PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any Interest In Benjamin Watson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ben Dreith...SMH in disgust.

Today the world is FULL of Ben Dreiths...shoulda seen it coming

Russ Francis was a great player for the Pats whose legendary status was helped immensely by Howard Cossell's "All World" description when everybody watched Monday Nite Football..

Francis played 8 years for NEP and 6 for San Francisco, his numbers overall were comparable.. however his TD's were much less on the left coast..

Without regard he was a prototypical TE without all that much fanfare and media hype.. but the media hype than and the media hype today are two completely different animals, there is no comparison.

I would be interested to hear what one of the more mature posters here has to say about that play involving Francis.
Nothing without some serious expletives. My brother and I were going ballistic. The original broadcast slow motion replay (which remains missing to this day) revealed what makes the play in the Saints-Rams NFCCG look legitimately questionable. (Yes.) It was right in front of the ref. And, the worst was yet to come. This was the quintessential home job. All the hyperbole attached to supposed ripoffs is and always will only be applicable to this game.

A TIGHT END WHO HANGS REAL LOOSE

Sorry, but Gronk's got nothing on Russ on being the most colorful Pats tight end ever.

"...Francis is off in the wild blue again, musing on the time he was flying Phil Villapiano, the linebacker Oakland recently traded to Buffalo, in his plane. Francis says he turned the plane upside down, remarking to Villapiano, 'Now, about that interference call last year...'"

I was too young to watch him play myself but until he took his last breath, my dad remained furious about the lack of a pass interference call on the Raiders in the 1976 playoff game. According to my dad the patriots just needed a first down to seal the game and run out the clock. Grogan threw a pass to Frances and the DB “pinned both of his arms to his sides” (my dad’s words) but no call was made. This may have been one play before Sam “Bam” Cunningham inexplicably ran out of bounds 1 yard short of the first down marker. Those are two of the three plays that he never could get over, the third, of course, being the terrible roughing the passer call, which may have been the correct call in 2019 but it sure as sh’*t was not in 1976.
John Madden is a good man, and an extremely nice person, an ambassador for the game and showed heroic compassion for Darryl Stingley for which I'm grateful.

However, for Patriots fans, like myself, John Madden will always be nothing more than a fat tub of lard celebrating moronically in the Rose Bowl in 1977 with a cheap shot-driven, criminal, fraud, crybaby bunch of losers who were handed a fake title which they did not earn, and do not deserve.

1976–77 NFL playoffs - Wikipedia

"That was one of the worst-called games I have ever seen in my life," said an angry Patriots DE Julius Adams.

"That's what you say," said Raiders Coach John Madden when the Pats' complaints were brought to his attention by a writer. "If you could sit there for 60 minutes and say the officials turned that game around with penalties at the end, you were wasting your time. You were eating a hot dog somewhere instead of watching what was going on. There was some great football out there."

Madden is the one who was stuffing hot dogs in his face. Fairbanks wasn't and saw the entire debacle up close, three and one half years of work to bring a championship home to Foxborough being flushed down the toilet by collection of corrupt excuses for officials who spent more time listening to Raiders crybabying about five Super Bowls being stolen from them instead of paying some attention to their job.

Ben Dreith...SMH in disgust.

Today the world is FULL of Ben Dreiths...shoulda seen it coming
No, Dreith is unique.

The fact he kept his job for years, including working Super Bowl XV, also a Raider victory albeit deserved that time, speaks for the fundamental problems with the NFL.

I saw a Bengals-Oilers game refereed by him in the early 80's which just deteriorated into a surreal mess with both teams incredulous, but the incompetence and missed calls were distributed evenly between the two teams, totally unlike in 1976.

Ben Dreith - Wikipedia

"By 1990, Dreith reached the age of 65 and the league asked him to move into the instant replay booth. He refused and was demoted to line judge. Dreith was fired after the season, thus prompting him to send a complaint to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).

On February 13, 1991, the EEOC ruled that the NFL had violated the Age Discrimination in Employment Act by illegally demoting Dreith. After attempts to reach a compromise with the league, the EEOC sued the NFL on August 13. In the first-ever lawsuit filed by the agency against Professional Football for age discrimination, the EEOC claimed that the NFL unfairly reviewed the job performance of older referees more closely than that of younger officials. The EEOC also noted that the league's performance ratings showed that Dreith performed better than some of the younger officials who were retained.

On January 5, 1993, Dreith and the NFL agreed to a $165,000 settlement, plus court costs and attorney fees."

God, what a tool.

We should be thankful for Walt Coleman. Who simply did his job.

But, the 1976 team will always be my favorite Patriots ever. Like your first kiss, you never quite get to that level of exhilaration again. That the title was aborted by the officials is sad, but it doesn't change who we were and are, forever. This is and always will be the redemption, the historic achievement which proved to the world, including the sick, corrupt NFL, that the New England Patriots are and always were legitimate, and they can stuff all their denigration of us up their ass, the same place they put all their denigration of the AFL for all those years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back