PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Appears BB got an extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kraft said yesterday, however, that any representation of next season as the final year of Belichick's contract would be untrue.

''It's our intention that Bill will be the coach for some time," Kraft said. ''Bill Belichick and his staff have done a great job. In many ways, the coaching job this year was his most outstanding.
By the way, is it legal to have a person sign a 'until the day you die' contract? If it is, we need to get Kraft on that.

Can we get Donald Yee, Esquire on the phone and double check that?

Where you been......we were talking about this yesterday! Good news in the wake of an early offseason!

Oh, you were talking about his contract. I thought that he may be having surgery.

Yea, that was yesterday's news.

Last edited:
I guess I missed yesterday's news. I was out of the football loop yesterday.

Patti37 said:
I guess I missed yesterday's news. I was out of the football loop yesterday.
I missed it too. There's nothing in that quote which makes me think he's definitiely signed beyond this year though.

BelichickFan said:
I missed it too. There's nothing in that quote which makes me think he's definitiely signed beyond this year though.

its funny how the Pats take care of alot of the details but send out a Press release..where the Red Sox..if someone farts its major news...

BelichickFan said:

Here is the article from the Globe:
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/01/18/kraft_tries_to_look_on_the_bright_side/

This is the highlight:

Per his policy, the Patriots chairman and CEO would not discuss specifics concerning Bill Belichick's contract situation, but for the first time he indicated that a contract extension or a new contract is in place.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
By the way, is it legal to have a person sign a 'until the day you die' contract? If it is, we need to get Kraft on that.
Sure, it's called "holy matrimony". :D

Agree with everyone that this is old news, but the thing that scares me is that one of these owners with more money than the US mint (think Paul Allen with $21 bbbbillion dollars mas or menos depending on how Microsoft closed today if Mike Holmgren doesn't get the job done on Sunday) makes BB and Scott Pioli a ridiculous offer, like ten a year for BB and 5 or 6 for Scott. I mean, how do they say no to that? It wouldn't be "economically rational" from a cash flow standpoint (not that Paul Allen spends too much time worrying about his cash flow) but the value that the investment would add to the Seattle Franchise would make the salaries look like peanuts.

PatsFanSince74 said:
Agree with everyone that this is old news, but the thing that scares me is that one of these owners with more money than the US mint (think Paul Allen with $21 bbbbillion dollars mas or menos depending on how Microsoft closed today if Mike Holmgren doesn't get the job done on Sunday) makes BB and Scott Pioli a ridiculous offer, like ten a year for BB and 5 or 6 for Scott. I mean, how do they say no to that? It wouldn't be "economically rational" from a cash flow standpoint (not that Paul Allen spends too much time worrying about his cash flow) but the value that the investment would add to the Seattle Franchise would make the salaries look like peanuts.
Read Education of a Coach and you'll have your answer. Money isn't a motivating(sp?) factor for Bill. Pioli I'm not so sure, but Kraft certainly has made the working conditions difficult to top!

PatsFanSince74 said:

Interesting post. I thought of various ways to counter it, but came up with nothing. It's just about the free enterprise system we live in. Still, doesn't all that rain out there mold your brain after a while? :p

Thinking about it some more, the numbers you mention for Belichick and Pioli might not be any more out of line than the 2.5 Mil (was it?) Mangini got.

Edit, I hadn't seen PatChick's response. Maybe BB's styling dress habit with the grey hooded should have clued me in also.

Last edited:
PatsChick87 said:
Read Education of a Coach and you'll have your answer. Money isn't a motivating(sp?) factor for Bill. Pioli I'm not so sure, but Kraft certainly has made the working conditions difficult to top!

I've read the book from cover to cover. Amazing book by an amazing author, with many lessons. One takeaway is that BB's main desire in life is to be in an environment where he can coach football his way and build a team the way he wants to, surrounded by the people he chooses. In that sense, I agree with you that Money is by no means his prime passion or driver, but, by the same token, I didn't take away the impression that good money couldn't be part of that environment for him, if the other stuff was in place, or that he isn't moved by money (especially post divorce???). My other takeaway from the book is that BB feels, rightly so, that he hasn't always been treated fairly by ownership and management. I could easily see him coming to the conclusion that the other HC's in the NFL are light years behind him, that he is truly walking in the shoes of Brown and Halas and Walsh as a mold-breaking, precedent-setting football mind, and deciding that he is worth multiples of what others are being paid and then taking the money as long as he has control (which he did not have as "HC of the NY Jets") and the owner creates the right circumstances. I don't have the impression that his relationship with Kraft is a love affair, but rather a marriage of convenience which continues as long as each gets what he needs. The other thing I take from Halberstam's book is that every career move that has been under Belichick's control has been carefully calculated by Belichick and has always been in his self interest, even it means saying no to people he likes. Not to harp on Paul Allen, but the man was smart enough to build Microsoft from scratch (Gates was the geek; Allen was the marketing and organizational brains.) would be smart enough to figure out that "success" = "a happy, independent and well-supported BB" and otherwise stay out of his way.

..."Kraft said yesterday, however, that any representation of next season as the final year of Belichick's contract would be untrue...
''It's our intention that Bill will be the coach for some time," Kraft said. ''Bill Belichick and his staff have done a great job. In many ways, the coaching job this year was his most outstanding.

Note: How is the translation of the statement "It's our intention that Bill will be the coach for some time..." mean BB has signed an extension?

groundgame said:
..."Kraft said yesterday, however, that any representation of next season as the final year of Belichick's contract would be untrue...

Seems to me that line says he is HC for longer than one year at the least....

groundgame said:

Note: How is the translation of the statement "It's our intention that Bill will be the coach for some time..." mean BB has signed an extension?

Does anyone read.......:confused: From the article:

Per his policy, the Patriots chairman and CEO would not discuss specifics concerning Bill Belichick's contract situation, but for the first time he indicated that a contract extension or a new contract is in place.

Why are people bent on causing a stir about this??? The front headline really ticks me off.......aside from the fact that my heart stopped the first time I read it. The headline is right above this story that confirms that 2006 is NOT BB's last year here! Are things really that slow here that we need to make up our own controversy?? We are all smarter than this!

Bill has the perfect set up here in NE. He loves the area and has since he was a teenager. Secondly, his kids are in school here. For the first time in his career he has an owner who respects him and his work and allows him to run the team the way he sees fit. His dad spent 50 years with the Naval Acadamy because he liked his situation there, he did not jump at offers of head coaching positions with more money. I honestly don't think money is BB's master motivator.

I think he stays until he retires. His Dad retired when he was 67. I could deal with another 14 years of BB!

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Duh... how'd I miss that one. :)
Probably because you DO think there might be something wrong with that you nasty personaphobe! :rolleyes:

PromisedLand said:
Sure, it's called "holy matrimony". :D

No, that's called "until the day you wish you were dead".

Bill's Girl said:
Does anyone read.......:confused: From the article:

Why are people bent on causing a stir about this??? The front headline really ticks me off.......aside from the fact that my heart stopped the first time I read it. The headline is right above this story that confirms that 2006 is NOT BB's last year here! Are things really that slow here that we need to make up our own controversy?? We are all smarter than this!

Bill has the perfect set up here in NE. He loves the area and has since he was a teenager. Secondly, his kids are in school here. For the first time in his career he has an owner who respects him and his work and allows him to run the team the way he sees fit. His dad spent 50 years with the Naval Acadamy because he liked his situation there, he did not jump at offers of head coaching positions with more money. I honestly don't think money is BB's master motivator.

I think he stays until he retires. His Dad retired when he was 67. I could deal with another 14 years of BB!

How many months and days?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back