PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Appreciate our kicking game

Status
Not open for further replies.
2015 AFCCG
2016 SB
2017 SB

Yup, currently has a 3 year streak of missing a cruical extrapoint in our final game of the year.

We're lucky we were able to make the 2-PT conversions vs. Atlanta and had Brady led the team to a TD against the Eagles, we would have had to go for 2 to tie the game still.

For the past 2 decades we’ve had 2 great kickers (minus shayne graham). I just look at what the Steelers are dealing with now. Boswell sucks (and it’s year 1 into a 5 year 20 mil extension). Now they’ve shut him down and signed a new kicker for the rest of the season.

The funny thing is that we had the next best kicker in the NYFL (Robbie Gould) here and let him to go to keep Vinatieri, who soonafter dumped the Pats for greener pa$ture$ and became an Indiot.

I remember him missing an xp in the super bowl....:rolleyes:...indoors...:rolleyes:

I remember Vinatieri missing two FG's in the 2003 SB that forced the Pats to have to come from behind to win the game.

Gostkowski hits the ball longer and more accurately than AV. If we still had Vinatieri we'd have to have another kicker for kickoffs.

Vinatieri has now played more games for Indy than he did here. He's an Indiot now.

Just look at the responses in here. Under appreciated when numbers show he’s one of the better kickers in the game. This is foreshadowing similar threads years down the road when we’re comparing our next QB to brady.

The only clutch kick I recall Gostkowski missing was a last second one against Arizona several years ago that lost the game. Missing the kicks in the Dolphins game came back to bite them but neither were crucial at the time (unless we define every kick as crucial) - they only became critical because of how the game ended. Vinatieri missed playoff kicks as well but because the Pats came back to win they got overlooked.

The only clutch kick I recall Gostkowski missing was a last second one against Arizona several years ago that lost the game. Missing the kicks in the Dolphins game came back to bite them but neither were crucial at the time (unless we define every kick as crucial) - they only became critical because of how the game ended. Vinatieri missed playoff kicks as well but because the Pats came back to win they got overlooked.

Vinatieri also made the 2 GW kicks in the Super Bowl and the snow kick in the divisional round. Legendary kicker . Ghost misses have been pointed out in this thread but he also hasn’t gotten the type of GW chances Adam got.

He's missed 2 in the last 2 Super Bowls. Every play in a SB is critical. Especially attempts for points (FG/XP).

The FG he missed last year was due to a bad snap. XP was on him. If the expectation is that he never misses in the post season then obviously he is not very clutch and no one else is either. As stated - he has not been given chances to make the winning kick at the end of a playoff game.

If not Gostkowski, we could have had 14 years of Robbie Gould. people forget he was brought in in 2005 as camp competition for AV. Adam won the job and the Bears signed Gould....
Maybe we can make a deal with the Steelers. We'll let them know who we have at the top of our kickers board if they tell us who they have on their receivers board....

EDIT- missed 1960Pats post on this when I posted this...

Last edited:
IDK. I've always supported Ghost even when he had issues because, "who ya gonna get?" to replace him? But I was at the Miami game where he missed two make-able kicks (one a friggin extra point and one a very make-able figgie) that ultimately cost us the game (along with two bone-headed "plays" at the end of both halves). For the first time I thought, "this guy is officially unreliable," and I hope the Pats at least bring in someone to challenge him in TC and if they can find a kid that's better (or at least looks better at that point) I don't know if I'd keep him. And I am in the camp that it's hard to find a good kicker.
I've had my car for 12 years and just decided it was unreliable.

Don't know what you got til it's gone.

Let's go pick up whoever's available. Gotta be better, right?

Ghost misses have been pointed out in this thread but he also hasn’t gotten the type of GW chances Adam got.

And yet. . . .

Vinatieri in the 4th quarter and OT, w/Patriots:
59/72, 81.9% (regular season)
11/14, 78.6% (playoffs)

Vinatieri in the 4th quarter and OT, w/Colts:
82/93, 88.2% (regular season)
6/7, 85.7% (playoffs)

Gostkowski in the 4th quarter and OT, career:
108/113, 95.6% (regular season)
11/12, 91.7% (playoffs)

IDK. I've always supported Ghost even when he had issues because, "who ya gonna get?" to replace him? But I was at the Miami game where he missed two make-able kicks (one a friggin extra point and one a very make-able figgie) that ultimately cost us the game (along with two bone-headed "plays" at the end of both halves). For the first time I thought, "this guy is officially unreliable," and I hope the Pats at least bring in someone to challenge him in TC and if they can find a kid that's better (or at least looks better at that point) I don't know if I'd keep him. And I am in the camp that it's hard to find a good kicker.
'Challenging' a guy in TC is not remotely an accurate predictor of future results. The corpses of kickers who have challenged guys in TC and won litter the landscape.

I remember Vinatieri missing two FG's in the 2003 SB that forced the Pats to have to come from behind to win the game.

Gostkowski hits the ball longer and more accurately than AV. If we still had Vinatieri we'd have to have another kicker for kickoffs.

Vinatieri has now played more games for Indy than he did here. He's an Indiot now.

Vinateiri is amazing, but he wouldn't last this long if he wasn't in a dome. Smart move by him.

I've had my car for 12 years and just decided it was unreliable.
What a coincidence. I just replaced my 2010 car because it has a lot of miles on it, it's making some funny sounds, showing some rust and the tires keep losing air. It's okay to think about replacing something if what you have is no longer working for you. Isn't that BB's way of life?

'Challenging' a guy in TC is not remotely an accurate predictor of future results. The corpses of kickers who have challenged guys in TC and won litter the landscape.
All true, and as I said in my original post I have always defended the Ghost (who looked good yesterday). But it really irks me when he misses easy kicks, almost always at a very inopportune time. He's supposed to be the best, and he's always right up there, but his misses feel like they are impacting the team, particularly in a year when the O hasn't been its best.

All true, and as I said in my original post I have always defended the Ghost (who looked good yesterday). But it really irks me when he misses easy kicks, almost always at a very inopportune time. He's supposed to be the best, and he's always right up there, but his misses feel like they are impacting the team, particularly in a year when the O hasn't been its best.

I think that's more a reflection of your expectations than of Gostkowski's abilities.

There really is no such thing as a truly consistent kicker. If you look at the kickers who've stuck around for a while, they almost all have seasons 20% below their best seasons (e.g., if they make 95% one season, they make 75% in another). Even Justin Tucker's already had a season 15% worse than his best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes