PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone with good access to penalty stats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJDChE

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I'm wondering how our OLine penalties are faring this year compared to years past. It seems to me like they are way up. I'm not that surprised about holding considering these guys are pretty green, but it feels like the false start penalties have been even worse. That's the one that surprises me. The way unforced errors and special teams miscues have been plaguing this team lately is really bugging me. If anything, I think that's what will take this team down. That, or some big play that gets called back on a phantom penalty. One of those two. :)

I think penalties are the least of our OLines worries. Not being able to block is a bigger concern.

I'm wondering how our OLine penalties are faring this year compared to years past. It seems to me like they are way up. I'm not that surprised about holding considering these guys are pretty green, but it feels like the false start penalties have been even worse. That's the one that surprises me. The way unforced errors and special teams miscues have been plaguing this team lately is really bugging me. If anything, I think that's what will take this team down. That, or some big play that gets called back on a phantom penalty. One of those two. :)

This site keeps track of all penalties.

NFL Penalties - 2015 League Penalty Stats - View by Total - NFL Penalty Stats Tracker - List/Statistics/Data of NFL Penalties - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

Brandon Browner is synonymous sorry couldn't resist.:D

They are not way up.

Andrews, Jackson and Mason have combined for only 6 holding calls all year.

False starts by OL
'14- 14
'15- 8

So false starts by the OL are down 42.9% from last year.

Last edited:
According to the site the Pats are tied for the fifth lowest number of penalties called against them. As expected, Ryan's undisciplined group is tied for the most penalties.

This year

Week 1
Solder- unneccessary rougheness, holding

Week 2
Andrews- false start, holding
Kline- false start, holding

Week 3
Andrews- false start

Week 5
No penalties on OL

Week 6
Vollmer- illegal hands

Week 7
Fleming- holding

Week 8
Fleming- illegal downfield, false start
Kline- clipping

Week 9
Stork- holding
Vollmer- illegal formation

Week 10
Andrews- holding

Week 11
Cannon- false start, illegal formation, holding
Andrews- false start
Vollmer- holding
Stork- holding

Week 12
Vollmer- illegal hands
Jackson- holding

Week 13
Vollmer- illegal block
Stork- holding
Mason- holding

Week 14
Jackson- holding
Cannon- false start

Week 15
Mason- holding
Kline- false start

Week 16
Stork- holding

Week 17
Cannon- illegal hands
Kline- holding

Pats were the least penalized pre-snap team this year.

Hmmm...my memory is clearly failing me in my old age.

Hmmm...my memory is clearly failing me in my old age.

As @JMC00 has pointed out in previous threads, it is not so much the penalties as it is the non-calls.

Another stat that I think JMC pointed out is that the Patriots are or were leading in "big play" penalties.

An example of that would be the Denver game. Both had about the same amount of penalties for similar yards but clearly the Patriots had the disadvantage in that game in terms of officiating.

An example of that would be the Denver game. Both had about the same amount of penalties for similar yards but clearly the Patriots had the disadvantage in that game in terms of officiating.

Case in point

Game was 21-14 with 12 minutes to go

1st play of the drive illegal hands to the face. Same drive 3rd and 11 Brady goes deep to Martin for 51 yards to the Den 30. Flagged for holding.

Then on the drive where denver took the lead, missed call hold on the pass to thomas and then no call on illegal hands to the face on the TD

I can't help but think of that scene "That a Paddling" in the Simpsons and use it for the Refs who officiate the Patriots..

Scoring a TD... That's a penalty
Getting a big play... That's a penalty
Gronk catches a pass? Oh you better believe that's a penalty.

Last edited:
Definitely one of the classic Simpsons scenes.

RBJrqWL.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back