PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are the Chiefs in trouble?

RIpats88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
This strikes me like the Seahawks. Once everyone's contract came up and you had to pay wilson the talent deteriorated and while the Seahawks still are a good team they aren't anywhere near the 2013 team.

They paid Mahomes, hill and kelce. And pretty soon Mahomes will have a 45million cap hit and hill and kelce will be up there too. The team won't be able to afford top defensive guys or olinemen. It might start to look more like last night.

People have thought the chiefs were invincible. But the Patriots gave the blueprint on how to defend them. Bowles defensive plan was the Patriots (who nearly beat them with hoyer).

Now I'm not saying they won't be a good team or continue to be in this big game. But they don't look as invincible as they once did

This loss is bone crushing. We will see how they respond but they are losing talent this off-season with the flat cap. SB losers don't fare well the following season. Bills should be licking their chops.

Last edited:
Well, it showed how pedestrian Mahomes currently is when he doesn't have wiiiiiide open guys to throw to. I don't believe in most "blueprint" games, but this one felt legit.

Also, their aura of invincibility that made other teams beat themselves is gone.

That was a bit of an eye opener for me. I don’t think he handled the pressure all that well and he didn’t adapt to it either. No recognizing what’s coming and changing the play etc just a lot of running around in circles.

Mahomes and Hill are a dangerous combo ... If both their starting OTs werent on the IR, last night might have ended differently...

But I will say CEH is the Chiefs version of Sony Michel...
Kelce will be 32 next year and is already starting to look flat footed... losing a step here and there...
Going to have to start adding pieces here and there... and they are 12 - 17 milllion over next years cap...

Hard to imagine the window on this particular iteration of the chiefs staying open much longer

The Chiefs are $17 million over the cap next year, with only 45 players signed! Breland and Sorenson are their two biggest Free Agents, the only contract that they could cut and get significant cap savings from is the Honey Badger (10 million in cap savings).

So they will be OK next year, they just won't have any room to make a big time splash in free agency. Technically they played last night without their starting left and right tackles and one guard, all of them will be back next year.

Chiefs are not in trouble they have still a good team and Mahomes is one of the better QBs (with his weapons he currently has), but there will not be a dynasty, its more likely the Bucs win it next year too if they can keep most of their relevant players and have a good draft to add help where needed Bucs are the more complete team already

nothing lasts forever, well except Brady :D

The luxury of having Sammy Watkins as the third pass catcher is over. Hardman is trending towards bust status & the other WRs are JAGs.

Gilmore has trailed him in the last few matchups. He’ll now be free to cover Kelce (if he stays) while Hill is bracketed.

He got pressured on 50% of his dropbacks and this is your take out of it?
Not my complete take on it, but on the other 50% of the dropbacks he still wasn't good. 10 of his completions were to Kelce, and like seven of those were when Kelce was sitting uncovered 5 yards downfield. TB erased Hill and Mahomes didn't know how to respond.

But, to your point: if Mahomes is that bad under constant pressure, what does that say? Jesus, Brady got mauled by the Giants in 2007 and still managed two touchdowns.

The Chiefs are fine. As of now I'd make them favourites for next year's Superbowl. They do need some improvements defensively, but then so does almost every team. Importantly they'll have Schwartz and Fisher back, who for my money are the best tackle pair in the league, with Remmers back at his normal position.

They're set up to challenge for a long while, don't be in any doubt.

Trouble? No. They've got the toughest position in football figured out for the next 15 years. Mahomes will be ok. Every great QB sans Montana has had to sit through tough questions after a SB loss. Brady, Favre, Elway, Marino, Big Ben, Manning, and Kelly.

Dynasty? Probably not.

But the Kelce I saw last night isn't the guy I want to see going forward. That was concerning.

Hardman clearly hasn't taken that next step. At some point you need to rise up when your #1 receiver is taken out of the game.

Look both tackles were out. Not an excuse. It's a fact. That can't be overstated. I thought Pat could overcome this. I was wrong.

The GOAT discussion: Over. Not as if there was a legit convo to have there anyways. 0-2 against Brady in the postseason. Needs at least 8 rings (Could be 9 rings by the time Brady retires) to surpass Brady. Not going to happen.

Congrats to Tom Brady and the Bucs. I'm confident these teams will meet again in the near future.

The Chiefs are fine. As of now I'd make them favourites for next year's Superbowl. They do need some improvements defensively, but then so does almost every team. Importantly they'll have Schwartz and Fisher back, who for my money are the best tackle pair in the league, with Remmers back at his normal position.

This

14- 2, 12-4....

Mahomes needs help.

Not so sure how they will challenge when Mahomes contract is 45million in a couple years. It's a team game and they will lose talent.

Not saying they won't be a team that's in it every year and competitive. But I see them as becoming the Seahawks with russell wilson. Good team goes to the playoffs but not exactly a contender because the QB has to do everything

No question.

That Mahomes contract is a doozie though.

No NFL team has won a SB when the QB has consumed more than 13.1% of the total team salary cap
Not to mention Mahomes sells Allstate insurance, Head and Shoulders shampoo, Helzberg diamonds, Nebraska Furniture Mart, groceries. I expect a Mahomes Toyota dealership to pop up any day now.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back