PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

another receiver signed - Bennie Fowler

Status
Not open for further replies.
He can cover kicks. Awful as a WR though.

He can cover kicks. Awful as a WR though.

In 2015, Manning's last season, Fowler had a 64% catch rate (and caught Manning's final NFL pass in the SB - a 2-point conversion).

In 2016 & 2017, Fowler averaged a 50% catch rate with Siemian, Osweiler and Lynch throwing the ball.

- 698 receiving yards and 5 TDs in three seasons with only one fumble (self-recovered)
- averaged 227 ST snaps per season, 15 ST snaps per game (would be top-5 on the Pats)
- averaged about 2 tgts and 1 rec per game

Seems like a fine #4/#5 WR to me, especially on a 1-yr deal at the minimum salary.

Not to me, even on a one-year contract at the vet minimum.

Damning with faint praise.

Fowler is a STer, first and foremost. If he's successful in kick/punt coverages, and isn't needed for more than about 12 catches on the season, then he's a fine signing at the vet minimum.

But, yeah - outlasting Coleman on the roster probably won't be a high bar.

Presuming that we carry a full roster, this isn't a matter of whether a player is worth the money. It is a matter of whether he is worth a roster spot TODAY, and then whether the is worth a roster spot on Game Day.

I know your frustrated at not being paid by a team for your knowledge that Fowler isn't worth having on the 53 for a tryout an in case a special teamer is heart in practice this week.

Not to me, even on a one-year contract at the vet minimum.

Damning with faint praise.

Kid can play. Good signing

Presuming that we carry a full roster, this isn't a matter of whether a player is worth the money. It is a matter of whether he is worth a roster spot TODAY, and then whether the is worth a roster spot on Game Day.

I know your frustrated at not being paid by a team for your knowledge that Fowler isn't worth having on the 53 for a tryout an in case a special teamer is heart in practice this week.

I think that the Fowler signing may be related to Hollister's recovery from his hamstring injury, at least in part. Over the course of last season, Hollister had developed into a pretty good player on the kick and punt coverage units. If Hollister is still limited in practice this week, Fowler may be active in his place. It seems to me that Fowler is at least a bit more likely than McCarron to be able to make positive contributions on those ST coverage units.

OTOH, if Hollister is healthy, he may be activated while Fowler sits. It's also possible that both are active while JMac sits. It'll be interesting to see how that all works out, anyway.

This idea of signing a ST player who can also play a WR is better than signing a WR who can play special teams.. particularly as a PR....

Once again we descend into the abyss of arguing over active player #47 or inactive player #53.. nice luxury, eh???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back