PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are 34 and 43 looks more balanced in 2014?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ripatsfan91

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
IIRC, 2011 the year we signed Andre Carter and Mark Anderson to bookend our line was the shift to more 43 looks and less 34. This trend has continued since we drafted Chandler Jones and Hightower in the 1st round. But this year, more so than others, seems to be a very versatile defense... especially after the draft.

Chris Jones, Tommy Kelly, Easley, Armstead (if he gets healthy) can all play 34 end. Wilfork and Siliga can hold down the job of a nose.

Chandler Jones, Nink, Collins, and Buchannan all would be 34 OLBs. With Mayo/Hightower/Anderson manning the 34 ILB spots. Hightower could probably play both inside and outside in a 34 (might not be the best fit for him).

Kelly/Chris J - Wilfork/Siliga - Easley/Armstead

Collins/Nink - Hightower/Anderson - Mayo/Beauharnais - Chan Jones/Buchannan

Do you think this is the year where we return to see more equal looks in the 34 as we do 43?

I like the premise, but a couple of small quibbles. I'd argue that Hightower's actually better suited to play a 3-4 base as SILB than a 4-3. Also, I'm not sure that Chandler Jones would make a great 34 OLB. He might actually be better suited to play DE in a 3-4, but he's definitely a bit of a tweener there. Also, I don't think Easley would do well at all as a 3-4 DE.

IMO, Kelly, Ninkovich, and Mayo are the three guys in the front 7 who would be equally good in either a 34 or 43. Hightower and Wilfork are more effective in a 3-4, while Jones, Collins, and Easley are more effective in a 4-3. Based on that assumption, I think the Pats are better suited to play a 4-3 (realistically, a 4-2-5 nickel more often than not) as a base, but they have enough versatility that even the guys who are better suited for a 4-3 *can* play in a 2001-2008-style, two-gapping 3-4.

If I had to guess, though, I think we'll see what we saw for most of 2011-2012, especially if Wilfork is back to anything close to full health, which is a hybrid scheme where the only real distinction is in whether or not Ninkovich happens to have a hand in the dirt or not. The 4-3 that the Patriots play isn't necessarily all that different from a 3-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes