PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are the Patriots undermanned at WR again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTibbs

In the Starting Line-Up
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Do the Patriots have enough quality WR's this upcoming season? I'm thinking Moss, Gaffney Welker and two suspect wr's in Washington and Jackson. The big question is will we finally see something out of Chad Jackson? I have a feeling Gaffney gets the nod at the #2 spot. Gaffney is ok but he's not a "big" play maker.

What's your take guys?

My take is we have the best split end in the NFL, the best slot reciever in the NFL and a pretty good flanker in Gaffney. I think Gaffney would be better working the slot opposite Welker in an ace set, and if Jackson develops he has all the physical skills you look for in a flanker. I think Washington is one of the best special teams players in the NFL.

I think Watson can flex out and be motioned around, same with Dave Thomas. I think Kevin Faulk is as dangerous as anyone on screens.

I think this team is as deep and good as any in the passing game.

Last edited:
I guess there might be something left to desire, but Slater can play WR and they still have Sam Aiken on the roster when I last checked. Definitely not as strong as last year, but I'm sure the WR group will be fine.

I think last yr, we had no Injuries at WR, with the exception of Jackson..

Stallworth is gone, but he was gone the latter part of the yr anyway..

Jackson and Washington will step up, and maybee a cj jones on the practice squad will be fine...

I knew Stallworth wasn't going to be here next season, but it would've been nice to get more out of it in 07. He was probably the fastest WR we had.

They were almost a SB Championship team with Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney at WR, with Troy Brown in the slot. They're real weakness was at DB, both in '06 and '07, the Achilles heel that Capers and the new blood were brought in to address.

I think they'll be fine at WR.

Do the Patriots have enough quality WR's this upcoming season? I'm thinking Moss, Gaffney Welker and two suspect wr's in Washington and Jackson. The big question is will we finally see something out of Chad Jackson? I have a feeling Gaffney gets the nod at the #2 spot. Gaffney is ok but he's not a "big" play maker.

What's your take guys?

So long as Moss and Welker stay healthy, the Pats should be fine.

Gaffney was good enough last year to beat out Stallworth for playing

time. This may be Jackson's last chance to live up to his college

reputation. He has to bust his butt the next two years to have a big

payday when his contract expires. I was kind of surprised that

that the Pats did not sign a couple of UDFA receivers for a little

insurance in case someone got injured.

Let me put it this way: No. NOT AT ALL. They are not at all undermanned at WR. Why would anyone even think that?

Now is when Bam Childress steps up:singing::D

Hmmm... I think 1 HOF receiver still in his prime and the best slot receiver is not bad. I just don't understand where this expectation comes from that every single position on this team needs to be #1 in the NFL. If that were possible, then we would truly be the yankees of their prime. I just don't understand this unrealistic expectation that we must have the youngest, most talented, most experienced(see the juxtoposition?) team in the league. Take comfort in we're just pretty damn good.

With Moss, Welker and Gaffney the top three are an obvious no.

The next two are Washington and Jackson. I guess there's a little uncertainty there but Washington has been a viable WR before; he should know the offense and seemed like a good worker last year so there's no reason to worry about him as a backup IMO. Jackson is more of a wildcard, who knows. Anyway, my answer is clearly NO. Sure we can't lose Moss or Welker without it being a big loss but that's how it goes with top players, we can't have pro bowlers as backups.

I think it's still too early in the offseason to worry about team depth. They are fine at the front of the WR rotation, so put me in the 'not worried' category.

Luckily Moss, Welker and Gaffney seem to stay injury free for the most part. If Chad doesn't show anything in camp or preseason it wouldn't surprise me to see him cut.

What's your take guys?

I think we have the best WR group in the league.

Hmmm... I think 1 HOF receiver still in his prime and the best slot receiver is not bad. I just don't understand where this expectation comes from that every single position on this team needs to be #1 in the NFL. If that were possible, then we would truly be the yankees of their prime. I just don't understand this unrealistic expectation that we must have the youngest, most talented, most experienced(see the juxtoposition?) team in the league. Take comfort in we're just pretty damn good.

Thank you for introducing a note of sanity to this thread and board.

Absolutely we are undermanned.

We have the WR who broke the NFL record for most TD receptions.

We have a WR who tied for the season most catches.

But we don't have the league leader in total yards. If BB want this team to be successful he must make a trade and acquire Reggie Wayne.

Think about the "again" in the title of this thread. It presumably refers to a repeat of 2006, when the top 3 receivers for week 1 were:

Reche Caldwell
Doug Gabriel
Troy Brown

...with Bam Childress and a gimpy rookie Chad Jackson.

Today we're looking at:

Randy Moss
Jabar Gaffney
Wes Welker

+ Chad Jackson, Kelley Washington and Sam Aiken.

Where's the "again"? That looks to me like a wholesale change from one of the weakest receiving corps in the league to one of the strongest. The only loss from last year's record-setting crew is Stallworth, who was the #4 WR by the end of the season.

No offense but the original poster's question seems a little silly. Moss, Welker, Gaffney, and then a number of adequate players vying for the last spots does not seem like being undermanned at all. I am sure that by the time camp starts, depth will be addressed in full and the Patriots will have 5 or 6 options at WR ranging from good to great. It is way to early to guess but my initial prediction would be 5 WRs and 3 TEs.

Absolutely we are undermanned.

We have the WR who broke the NFL record for most TD receptions.

We have a WR who tied for the season most catches.

But we don't have the league leader in total yards. If BB want this team to be successful he must make a trade and acquire Reggie Wayne.

:rocker:

Anyway... NO! We are absolutely, positively not undermanned at WR. You know who is undermanned at WR? The Raiders, the Ravens, the Broncos, etc. We have one of the best WR corps in the league still. I happen to think Jackson will shine this year as well. If he does, we have a better corps than 2007.

just don't understand where this expectation comes from that every single position on this team needs to be #1 in the NFL.

But at this position, you can make a great case that this team is #1 in the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents