PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Appears BB got an extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill's Girl said:
Does anyone read.......:confused: From the article:

Per his policy, the Patriots chairman and CEO would not discuss specifics concerning Bill Belichick's contract situation, but for the first time he indicated that a contract extension or a new contract is in place.

While we can all agree that it is possible that a new Belichick contract or extension has been executed or is imminent, the above text is an opinion from a Globe columnist who is reaching when he states categorically that the Pat's CEO has indicated a new contract or extension "is in place".

groundgame said:
Bill's Girl said:
Does anyone read.......:confused: From the article:

Per his policy, the Patriots chairman and CEO would not discuss specifics concerning Bill Belichick's contract situation, but for the first time he indicated that a contract extension or a new contract is in place.

While we can all agree that it is possible that a new Belichick contract or extension has been executed or is imminent, the above text is an opinion from a Globe columnist who is reaching when he states categorically that the Pat's CEO has indicated a new contract or extension "is in place".

Bob Kraft is the one intimating that a new deal "is in place," not Jerome Solomon.

PatsFanSince74 said:
I've read the book from cover to cover. Amazing book by an amazing author, with many lessons. One takeaway is that BB's main desire in life is to be in an environment where he can coach football his way and build a team the way he wants to, surrounded by the people he chooses. In that sense, I agree with you that Money is by no means his prime passion or driver, but, by the same token, I didn't take away the impression that good money couldn't be part of that environment for him, if the other stuff was in place, or that he isn't moved by money (especially post divorce???). My other takeaway from the book is that BB feels, rightly so, that he hasn't always been treated fairly by ownership and management. I could easily see him coming to the conclusion that the other HC's in the NFL are light years behind him, that he is truly walking in the shoes of Brown and Halas and Walsh as a mold-breaking, precedent-setting football mind, and deciding that he is worth multiples of what others are being paid and then taking the money as long as he has control (which he did not have as "HC of the NY Jets") and the owner creates the right circumstances. I don't have the impression that his relationship with Kraft is a love affair, but rather a marriage of convenience which continues as long as each gets what he needs. The other thing I take from Halberstam's book is that every career move that has been under Belichick's control has been carefully calculated by Belichick and has always been in his self interest, even it means saying no to people he likes. Not to harp on Paul Allen, but the man was smart enough to build Microsoft from scratch (Gates was the geek; Allen was the marketing and organizational brains.) would be smart enough to figure out that "success" = "a happy, independent and well-supported BB" and otherwise stay out of his way.

Bills Girl answers you better than I could. Let me add that as you pointed out, Bill perhaps was not treated very well by some past employers, and having control of his team is very important. He has both those factors here with the Krafts. Multiple sources will consistantly tell you that the message for this team is the same from top to bottom. Everyone is on the same page, from the Krafts to the towel boy. Now I'm not saying that they all sing in the bathtub together, and I'm sure they butt heads from time to time, but they ultimately all agree to the same master plan for their organization. With that sort of working atmosphere, plus a summer home in Nantucket, his kids in school nearby, a Fan base that will drink any color Kool-aid that Bill tells us to, insightful and supportive media,(woops went a little overboard there!) Scratch that last one and why would he want to go elsewhere and start all over again? Side note on the lousy media here in Boston - Look how they've countered that somewhat by having their own PVN, and PFW for their fans! Smart marketing by Jonathan Kraft! :D

PATSNUTme said:
How many months and days?:D

As many months and days as he wants, Nut!! ;)

Singing in the bathtub, PatsChick 87, where do I sign up for that?

PatsChick87 said:
Bills Girl answers you better than I could. Let me add that as you pointed out, Bill perhaps was not treated very well by some past employers, and having control of his team is very important. He has both those factors here with the Krafts. Multiple sources will consistantly tell you that the message for this team is the same from top to bottom. Everyone is on the same page, from the Krafts to the towel boy. Now I'm not saying that they all sing in the bathtub together, and I'm sure they butt heads from time to time, but they ultimately all agree to the same master plan for their organization. With that sort of working atmosphere, plus a summer home in Nantucket, his kids in school nearby, a Fan base that will drink any color Kool-aid that Bill tells us to, insightful and supportive media,(woops went a little overboard there!) Scratch that last one and why would he want to go elsewhere and start all over again? Side note on the lousy media here in Boston - Look how they've countered that somewhat by having their own PVN, and PFW for their fans! Smart marketing by Jonathan Kraft! :D

Very thoughtful post and hard to argue with in the sense that no one can say what ultimately might drive the decisions another human being might make one, two, five years from now. All we have is what that human being allows us to know of him/her, especially if they are a public figure and we are in the long run left to speculate on what is "really" going on. My only point is that we shouldn't assume too much based on the one dimensional view we have into BB's decision process. There's a lot of evidence to support what you suggest. There's also evidence that suggests a more complex guy. Does he emulate his dad by staying in one place because of an excellent fit. Or does, he honor his memory by breaking new ground not only on the field but in the (in this case monetary) value that is placed on his accomplishments by a market that was not always friendly to both of them. We can only guess.

Bottom line, one thing we agree on is that we would like to see Belichick in Foxboro until he retires so we can celebrate three or four more Lombardis (which would then be named "Belichicks").

Thanks again for your thoughtful comments.

Bill's Girl said:
As many months and days as he wants, Nut!! ;)

Singing in the bathtub, PatsChick 87, where do I sign up for that?

It's been reported that after the game on Sun at the RCA dome, Payton and his O line were headed there instead of hitting the showers! :singing: :singing:

This is a perfect position for Belichick, near to Wesleyan where his daughter is and which is also important to him independent of that, plus his kids are in Boston and he reportedly loves Nantucket.

Coaching championship-level football with a great owner who Belichick has said contributes directly in some of the important player contracts and business-side of the team, and it's likely a lot more important than the money. I would guess this will be Belichick's last head coaching position if the Pat's performance continues at a very high level.

Kraft also sets high ethical and moral standards for the coaches and players, which over the long haul has probably been very beneficial.

Last edited:
lobster said:
This is a perfect position for Belichick, near to Wesleyan where his daughter is and which is also important to him independent of that, plus his kids are in Boston and he reportedly loves Nantucket.

Coaching championship-level football with a great owner who Belichick has said contributes directly in some of the important player contracts and business-side of the team, and it's likely a lot more important than the money. I would guess this will be Belichick's last head coaching position if the Pat's performance continues at a very high level.

Kraft also sets high ethical and moral standards for the coaches and players, which over the long haul has probably been very beneficial.

Nantucket huh?

I once knew a man from Nantucket...

...Oh nevermind!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft