PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are People Sleeping On Sammy Morris?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember much about his running style but I do remember that when he was with Buffalo he was a lights-out third down receiver. So that's another role he can pay-backing up Faulk.

I just wish we still had a 3rd and 1 bruiser like Dillon. Evans is big enough but he's too slow. I hope Morris can be that guy.

yeah, evans isn't a very good 3rd and short option. you'd think he'd be.
in minicamp, they seemed to throw a lot of passes to morris. almost seems like he will serve similarly to faulk (going just by minicamp), only his style is different (less agile).

The Patriots win a lot of games and end a lot of first halves with their two-minute offense. This is where Faulk stands out.

If you want to see one place Morris was signed to play, watch when Cassel runs the two-minute offense, who he has as the RB.

They could use Maroney for that as well, but I'm guessing that's a key place where Morris backs up Faulk.

This is a little over-the-top, dontcha think?

Unless I am misreading things, I don't think anyone is saying that Morris is some super-secret weapon, just that he is a capable backup who could most certainly fill in for a game or two if Maroney has injury issues. The lack of use positive was about more tread being on his tires, and I can't see how anyone could disagree with that.

So if you think that people are being homeristic about their views of Morris (capable backup and spot starter, excellent special teams contributor) what are your views? That the guys will have a hard time even earing a roster spot?

You are misreading things, and misreading something that is clearly spelled out. I'll take a breath since you are, generally speaking, a very good poster, but I never said - nor came CLOSE to saying - Morris was a super-secret weapon. The "secret" comment referred to Belichick's ability to somehow make something significantly MORE than "a capable back-up" out of a JAG.

And the idea that the posts in this thread were merely saying that he is "a capable back-up" is laughable. You're better than that.

For those saying I read too much into the spazzy fan-boy posts in this thread, feel free to read:

Personally, I think that's a bigger pickup than it appears.

I can see him taking a good chunk of the workload off of Maroney's shoulders.

Morris is going to be a very good backup and great player to have if Maroney is hurt for a week or two.

I think the simple fact that Belichick went after him at the start of Free Agency is very telling.

Right away we went after Morris which lead me to believe that while playing Miami, BB had much of the same respect for Morris as he did for Welker and went after him. I agree 100% that people are sleeping on him and look forward to seeing him backup Maroney and Faulk and from what I've heard, watch him dominate Special Teams as well.

Sammy Morris is a big time sleeper pickup.

I can't wait to see what Morris has in store

Last edited:
I recall that the first RB BB went after in 2004 was Sammy Morris. The Pats tried to sign him, but he went with the Dolphins. I remember being bummed, but only until Patriots Day, when we traded for Dillon.

It isn't like BB did one of his late-July-let's-sign-the-unwanted-vet things. He tried to sign Morris each time Morris left his team, first the Bills and now the Dolphins.

I'm not saying he is great or anything like that. I like his stats, but I haven't seen him play much. All I'm saying is the BB likes him, enough to go after him first crack out fo the box twice.

For those saying I read too much into the spazzy fan-boy posts in this thread, feel free to read:

Personally, I think that's a bigger pickup than it appears.

I can see him taking a good chunk of the workload off of Maroney's shoulders.

Morris is going to be a very good backup and great player to have if Maroney is hurt for a week or two.

I think the simple fact that Belichick went after him at the start of Free Agency is very telling.

Right away we went after Morris which lead me to believe that while playing Miami, BB had much of the same respect for Morris as he did for Welker and went after him. I agree 100% that people are sleeping on him and look forward to seeing him backup Maroney and Faulk and from what I've heard, watch him dominate Special Teams as well.

Sammy Morris is a big time sleeper pickup.

I can't wait to see what Morris has in store

LOL You have no life.

What good coaches, but not some fans, realize is a great backup player is hard to find.

Having another RB who thinks he should be a starter gives you a player that doesn't know how to prepare to sit and still be ready, a player with an attitude, (I'm better than him), often. And a player who has not developed the versatility to contribute in a number of roles.

I think Morris can start and contribute for short terms. He can also do many things and go from 0-60 when called on, unlike an "almost as good as the starter" backup.

One guy who would make me feel better about our RB core is Greg Jones from Jacksonville. Not much shake-and-bake but he is a fast 260 LB RB who can run well between the tackles. At least he used to be before his injury (broken leg?).

Anyway, he and Alvin Pearman are guys that the WR rich Pats might be able to get from the WR hungry Jaguars. Pearman is more of a Morris type but he is a good player I've heard. Not sure what kind of ST ability these guys have but they would make quality backups.

Morris is a very nice backup. He filled in viably last year when Brown missed 3 1/2 games and gave us some what of a running game while Ronnie was on the sideline. I wouldn't feel very comfortable if he was in there while Maroney was hurt, but together the two should make for a nice combo. Sammy runs hard and always falls forward. I really dislike his pass catching abilities, he dropped a few key passes last year when there was no one within 7 or 8 yards of him.

Morris is a very nice backup. He filled in viably last year when Brown missed 3 1/2 games and gave us some what of a running game while Ronnie was on the sideline. I wouldn't feel very comfortable if he was in there while Maroney was hurt, but together the two should make for a nice combo. Sammy runs hard and always falls forward. I really dislike his pass catching abilities, he dropped a few key passes last year when there was no one within 7 or 8 yards of him.

You really dislike his pass catching ability? If that's the case than you must really hate that pass droppin' Chris Chambers!

Last edited:
Is that a fact?
My use of "alloted" perhaps gives the wrong impression, "staked out" may be a better word choice. I hope the links below help to answer your question. R/Box

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/09/01/india.eye.pilgrim/index.html
As they walk closer -- past the shuttered storefronts, stray dogs and sleeping families on sidewalks -- the faces of pretty young girls, maybe 20 in all, light up under the lamp posts.
http://www.i-indiaonline.com/sc_crisis_theproblem.htm
It is not unusual to see whole families living on the sidewalks of Jaipur...
http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/006873.html
Laxmi Naidu, who lived with her family on a sidewalk in Nagpada for 22 years...
http://www.nais.org/equity/article.cfm?ItemNumber=148755
The streets lights show us small glances of the huge differences in wealth and poverty, as we see families with nothing sleeping on the open sidewalks just outside the walls of the huge embassy compounds.

india7-2_300.jpg
In the early morning two young children sit quietly as their parents sleep. Robert would see them every morning on his way to breakfast. The family lives here with all their worldly possessions, on the sidewalk, outside the Sri Aurobindo Ashram Dinning Hall in Pondicherry.

Are we seriously such homeristic fan-boys that we're interpreting Sammy Morris's lack of action at RB as a good sign??? Listen, I have as much faith in BB & Pioli as anyone here, but not every pick-up is some super-secret, Belichick Autism-skill where he tricks the league and gets a steal on what EVERYONE ELSE assumed was just a journeyman back. Let's maybe take a breath here.

Will Morris contribute? I have no doubt. Is he a good, solid, all-around RB who can help out on S/T's? Sure. But good Lord, like he's some secret (but somehow proven!) legit running back - this is asinine and beneath the generally sensible Patriot fan-base. Breathe, people.

I agree.

Morris does not have the cutting ability of Maroney. He cannot turn the corner like Maroney or Faulk can. He cannot overpower tacklers like Dillon could. He does not have the vision that Maroney, Faulk or Dillon have. He is not as effective an in-line blocker as Evans is.

What he can do is bounce off some tacklers, sometimes. He can make some tacklers miss, sometimes. He can stop a blitzer, or, if there is nobody to stop, find space in the flat and make a catch, usually. He is a somewhat overpaid jack of all trades, but a master of none.

If Maroney had no health issues at all going forward, then Morris would be an excellent versatility back, who can save the team a roster spot. Since that is not the case, however, I had hoped that the FO would sign, or trade for, a RB who has starting-calibre talent with experience, or at least potential; or, having failed to do so, would draft a power-back of the future. Is Sammy Morris the former, and Justice Hairston the latter? I hope so.

In the meantime, Lawrence Maroney needs to learn how to better lower his shoulder pads and turn his torso, in order to avoid harder hits, and to fall forward for positive yardage.

LOL You have no life.

I have no life because I took 5 minutes to post quotations from one page of the thread that completely back up my point and refute your baseless one? Um...okay.

I have no life because I took 5 minutes to post quotations from one page of the thread that completely back up my point and refute your baseless one? Um...okay.

The fact is you took 5 minutes to make a fool of yourself once again.

You have no point so dont try and say you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back