Not going to let the superbowl party distract me from prepping for this weekends championship party.

(it was intended as joke) :D

I'm surprised by the 7-point line. I would have figured some benefit for HFA, but on paper, this game looks really even to me. It should be the Patriots' hardest game of the year.

The Ravens finished only one game behind with, in my opinion, a tougher schedule. They have a lot of battle tested players. Boldin is healthy, which gives them an added dimension. Many players on that squad have no fear at all of coming to Foxborough. If the Patriots play the way they did in about 3/4ths of their games this year, I don't think they can win unless the Ravens make unforced errors.

I think it's just going to come down to execution. Our defense needs to get off the field on third down. The difference between a couple of tipped balls at the line of scrimmage or in the secondary and those balls getting through fingertips may well be what this game comes down to.

we don't play the game...we can be as confident as we want..just like ravens fans

I know, I know, "we" don't play the game, but from a fan perspective it seems like we're not giving them enough credit. I see threads that say we'll get to the SB no problem and that we should only be concerned about who we face in the SB. Then there are the other threads saying that we'll annihilate the Ravens.

No one seems to be talking about what it will take to beat the Ravens. They beat us last time and could very well beat us again; we do not do well with good/great defenses, and the ravens have a great defense. Reed scares the crap out of me, as well as BB and TB ... according to the BB special on NFL Network, its a football life or something. Then you got Suggs rushing TB every down to try and give him a love tap, and then you have RL covering the short yardage bumping and looking for the pick.

Granted we are 6-1 vs them, but they are also the type of team to give Brady fits. And when Brady is pushed around he does not... play great. I just get the feeling we're overlooking them and not taking them seriously because we're on a high from the Denver blowout.

I would really not be surprised if the Ravens beat us again. Flacco sucks of course, but the Ravens D can keep us low scoring enough to allow Flacco to do just enough to win.

I just can't believe that we seem to be overlooking them and are more worried about who we'll face in the SB...

You may be confusing our outlook towards the Ravens with our outlook towards the handful of Crow trolls that have been polluting this board the past week (i82much not included...great nick btw :))

I'm well aware that Baltimore can beat NE and you would have to be a fool to think otherwise, however I'm confident the Patriots are going to do well and probably win on Sunday because of Belichik, Brady, their OL, as welll as the feeling that this Ravens defense is not as good as those the Patriots have faced in the past.

The other reason I am feeling so good about this week is the way the play-offs have gone overall. Having Pitt, the Pack, and the Saints all get knocked out is as good a scenario as we could ever have hoped for as Patriot fans, and while it will suck if they don't take advantage of these developments it is still pretty sweet that things have panned out as they have so far.

I'm just feeling really good about this tournament and I'm going to enjoy it as long as it lasts.

I'm well aware that Baltimore can beat NE and you would have to be a fool to think otherwise, however I'm confident the Patriots are going to do well and probably win on Sunday because of Belichik, Brady, their OL, as welll as the feeling that this Ravens defense is not as good as those the Patriots have faced in the past.

The other reason I am feeling so good about this week is the way the play-offs have gone overall. Having Pitt, the Pack, and the Saints all get knocked out is as good a scenario as we could ever have hoped for as Patriot fans, and while it will suck if they don't take advantage of these developments it is still pretty sweet that things have panned out as they have so far.

I'm just feeling really good about this tournament and I'm going to enjoy it as long as it lasts.

I hate to bring up 2007 but the Cowboys and Packers were knocked out and we were ready to throw the parade. SF is better than the 07 Giants, some even say these Giants are better.

1.) Yes, many here are taking the Ravens too lightly.

2.) We have some threads with serious discussions about the Ravens this weekend, including one which Jay started.

3.) I'm tired of the "When Brady gets pushed around..." stuff. First, it's not always true and, second, most, if not all, quarterbacks have a tendency to play less effectively when getting hit repeatedly during a game, especially if it starts before the QB can settle in. It's as true of Rodgers and Brees as it is of Brady.

Fair enough, but I think the OP means that the Baltimore Defense is certainly one that can "push a QB around", including Brady.....which is cause for his concern. He does not feel people are appreciating this.

The Packers were probably feeling pretty good, too.

Let's just hope that the team plays up to our expectations. We certainly know the Patriots are capable of beating ANY team on a given Sunday, let's just hope it's THIS Sunday.

I'm surprised by the 7-point line. I would have figured some benefit for HFA, but on paper, this game looks really even to me. It should be the Patriots' hardest game of the year.

Those numbers are fairly meaningless. they are what Vegas uses in order to create a profitable spread when people place bets.

The Ravens finished only one game behind with, in my opinion, a tougher schedule. They have a lot of battle tested players. Boldin is healthy, which gives them an added dimension. Many players on that squad have no fear at all of coming to Foxborough. If the Patriots play the way they did in about 3/4ths of their games this year, I don't think they can win unless the Ravens make unforced errors.

I disagree with this premise which seems to read - unless the Patriots play perfect error-free football they will lose to the Ravens. That is your premise already assumes the Ravens hold the upper hand. If you turn it around, wouldn't you say that unless the Ravens defense plays their best, forces turnovers, and gets consistent pressure on Brady that they don't have a chance of winning the game? Again too broad of a statement.

I do agree that keeping turnovers to a minimum and winning the TO battle is important but that is true of any football game. There is a third scenario where the turnover battle is even. That is they offset. In this case are you saying the Pats still can't win? I disagree.

If the Patriots execute their usual offense at the usual level, an average of 32ppg btw, they can win this game because Flacco and the Raven's offense is generally not efficient enough to compete in a shootout.

I think it's just going to come down to execution. Our defense needs to get off the field on third down. The difference between a couple of tipped balls at the line of scrimmage or in the secondary and those balls getting through fingertips may well be what this game comes down to.

Execution is always key. And whether or not Pats fans take this game lightly, I personally don't, the Patriots TEAM of football players definitely will not. Not when they have Brady and BB in charge. It's going to be one heckuva football game and I expect to see our best! If the Patriots play like they are capable of playing, we are going to the Superbowl! :rocker:

I hate to bring up 2007 but the Cowboys and Packers were knocked out and we were ready to throw the parade. SF is better than the 07 Giants, some even say these Giants are better.

I don't think anyone cared who they faced in 2007, and I'm not suggesting anything is a lock simply that seeing Pitt, GB, and NO is a good development for NE, especially given the secondary woes they have experienced.

via Greg Bedard's boston.com chat

Greg A. Bedard: While I do agree Patriots fans gained a little bit too much confidence from the win against an overmatched Broncos team, if you had Tom Brady and three Super Bowl titles, you'd like your chances against just about anybody. I would just remind Patriots fans that we all felt this exact same last year against a very similar team -- the Jets run the same scheme with worse defensive personnel IMO and a similar quarterback -- and the Jets dominated them. So I'd just dial it back a little bit, respect the opponent, and be confident, but not overconfident.

Not that it matters but don't include me in the "we". This is the AFCG for a trip to SB, the Ravens are going to come intense, the same way I expect the Patriots to be.

via Greg Bedard's boston.com chat

He's talking to the fans like the fans are playing the Ravens this weekend. WHo cares what we think, as long as BB and that team takes this game seriously, thats all that really matters.

good thing we don't have to play them and the actual players and coaches do

Yeah, I am def not going to fall into the trap like some fans do. Fans drive the media, and like the Steelers game people expected the past to have bearings on the future. It does not. Just tone it and down and be humbled that the Pats got this far. They can easily win or lose. It just decreases disappointment and the shock factor. Believe it or not players to feed off that stuff..ask the Steelers.

Yeah, I am def not going to fall into the trap like some fans do. Fans drive the media, and like the Steelers game people expected the past to have bearings on the future. It does not. Just tone it and down and be humbled that the Pats got this far. They can easily win or lose. It just decreases disappointment and the shock factor. Believe it or not players to feed off that stuff..ask the Steelers.

Exactly! Thank you! You were able to successfully get across in a few words what I had not been able to in a full long-winded post.

Its not that I think our players are not gonna practice as hard or something. Its more that if they hear it enough times from multiple channels that they'll win easy, they're going to start to believe it too. Its human nature.

The media in general often peruses fan messageboards to get an idea of what fans are thinking and then go and write articles based on that. So as much as BB can shield the players from outside influences, he can only shield so much. With how much emphasis has been put on us losing in '09 due to Welker not being able to play, you don't think that might make Welker right now a little overconfident?

If we as fans are feeling overconfident, it will spill over to the players.

Last edited:
I don't think anybody on either team is taking this game lightly.

Ravens and Pats games are always close going back in my head to your guys undefeated season when the Ravens i think came the closest to stopping your train in the regular season, and last season when you guys beat us in overtime. Both nail biters.

But if the Ravens win or loose, I was thinking of staying around these forums because out of all the other NFL teams forums this has to be one of the most intelligent fan bases I've run into. You can actually have a debate without getting cussed out over the internet.

I don't think anybody on either team is taking this game lightly.

Ravens and Pats games are always close going back in my head to your guys undefeated season when the Ravens i think came the closest to stopping your train in the regular season, and last season when you guys beat us in overtime. Both nail biters.

But if the Ravens win or loose, I was thinking of staying around these forums because out of all the other NFL teams forums this has to be one of the most intelligent fan bases I've run into. You can actually have a debate without getting cussed out over the internet.

GTFO Dirty Bird!!!

Opps sorry, thought this was Jets forum.

AFC Championship game.

AFC Championship game.

AFC Championship game.

AFC Championship game.

AFC Championship game.

AFC Championship game.

AFC Championship game.

How does anyone take that lightly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back