PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone got a Ryan Izzo film review?

Brotherblues

In the Starting Line-Up
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
It seems to me that every time I've seen him targeted, he makes a very clean catch regardless of if it's a perfect pass or if he has to stretch a bit. Has Lazar or anyone at all done any film review on him? Not saying we have a star on our hands but perhaps a TE who brings more to the table than the raw stats show.

He had a bad (horrible) fumble that expanded people's view that he was the tight end version of Jordan Richards.

But Izzo is a serviceable NFL tight end, albeit better as a backup.

Can both block and catch a little. Not great, but good enough.

Everybody cries for the rookies, but the season is over half over and Izzo still gets the snaps.

He had a bad (horrible) fumble that expanded people's view that he was the tight end version of Jordan Richards.

But Izzo is a serviceable NFL tight end, albeit better as a backup.

Can both block and catch a little. Not great, but good enough.

Everybody cries for the rookies, but the season is over half over and Izzo still gets the snaps.
Both the rookie TEs are injured, currently.

Keene is the better blocker of the two rookies. Asiasi the better pass-catcher. Unfortunately, they used the 2WR/1TE/2RB set more than the 1WR/2TE/2RB or the 2WR/2TE/1RB set. This has kept Asiasi off the field much to everyone's chagrin. It's also why some of us wish they'd use Harris and Michel more in the Passing game so it's less of a telegraph to opposing defenses.

To my eyes Izzo is fine. He’s not incredible but he’s serviceable. Of course I want to upgrade him if I can but I’m not really that bothered that he’s the guy right now. The rookies are hurt and probably wouldn’t be able to contribute very well anyway since the position is supposedly hard to learn in NE. Hopefully they get more snaps toward season’s end.

Both the rookie TEs are injured, currently.

Keene is the better blocker of the two rookies. Asiasi the better pass-catcher. Unfortunately, they used the 2WR/1TE/2RB set more than the 1WR/2TE/2RB or the 2WR/2TE/1RB set. This has kept Asiasi off the field much to everyone's chagrin. It's also why some of us wish they'd use Harris and Michel more in the Passing game so it's less of a telegraph to opposing defenses.
I will say that we seem to be running plenty of (successful) PA out of our 21 sets with Harris or Sony, so they aren’t necessarily a tell that we’re running. But I would to see how Harris is if we’re out of the gun with 11 personnel

you can only find Izzo in a silent film. Kind of sums up his time here. But hey, he has caught 10 of 16 passes thrown his way so atleast he’s averaging one per game so far

He's a #3 at best on a Contender...though I also would like to see him get more looks as a receiver, especially in a game during which he already has a catch under his belt, see if the momentum continues...But I also want to see what Jordan Thomas has to offer, if anything...There should be some familiarity with the Pats' version of E-P from his time in Houston, and besides he might like to "stick it" to the people who no longer wanted him there...

Soooooo, I may be on the crazy train here, but I really think Izzo is just fine as a #3 blocking TE that will sneak out for 1 big pass play a game.

What do we do with the rest of the TE position though. Too early to give up on Asiasi and Keene. But also want to upgrade the position. We’ve seen many cases where guys make sophomore/junior leaps.

Do sign/draft someone and keep 4 on the roster?

Do we upgrade and cut Izzo?

Can Keene develop into a TE/FB/HB?

Just thinking out loud.
Guess if we upgrade, makes Izzo expendable.

I will say that we seem to be running plenty of (successful) PA out of our 21 sets with Harris or Sony, so they aren’t necessarily a tell that we’re running. But I would to see how Harris is if we’re out of the gun with 11 personnel

This isn't remotely close to true. Play-Action has been something they haven't done a lot of in the last few games. The lack of it has been noted quite heavily on the board.

Izzo is likely going to be a career backup but plenty of players take a few years before they become anything so I remain hopeful.

This must be what it felt like to be a WR for the 49ers after Jerry Rice retired.

1 catch per game average, and below average blocking. Izzo is a total waste of snaps. Makes no sense why we aren't developing for the future.

Nothing against Izzo, I'm sure he's a hardworking guy and good teammate. He's just barely a NFL player.

This must be what it felt like to be a WR for the 49ers after Jerry Rice retired.

Not really. Ben Watson was the tight end last year. This OC hasn't valued tight ends for 15 years. Only because Bill O'Brien developed a HOF tight end in Gronk we used TEs, but you see the last 2 years it's what the OC really thinks, he does not value the tight end position at all especially in the passing game. Same thing from 2005-2008, and in St Louis, and in Denver, and now the last 2 years.

Interesting revisionist history there but aight. We need to understand we went from the GOAT TE and QB to an average TE and a QB that is really struggling throwing the ball to anyone.

Not really. Ben Watson was the tight end last year. This OC hasn't valued tight ends for 15 years. Only because Bill O'Brien developed a HOF tight end in Gronk we used TEs, but you see the last 2 years it's what the OC really thinks, he does not value the tight end position at all especially in the passing game. Same thing from 2005-2008, and in St Louis, and in Denver, and now the last 2 years.
Bill OBrien developed Gronk? Lol

Bill OBrien developed Gronk? Lol

Gronk Edelman Hernandez all drafted and developed under O'Brien's tenure. Hmm let's see, 2012 to now with McDaniels, who?? Nobody. Meyers who he didn't even know was good and buried on the bench for most of this year. Harris buried on the bench for most of this year and only played when Sony went on IR. So yes. It's a blatantly obvious problem that no young offensive kill players have developed after O'Brien left and under the current OC.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back