PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Antonio Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several people think Brown has a good chance, most noticeably Michael McCann, who is probably the most prominent sports-lawyer-journalist in the industry.

What prominent experts do you see saying he won't get paid?
He’s clearly going to win this.

The Pats don't need AB. And NO. They aren't paying him. Your reading comprehension is horrible. What you posted was ESPN and NBC Opinion pieces.
Isn’t that, uh, exactly what you asked for?
You'll forgive me if I don't put an ounce of trust in supposed "league sources". Nor do I care to read your regurgitated blathering every other post since you keep on harping on things that you don't understand.
And you’ll forgive me if I don’t put an ounce of trust in some anonymous blowhard on the internet who has already proven he doesn’t know what he’s talking about time and time again.

Last edited:
P(l)lay the b(l)east.

Yeah lets pay him again to not play for us. Why won't Kraft and Belichick come on here to take the free wisdom you so graciously have blessed us with.

We're already paying him. We won't pay him again or more.

The Pats don't need AB. And NO. They aren't paying him. Your reading comprehension is horrible. What you posted was ESPN and NBC Opinion pieces.

You'll forgive me if I don't put an ounce of trust in supposed "league sources". Nor do I care to read your regurgitated blathering every other post since you keep on harping on things that you don't understand.

The issue you seem to be ignoring is that Brown KNEW that the lawsuit was coming because of the failed settlement talks and chose not to reveal it to the Patriots. I noticed neither article mentions the supposed NDA that you've ranted about. You'd think that they would do so if it existed since it would give Brown an out for not telling the Patriots.

The claim that the situation with the artist wasn't a "pre-existing condition and doesn't fall under the representation warranty clause" doesn't jive either because Brown clearly knew about it since the charity that she worked for had been trying, unsuccessfully, to get the $700 that Brown agreed to pay for the portrait of himself from the charity auction. And that damning information comes from the head of the charity. Not the artist.

You might want to educate yourself on the NFL Personal Conduct Policy and the Conduct clause that is normal in every contract.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2014/12/10/0ap3000000441637.pdf

Section 11 of the Standard Player contract:

"... if Player has engaged in personal conduct reasonably judged by Club to ad-versely affect or reflect on Club, then Club may terminate this contract..."

blah blah blah. Once they pay the salary, I can come back and bump this and say "I told you so".

So, Biff, if it’s such a no-brainer to sign Brown why has no team done it yet?

Other teams would have to pay him new money and for the Patriots this wouldn't be the case. Even though it sounds extremely likely he will win his grievance for the signing bonus, there's still a tiny chance he might lose. He's made many public statements that he wants to come back, and seems like he will play for whatever was initially agreed upon (see title of this thread). He would probably have to sign the veteran minimum or something like that, and agree to drop any grievance he has pending full restitution of his original signing bonus. For him that would mean a shot at redemption plus no more worries about getting paid. For the Patriots it means they get the best WR in the league for free, essentially. This is how I see it, and how it would work, and why it's a no-brainer for ONLY the Patriots.

Okay this is beyond idiotic at this point. This receiving corp went from deadly to mediocre in a month’s time.

Re-sign Brown and let’s get the offense rolling again.

Sanu is not the answer to our problems, especially now with Gordon out...another wideout prematurely gone.

Proven by who? Not you. Not the AB lover, Biffins.

Hey DaBruinz,

First off, I would like to say that I would LOVE a reason to agree with the release of Brown. Violating a direct promise to the team about such a specific request would make me feel better about the release, no doubt!

Since you are saying they told Brown not to text the girls, clearly you are referring to some kind of report you've seen and not just speculating (if you're speculating then it doesn't mean anything). Anyways, I will show you articles that came out telling him to stop after the last texting fiasco, no problem (9/20 - two days after - NFL told Antonio Brown to stop contacting second accuser). I have yet to see a single article or report showing that the NFL/Patriots told him to stop texting before this happened (if they did, why did this report come out after-the-fact at all? why wasn't the report that Brown violated a team agreement to stop texting anyone in his personal life?).

And I'm being genuine here - please show me where this was reported BEFORE the texts (the date of the article/report will confirm it) - I would LOVE to feel better about the decision to release him, that he did actually break a team/NFL rule about how to handle his private/out-of-court personal life, but I am not going to rewrite history to make myself feel better about the release.

Thanks in advance!

Bring him back. AB + Historic defense = Guaranteed Super Bowl and probably 19-0.

Get off the fictional moral high horse and dominate football games. We can do even better than 33-0.

We're already paying him. We won't pay him again or more.

YOU aren't paying him anything since you aren't a stakeholder in the Patriots organization. .
The Krafts aren't paying Brown anything more than they already have (2 game checks). Which is why he filed the grievance. Nothing you have said will change that.

...wait a minute, “bring back Antonio Brown” is still a thing to some people?

Other teams would have to pay him new money and for the Patriots this wouldn't be the case.
Of course NE would have to pay him new money. It's not allowed to have (and nor would Brown sign) a $0 "we already paid you so we don't need to pay you now" contract. So NE would be on the hook for a vet minimum worth of new money at the very least. Furthermore, a new contract cannot lower or affect in any way the 2019 & 2020 dead money cap hits from the first, terminated contract. If he dropped his grievance then the unpaid money would result in a cap credit in 2020, but nothing can undo the 2019 dead money hit.

Of course NE would have to pay him new money. It's not allowed to have (and nor would Brown sign) a $0 "we already paid you so we don't need to pay you now" contract. Furthermore, a new contract cannot lower or affect in any way the 2019 & 2020 dead money cap hits from the first contract.

Yes, technically there is "new money", but it would not be significant - that's the point. He's already getting the signing bonus, and the new contract would be much smaller to reflect/compensate that.

People need to get it through their heads that there is noting thats says the exempt list requires any charges, criminal or otherwise.

Yep. Worst thing that could’ve happened was the Tyreek Hill situation, though. It gave people the idea that the exempt list is reserved for those charged with a crime

Okay this is beyond idiotic at this point. This receiving corp went from deadly to mediocre in a month’s time.

Re-sign Brown and let’s get the offense rolling again.

Sanu is not the answer to our problems, especially now with Gordon out...another wideout prematurely gone.
The worst part of the situation is that they immediately become a team with a strong possibility of running the table at 19-0. But AB just can’t be trusted, man. He couldn’t stay out of trouble for TWO weeks here, but he’s going to last all year? Cmon

all of this is moot though, since the NFL is intentionally slow walking his investigation

I get it, there are a lot of fans that want him to play. But just stop and reason with yourself for one minute. What makes you think he is going to be able to play? If he could he would of been signed within 48 hours after the Pats released him.

A story in another rag quoting the SI follow up story after his release. I linked it previously.

No. Actually, you didn't link it previously in this thread. Maybe somewhere else, but not here. I went back and double-checked. The only post you have that linked a story was #716 that had a Yahoo link. And no where did it mention anything about a letter from the 2nd woman's lawyer thanking the league. Nor did it mention anything about the negotiations or what led up to Brown walking up to the 2nd woman with just a towel over his balls.

I'm sure everyone would like to see said article. Especially since those sorts of details didn't seem to make it into other reporter's reportings.. Just like no one seems to corroborate the NDA claims made by some..

You're right. It's totally possible to have a world-class defense, an awesome QB, good running game, and just JAGs like Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney for WR and win the Superbowl.

oh wait..........

Oh and btw, the team that beat us that year had Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne............... not that it matters.

And were massively helped out by the referees.. Not that it matters...

No. Actually, you didn't link it previously in this thread. Maybe somewhere else, but not here. I went back and double-checked. The only post you have that linked a story was #716 that had a Yahoo link. And no where did it mention anything about a letter from the 2nd woman's lawyer thanking the league. Nor did it mention anything about the negotiations or what led up to Brown walking up to the 2nd woman with just a towel over his balls.

I'm sure everyone would like to see said article. Especially since those sorts of details didn't seem to make it into other reporter's reportings.. Just like no one seems to corroborate the NDA claims made by some..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes