PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Apparently the 2023 opponent list is now set

Id say that’s not a cake schedule but I’m sure lots will change between now and September.
It is what it is:)

I dunno, I think that is a tough slate. Obviously the AFC East itself is in good shape. Then beyond that, they're playing the AFC East which is one of the best divisions top-to-bottom in the league right now, plus the Chiefs and Chargers (playoff teams) and the Raiders who will be a pain.

Put another way, here are all the games they have to play next year against teams that are playoff teams in 2022:

Buffalo
Buffalo
Miami
Miami
Kansas City
Los Angeles Chargers
Philadelphia
Dallas
New York Giants
- 9 games

Then here are the games against teams that were within 1 game of making the playoffs in 2022:

Jets
Jets
Commanders
Steelers
- 4 games
If we cannot beat most of them then we do not belong in the playoffs... a tough schedule makes for a better playoff team imo. Our division was so weak for many years ... the out of division teams were always best for us...

IMO

If we cannot beat most of them then we do not belong in the playoffs... a tough schedule makes for a better playoff team imo. Our division was so weak for many years ... the out of division teams were always best for us...

IMO
I hear ya. After looking at it again, a lot of the games are against teams that just barely made the postseason at the lower end, or just barely missed the postseason. Good teams to test yourself against, if you can beat almost all of them then you belong - if you can’t then you don’t.

Since the Pats have a 3rd place schedule. . . .

Home:
BUF/MIA/JEST
NFC East: WAS, PHI
AFC West: KC, LAC
3rd place: IND, NO

Edit: There is a significant chance that one of the above games could be played in Germany.

And that would suck. As a season ticket holder I WANT that ninth home game AT HOME. I don't give a flying crap about the NFL's cash grab in Germany.

just look at the QBs....Allen x2, hurts, Mahomes, Herbert, Prescott, and maybe even pickett.... theres 6-7 guaranteed losses based on the Pats performance vs quality quarterbacks post Brady...

Vegas sounds cool. Same with Denver. May need to do a road trip as my GB trip got nixed this year.

And that would suck. As a season ticket holder I WANT that ninth home game AT HOME. I don't give a flying crap about the NFL's cash grab in Germany.
FWIW, Kraft said that the team enjoyed their two trips to London so much that they would be willing to go every year—as the away team.

It looks tough right now but this year's schedule also looked tough whenever it came out. But if we simply would've beaten the horrible Raiders and Bears we could've been 10-7 with just one win against a winning team (Miami, with their backup Qb). Hopefully some of the NFC east teams take a step back.

My way-too-early prognostication based on the assumption that the Pats hire Bill O'Brien and fire Cam Achord:

Sweep Jete
Get swept by Bills
Go 1-1 with Dolphins
vs Commanders - WIN
vs Eagles - LOSS
vs Chiefs - LOSS
vs Chargers - WIN
vs Colts - WIN
vs Saints - WIN
at Cowboys - LOSS
at Giants - WIN
at Broncos - WIN
at Raiders - WIN
at Steelers - WIN

Season record: 11-6

5-3 on the road usually gets you in the playoffs. From your keyboard...

IMO
Oh oh, here comes the study showing the Patriots had the same record against the AFCE as they had against the rest of the league as they had in the playoffs: 74%...

Over 20 years, this means that they didn't really benefit from a weak AFCE. And the record of the 3 AFCE teams was in the middle of the league when you compare them to the 3 worst teams of each division.

I just find it odd that these teams suddenly became contenders when the Patriots weren't winning 4 or 5 division games anymore.

Its difficult to predict the outcome bcs so much can and will change until next season, not only can and will the Pats improve, but also major injuries and player availability can change the outcome of a game that seems a cakewalk at first sight or seems like a defeat from the start go

if the Pats take the necessary changes and improvements during the off-season PO is easily in play

I think we might split buffalo next year.. but also with nyj

We don't know what this team's going to do in the offseason but I have to assume some improvements will be made.

Regardless that's a pretty tough schedule and if I had to make a prediction I'd say the record probably won't be much different than it was this year.

Herbert is due for a win against us

Mahomes isn't gonna lose to us

Allen will probably sweep us again

And for some reason I feel Wilson and Denver will bounce back next year. Wilson has played well against Belichick in the past, so we will have to see if he steps up next year

Obviously our roster decisions matter as well.

Will Kendrick Bourne be traded, sadly? Will we keep Matt Patricia or get Kliff Kingsbury (ugh)?
What about our tackles? Our TE AND WR group are probably locked in. I like our RB group.

And will teams still target Mac's tendencies? How much of the offensive woes were partially on Mac? In games where the offense opened up and he threw downfield, he threw interceptions.

Since the Pats have a 3rd place schedule. . . .

Home:
BUF/MIA/JEST
NFC East: WAS, PHI
AFC West: KC, LAC
3rd place: IND, NO

Edit: There is a significant chance that one of the above games could be played in Germany.

Away:
Home: BUF/MIA/JEST
NFC East: DAL, NYG
AFC West: DEN, LV
3rd place: PIT
3-13 with Mac Jones we are playing winning Teams and not crap Teams.

was looking at the schedule ... just a random thought...

The Pats are > .500 vs 9 teams in the league... 49ers, Chiefs, Cowboys, Panthers, Seahawks, Broncos, Commanders, Eagles, Dolphins & the steelers...

The steelers, eagles and commanders all have a one game lead in the head to head franchise records... so theoretically, with wins vs all three, we could pull even with them... making us .500 or better verses 24 teams in the NFL... puts us 1 behind Miami (5) and on par with Dallas (6) and maybe one other team, but i cant remember off the top of my head... pretty cool...

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back