PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Antonio Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
AB is gone. They'd have to use the remaining cap space to bring him back if my understanding is correct and if so it would make no sense to do so.

Now suppose we settle with AB, grievance disappears, bring him back, and restructure the deal for $6m instead of $9m (since a third of season is gone) and split it $2m this year and $4m next year, then not only do we get AB but also $3m cap space this year

I would assume his guarantees would offset against any new guarantees so he'd essentially really play for free. Where free means we are unsure of the outcome of the grievance.

AB is gone. They'd have to use the remaining cap space to bring him back if my understanding is correct and if so it would make no sense to do so.

What do you mean? He’s currently eating $5m from this year’s cap and $4m from 2020 cap. We can’t touch that cap since he’s filed a grievance that won’t settle till next year. If it’s decided we don’t have to pay him, we’ll get credit for this $5m next year and that $4m hit for next year would disappear.

Now suppose we settle with AB, grievance disappears, bring him back, and restructure the deal for $6m instead of $9m (since a third of season is gone) and split it $2m this year and $4m next year, then not only do we get AB but also $3m cap space this year for adding a TE (Watson?) etc that we couldn’t otherwise fit in.

Almost makes too much sense!

Last edited:
What do you mean? He’s currently eating $5m from this year’s cap and $4m from 2020 cap. We can’t touch that cap since he’s filed a grievance that won’t settle till next year. If it’s decided we don’t have to pay him, we’ll get credit for this $5m next year and that $4m hit for next year would disappear.

Now suppose we settle with AB, grievance disappears, bring him back, and restructure the deal for $6m instead of $9m (since a third of season is gone) and split it $2m this year and $4m next year, then not only do we get AB but also $3m cap space this year for adding a TE (Watson?) etc that we couldn’t otherwise fit in.

Almost makes too much sense!

Ok. I stand corrected.

you’re on a roll!! :);)
Could do like a Total Recall type-thing as well.

He walks in as AB. Gets hooked up to the gizmos, picks "Patriots Vacation Package" as Julian Edelman", scrambles his brain a little and hes now singing the Patriot Way for the rest of the year.

He walks in as AB. Gets hooked up to the gizmos, picks "Patriots Vacation Package" as Julian Edelman", scrambles his brain a little and hes now singing the Patriot Way for the rest of the year.

What about hypnosis?

E85A34E0-A5B9-4C73-B6F9-BC185B4981A6.png 0AD25D51-7B78-4DFD-927C-FB54F2C4C2FC.gif

Ok. I stand corrected.
I don't think you should consider yourself such.

You can't go back and change the effects of the previous, terminated contract. Once a contract is terminated its current year cap effects are set in stone.

No matter what, Brown counts for $5mil in dead money this year and there's no way to change that. As far as the cap is concerned Brown Part 2 is a different player than Brown Part 1. The $5mil dead money on the 2019 cap for from Brown Part 1 can't be reduced by a new contract.

So if NE resigned him they'd have to fit him into the current cap the same way they'd have to fit in any newly signed player.

Last edited:
Even if his long shot re-signing were to happen, I think it’s pretty obvious that nothing gets done until the league rules on their investigation.

Considering they haven’t even interviewed him yet, the NFL clearly wants him sidelined for as long as possible.

So if NE resigned him they'd have to fit him into the current cap the same way they'd have to fit in any newly signed player.

I find it hard to believe that the Pats had no offset language in his contract. Given how broad their voiding language was I am sure they also protected themselves with offsets.

Even if his long shot re-signing were to happen, I think it’s pretty obvious that nothing gets done until the league rules on their investigation.

Considering they haven’t even interviewed him yet, the NFL clearly wants him sidelined for as long as possible.

As others have said.. it is a bit of a causal loop right now. Teams are hesitant because there is no clarity about his status for this season, but the league has no rush to come to finish up any investigation since he is not a on a roster.

The NFL hasn’t sidelined him at all, he sidelined himself. He’s eligible to play but no one wants to touch him. Any team that wants to can sign him right now.

The NFL hasn’t sidelined him at all, he sidelined himself. He’s eligible to play but no one wants to touch him. Any team that wants to can sign him right now.
That’s all well known, but thanks I guess.

And they’re “sidelining” him in regards to not hurrying the investigation, if in fact he is innocent and found her story not believable, which would have to be the case anyway if he wants any shot of playing to begin with.

You can't go back and change the effects of the previous, terminated contract. Once a contract is terminated its current year cap effects are set in stone.

No matter what, Brown counts for $5mil in dead money this year and there's no way to change that. As far as the cap is concerned Brown Part 2 is a different player than Brown Part 1. The $5mil dead money on the 2019 cap for from Brown Part 1 can't be reduced by a new contract.

That doesn't make sense. The $5m cap hit is on the books since that's what the contract guarantee stated. If AB releases the contract guarantee and settles immediately, why would it still be on the books? Clearly something going on that I don't understand.

And Kraft wants to squelch the video b/c of the 3-breasted professional...

Ok. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents