Appreciate our kicking game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ras-IR Dowling

2022 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
For the past 2 decades we’ve had 2 great kickers (minus shayne graham). I just look at what the Steelers are dealing with now. Boswell sucks (and it’s year 1 into a 5 year 20 mil extension). Now they’ve shut him down and signed a new kicker for the rest of the season.

It’s really hard to find reliable kickers. Even somewhat consistently good kickers are tough to find. Which is why it’s always so nuts when fans want to dump Gostkowkski in favor of some random college kid or veteran on the street

Has he missed a few crucial kicks? Yes. He’s also converted crucial kicks at a higher than expected rate if you go by recent kicking averages. He’s had far more “big game” kicks than the average kicker due to the Pats success so he has a significant sample size, a lot of these “equal or better” kickers have a very limited “big moment” data set so its easy for them to look good by comparison.

Finding a better kicker will be very difficult to do. Not sure why so many think he’s an issue. There are a couple of guys I would take over him but they miss crucial kicks too (Tucker being an obvious example)

For the past 2 decades we’ve had 2 great kickers (minus shayne graham). I just look at what the Steelers are dealing with now. Boswell sucks (and it’s year 1 into a 5 year 20 mil extension). Now they’ve shut him down and signed a new kicker for the rest of the season.

Gostkowski's AAV has been only $100k more than Boswell's

Gostkowski's AAV has been only $100k more than Boswell's

I’m gonna count this year as a one off for Boswell. Normally he makes 85-90% of his kicks (65% this year). His struggles look mental. Once that confidence goes as a kicker, your screwed.

they’re saying farewell to boswell

Has he missed a few crucial kicks? Yes. He’s also converted crucial kicks at a higher than expected rate if you go by recent kicking averages. He’s had far more “big game” kicks than the average kicker due to the Pats success so he has a significant sample size, a lot of these “equal or better” kickers have a very limited “big moment” data set so its easy for them to look good by comparison.

All of that said, the switch from Vinatieri to Gostkowski (2006) roughly coincided with Tom Brady becoming TFB (2007). As a result, Gostkowski has rarely had the chance to make the high-leverage kicks Vinatieri did.

All of that said, the switch from Vinatieri to Gostkowski (2006) roughly coincided with Tom Brady becoming TFB (2007). As a result, Gostkowski has rarely had the chance to make the high-leverage kicks Vinatieri did.

Winning a big game that depends on a kick in the waning seconds of regulation makes for exciting television, but probably isn't the best strategy for managing games.

But our kicker seems to miss fg and xp in the biggest of games....

if the game comes down to a kick, the O or the D or both messed up at some point. Missing the XP and the FG cost us the Miami game. But Brady also messed up the half time drive. A blown coverage. so many plays.

Ghost in the playoffs (25 games)

X/p 94-98 95%
Fg 34/38 90%

Just because it seems that way doesn’t make it true.

2015 AFCCG
2016 SB
2017 SB

He's the kicker version of Peyton Manning (and gave that choker another ring in 2015).

Thank goodness he missed the xp in Super Bowl 51. Don't need numbnuts blowing their chances at a comeback.

Should have had 3 Gostowski.

I dont trust him in big games.

2015 AFCCG
2016 SB
2017 SB

He's the kicker version of Peyton Manning (and gave that choker another ring in 2015).

Thank goodness he missed the xp in Super Bowl 51. Don't need numbnuts blowing their chances at a comeback.

He also lost us home field at Miami this year. Although to be fair, the same can be said about Brady and the 10 defenders + Gronk on the field at the end of regulation, plus the entire coaching staff...

He also lost us home field at Miami this year. Although to be fair, the same can be said about Brady and the 10 defenders + Gronk on the field at the end of regulation, plus the entire coaching staff...

The last part said it all. Up 5 the defense (and the defensive alignment they were in) blew the game. They should’ve known an injured tanny couldn’t get the ball 70 yards downfield.

Ghost has had a tough few years lately with kicking. With that said there's only 1 kicker I'd take over Ghost and that's Justin Tucker. The rest are no better or just as random with misses as Ghost.

2015 AFCCG
2016 SB
2017 SB

He was part of the reason in 2015 afcc but not the biggest reason for the loss. Our OL was in shambles and Denver’s DL feasted. Plus we allowed the ghost of Owen Daniels to get us twice for tds.

The last part said it all. Up 5 the defense (and the defensive alignment they were in) blew the game. They should’ve known an injured tanny couldn’t get the ball 70 yards downfield.

I always forget that was a 5 point lead because we ended up losing by 1.

IDK. I've always supported Ghost even when he had issues because, "who ya gonna get?" to replace him? But I was at the Miami game where he missed two make-able kicks (one a friggin extra point and one a very make-able figgie) that ultimately cost us the game (along with two bone-headed "plays" at the end of both halves). For the first time I thought, "this guy is officially unreliable," and I hope the Pats at least bring in someone to challenge him in TC and if they can find a kid that's better (or at least looks better at that point) I don't know if I'd keep him. And I am in the camp that it's hard to find a good kicker.

Ghost in the playoffs (25 games)

X/p 94-98 95%
Fg 34/38 90%

Just because it seems that way doesn’t make it true.
I remember him missing an xp in the super bowl....:rolleyes:...indoors...:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back