PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone Left On PUP? Who Is Likely To be Put On IR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Is anyone still eligible for the PUP list? Who is likely to be put on IR (before and after the cut to 53)?

Nobody is on Active/PUP so the answer to question 1 is no.

I'd have to assume Wynn goes to IR. Hard to keep track of who else is banged up but usually some bubble/never had a chance guys get waived/injured, revert to our IR, and get released with an injury settlement soon after. We've done that quite a few times this offseason already.

Nobody is on Active/PUP so the answer to question 1 is no.

I'd have to assume Wynn goes to IR. Hard to keep track of who else is banged up but usually some bubble/never had a chance guys get waived/injured, revert to our IR, and get released with an injury settlement soon after. We've done that quite a few times this offseason already.

I don't remember that being the case any time in the last 10 years. No one on PUP to start the season? The issue with injuries this year is that they all appear to be season-ending. Feck.

I don't remember that being the case any time in the last 10 years. No one on PUP to start the season? The issue with injuries this year is that they all appear to be season-ending. Feck.

Since I started following every transaction in the 2010 offseason, I haven't seen it either. I also haven't seen a year where no undrafted rookie makes the team, but I think we're headed there (not sold on JC Jackson).

Since I started following every transaction in the 2010 offseason, I haven't seen it either. I also haven't seen a year where no undrafted rookie makes the team, but I think we're headed there (not sold on JC Jackson).

Unusually poor crop of undrafted guys this year, Jackson seems like the only one with any chance and even then he's looked like a waiver wire caliber player at a position with a lot of bodies.

Unusually poor crop of undrafted guys this year, Jackson seems like the only one with any chance and even then he's looked like a waiver wire caliber player at a position with a lot of bodies.

Yep. The one year we don't have some UDFA receiver tear up the preseason is, of course, the one year we could have used that.

According to my notes, Darren Andrews and Cody Hollister are on season-ending NFI, and Shane Wimann is on season-ending IR.

Berrios, Izzo and Webb have apparently gone into Witness Protection (perhaps testifying against Kendricks?). Media speculation is that they're being "hidden" so that the Pats can "sneak them onto the PS". Has that ever really worked?

As an FYI - only about 5% of all the players who've been on the Pats' PS have gone on to a long-term role on the 53-man roster (more than one season).

Anyway, I suppose that any or all of the three could be IR-candidates (I have no information, either way). I suppose there's a slim chance that one of them could be kept past cuts and sent to IR as "Eligible to Return". I have no idea why the Pats would do that with any of those guys, but it remains a possibility until it's not.

Langi disappeared from practice on or about August 7th. However, it was reported that he'd suffered an injury that would keep him out for 4-6 weeks (I don't recall what the injury was and didn't write it down). In this case, season-ending IR seems fairly likely, but IR-return remains a possibility.

Wynn seems almost certain to go to season-ending IR. The Pats could have done that a couple of weeks ago,but they apparently didn't need the roster spot. I think that means that Wynn continues to receive his Camp per diem, which he probably wouldn't if he was on IR right now, so maybe it was merely a nice gesture by the Pats.

Yep. The one year we don't have some UDFA receiver tear up the preseason is, of course, the one year we could have used that.
But none of those guys could have helped anyway.

Not that they exactly "tore it up", but Crossen and Izzo are kind of "virtual UDFAs". I haven't actually gone back to count, but I'd guess that 7th-round picks probably make the roster at about the same rate as UDFAs. The difference between a 7th-rounder and an actual UDFA is mostly symbolic anyway.

But none of those guys could have helped anyway.

Probably not. We saw what Thompkins and Sudfeld did after balling out in August. Still would give me more reason to believe in this offense than the literal vacancy there is now.

Not that they exactly "tore it up", but Crossen and Izzo are kind of "virtual UDFAs". I haven't actually gone back to count, but I'd guess that 7th-round picks probably make the roster at about the same rate as UDFAs. The difference between a 7th-rounder and an actual UDFA is mostly symbolic anyway.

Yeah, I can't say I care whether any UDFAs make it simply because they're undrafted. That's more of a trivial thing (which most of us already knew because the media won't shut up about it).

Even for Crossen and Izzo, I don't have either of them on my 53 (which of course means nothing since I don't work for the team). I like the way Crossen plays (I couldn't believe he was 5'10" when I looked it up, I thought he was as big as Browner) but there's a lot of fringe talent at that position currently and he doesn't seem as ready to play as Lewis, C. Jones.

Probably not. We saw what Thompkins and Sudfeld did after balling out in August. Still would give me more reason to believe in this offense than the literal vacancy there is now.
But that’s part of the weirdness here. We are worrying about wr5, and we rarely even keep a wr5 on the roster. Wr4 rarely plays.
The team has guys they wanted as their 4 WRs. There just never is this dynamic that people expect to happen where you have a bunch of great players sitting around in reserve in case the guys you chose fail.

I am quite certain that B.B. and McDaniels felt
1) Edelman is fine as the top target
2) hogan is fine as #2
3) Dorsett is an acceptable 3 (which he was for half of last season) or 4 providing he integrates better in year 2 which he seems to have
4) Patterson was signed to at least be aWR4 gadget play guy and ideally would be a good WR3 option.

We are so focused on the losers of the competition that we are not recognizing that the 4 WR spots that we have available are being filled by guys who are in exactly the role that was expected of them.
Which of the 4 look to be a flop in that role?

But that’s part of the weirdness here. We are worrying about wr5, and we rarely even keep a wr5 on the roster. Wr4 rarely plays.
The team has guys they wanted as their 4 WRs. There just never is this dynamic that people expect to happen where you have a bunch of great players sitting around in reserve in case the guys you chose fail.

I am quite certain that B.B. and McDaniels felt
1) Edelman is fine as the top target
2) hogan is fine as #2
3) Dorsett is an acceptable 3 (which he was for half of last season) or 4 providing he integrates better in year 2 which he seems to have
4) Patterson was signed to at least be aWR4 gadget play guy and ideally would be a good WR3 option.

We are so focused on the losers of the competition that we are not recognizing that the 4 WR spots that we have available are being filled by guys who are in exactly the role that was expected of them.
Which of the 4 look to be a flop in that role?

I worry less about the 4 we have and more about what happens if and when one or more of them miss time.

Yeah, I can't say I care whether any UDFAs make it simply because they're undrafted. That's more of a trivial thing (which most of us already knew because the media won't shut up about it).

Even for Crossen and Izzo, I don't have either of them on my 53 (which of course means nothing since I don't work for the team). I like the way Crossen plays (I couldn't believe he was 5'10" when I looked it up, I thought he was as big as Browner) but there's a lot of fringe talent at that position currently and he doesn't seem as ready to play as Lewis, C. Jones.

Yeah, something would likely need to happen with Allen for Izzo to make the 53. Crossen might squeak on through special teams.

I worry less about the 4 we have and more about what happens if and when one or more of them miss time.
When have we ever had more than 4?
People are freaking about over a potential injury disaster that would be the dam every year.

I would speculate that we may be in better shape than ever to cover that kind of calamity because we have Matthews and Britt waiting in the wings while they heal ( and possibly Mitchell too).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes