PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are the 2012 Patriots team more talented than the 2007 Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be a great question to ask if the 2012 Patriots go 16-0 and head into the playoffs unbeaten. It's not so great a question to ask when the 2012 team isn't even determined yet.

Woah. That is so not a wash. Let's not get too excited. If we're lucky, the 2014 LB unit will be able to compete with 2007, but 2012 is very much a work in progress.

I agree that we can't polish any Canton busts yet. But come on people?!? You guys are having revisionist memories if you think the 2007 linebacking crew was any better. Bruschi and Seau were a shell of themselves. Adalius was decent. Colvin was three steps slower. Vrabel was the only one who was a good player, and even he was starting to slide (I know his stats would state otherwise from that year). In their prime yes the 07 linebackers were great, but this was far from their prime for each and every one of them. I'd take the 2012 linebackers going into a season any day of the week over the 07 group.

this is kinda funny we had a thread like this last year......

...and both teams lost the Super Bowl to the NY Giants. That means, since this thread is up and running for the 2012 season...the Patriots will lose the Super Bowl to the NY Giants.

It's Groundhog Day!

07 is better in the safety department, but featured a 34 year old Rodney, rookie bangclock, young Sanders, and Wilson, it was nothing great.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Merriwether wasn't on the 2007 team. He was drafted in 2008.

Last edited:
Merriwether wasn't on the 2007 team. He was drafted in 2008.

You might be thinking of Mayo. He was our first rounder in the draft after the unbeaten season.

This will be a great question to ask if the 2012 Patriots go 16-0 and head into the playoffs unbeaten. It's not so great a question to ask when the 2012 team isn't even determined yet.

The question was whether they are more talented, not whether they will perform as well or be as good a team as the 2007 one. It's a perfectly reasonable question to ask.

The question was whether they are more talented, not whether they will perform as well or be as good a team as the 2007 one. It's a perfectly reasonable question to ask.

The 2012 team isn't even finalized yet.

More talented than 16-0? I will believe it if I see it... Until then, no.

I think offensively 2012 and 2007 should be a wash.The offenses are different but output wise they should turn out the same.Defensively it is yet to be determined . The 2007 defense was ok ,but by no means was it a juggernaut.The jury on the 2012 defense is still out.No one knows how our drafted players are going to turn out ,are we getting McCourty 2010 or 2011,and how do our defensive free agents play for us.So defensively we do not know yet which team is better.

I will jump ahead but the 2007 defense was stacked as well, the depth on that team was incredible. Easily the best team of the post free agency era.

Gronk, hernandez and lloyd >>>> moss

This. We probably won't see a performance like Moss had for the Patriots that year, but if you include the TE position I think we can make up for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes